Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's very unpleasant to watch, but no, I'm not sick of it. I want to know about this. What happened? What can we learn from this? How can we work to prevent future tragedies like this?

Now all the political stuff - yeah - sick of that particularly since I'm in a "swing state". But this seems important to me and I feel so deeply for those who have suffered. I want to know and remember them.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I don't watch much TV either. However I had CNN on while I was looking at ER.org on my iPad and all they could talk about was the shooting. They showed the courtroom video with the idiot shooter and his red/orange hair and grimaces and then they went on and on about how he boobytrapped his apartment. That's what prompted this thread frankly. I thought why are they focused on the monster? They should refer to the shooters as little as possible and in the most unflattering manner possible when they do IMO. Don't give them the satisfaction of any attention, might just help breed more of them...FWIW.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 07-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack
I don't watch much TV either. However I had CNN on while I was looking at ER.org on my iPad and all they could talk about was the shooting. They showed the courtroom video with the idiot shooter and his red/orange hair and grimaces and then they went on and on about how he boobytrapped his apartment. That's what prompted this thread frankly. I thought why are they focused on the monster? They should refer to the shooters as little as possible and in the most unflattering manner possible when they do IMO. Don't give them the satisfaction of any attention, might just help breed more of them...FWIW.
I'm throwing my hat in here with my pal Midpack. Well, I guess I usually do.

What happened was horrible and the victims and loved ones deserve privacy.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I gave up on CNN years ago. Their coverage is superficial and inane. Once upon a time it was quite good. No longer.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I'm sorry for the families. After you've heard what happened (takes about 2 minutes) there's really not much to the story. It's horrific but not interesting (to me).
Old 07-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
But this seems important to me and I feel so deeply for those who have suffered. I want to know and remember them.
This strikes me as a curious sentiment. Why do you want to know and remember them? I feel for them and can easily envision myself in their place, but I don't want to know them. They deserve their privacy.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 07-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The answer to all that is to turn it off and get a life. It's a load of crap.
Pretty much my view. I read the financial media, but I don't take it too seriously. The general media news? Useless irritainment. The only thing I want to know from those buttholes is when the zombie apocalypse has started. But even then I figure it will be pretty obvious.

- George Orwell

Old 07-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I gave up on CNN years ago. Their coverage is superficial and inane. Once upon a time it was quite good. No longer.
Agree. But the great thing about having cable, I have probably 75 other stations to watch if I get tired of certain news.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Once the networks see us tune out, or skip through, this coverage the sooner it will go away. No advertiser wants to loose eyes.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
This strikes me as a curious sentiment. Why do you want to know and remember them? I feel for them and can easily envision myself in their place, but I don't want to know them. They deserve their privacy.
You're right brewer. In my haste, I worded this all wrong and didn't correctly express what's in my heart. I don't want to forget them and hope we can learn something from this. They sure do deserve their privacy and I'd never want to invade that. Just heartbroken about this. Can't even begin to imagine what they're going through.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Like Audrey I don't have tv. I don't listen to radio either. I have four or five news sources feeds on my IGoogle home page, so can see at a glance any major headline, though I rarely click on them to read. I scan the homepage of my local newspaper every day at lunch,and look at the WSJ and Economist sites most days. Beyond that, I tune out.
Highly recommended to not get involved in news stories. I mean, who is to say these people suffered more than those injured or killed in Syria this month, or in the floods of China? I find the higher valuation of American lives curious in this context.
And as for crazy people? They are damn near everywhere.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
... I mean, who is to say these people suffered more than those injured or killed in Syria this month, or in the floods of China? I find the higher valuation of American lives curious in this context.
I imagine those tragedies were covered in greater extent in Syria and China, Sarah, vs. the Colorado shootings.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
You're right brewer. In my haste, I worded this all wrong and didn't correctly express what's in my heart. I don't want to forget them and hope we can learn something from this. They sure do deserve their privacy and I'd never want to invade that. Just heartbroken about this. Can't even begin to imagine what they're going through.
Don't go watch mediocre pablum in movie theatres? Crazy people are everywhere? I don't see an obvious lessn. Its just another senseless tragedy. Strangers die every day, unfortunately.

- George Orwell

Old 07-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Ont thing which will be very helpful in reducing the future coverage of this is if Holmes and the DA agree to a plea deal and spare us all the media circus of a trial.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 07-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

The news people love it when something like this happens. It gives them weeks worth of coverage. I watched for the first day or two and stopped when they started talking about each victim.

It's a very tragic situation but learning about each person that was affected will not help anything.

I don't have cable either but for some reason I get MSNBC. I haven't been able to watch in days. Well, the crap they spew is hard to watch anytime but I don't have many alternatives.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What I can't understand is why this is a big deal on Canadian news feeds. Don't we have Doesn't Toronto have enough of this that we can stick to domestic content?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #37
gone traveling

Totally tired of the way the media saturates all these type of tragedies. I wish they would bring on the happy news, but I guess nobody would tune in to that
Old 07-25-2012, 07:23 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
What's the trick to just being able to turn it off internally so you don't care what's coming out of the radio speaker or a friend's mouth?
A CD, and different friends?

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 07-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I mostly tune out when the story gets extensive coverage, but I do wish they would cover stories like this a lot less. I fear that the media circus is just the kind of attention that makes potential unbalanced future perpetrators more attracted to attempting spectacular crimes, not to mention gives potential copycats ideas.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

No. I'm not tired of it. I live less than a mile from Aurora, that devil was in my town's court, and is currently housed in my town's jail. I don't like his name called so I use a few pet names of my own.

Fortunately, I can get ample coverage on our local new channels and online.