Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

I live in MA within 5 miles of Boston. I haven't had cable TV for at least 10 years. I get more than 25 channels with good reception using just a Radio Shack indoor antenna. I had a Mohu Leaf but for some reason it needed constant repositioning. The rabbit ears work better.

I have the rabbit ears hooked up to a HDHomeRun digital tuner, and use EyeTV software on the Mac to record or watch from the HDHomeRun. The Mac has a second monitor that can be turned to an easy chair for viewing or turned toward the computer for normal computer work.

EyeTV works with the free TitanTV listing service so that when you select something to record, it enters the data directly in to the EyeTV software. I just go through the week's TV listings and pick out what I want to record.

I have Netflix but am really only interested in watching recent movies. Tons of stuff in both of my queues but very little that is any better than what I can record OTA. If Netflix gets any more expensive I will drop it and do RedBox, which I can walk to.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
If you have the will power to not add on stuff, then OTA if you have good reception is the way to go to save. Otherwise, before long, add a bit here, a bit there before long, the price ends up the same or more if you didn't cut the cord.
If saving money was the only motivator in my happiness, then I would drop my golf club membership, sell my vacation condo, never travel anywhere and just sit on my back porch and watch the birds fly by. But enjoy doing those things along with watching sports channels that I can't get via OTA. Vue gives me those channels at a reduced price. So I'm happy.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:50 AM   #63
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
If saving money was the only motivator in my happiness, then I would drop my golf club membership, sell my vacation condo, never travel anywhere and just sit on my back porch and watch the birds fly by. But enjoy doing those things along with watching sports channels that I can't get via OTA. Vue gives me those channels at a reduced price. So I'm happy.

Everyone has different priorities, but I've found that cutting back from 200 channels of cable TV to 60 channels of OTA and Netflix not only saved me a lot of money, but it also freed up a lot of my time to do more constructive stuff. Now I PLAY sports for five days a week and watch sports only on weekends for free OTA. My health has improved tremendously and I don't really miss sitting around watching midweek games anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MoneyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #64

Quote:
I will have to look at Vue but agree with you. Following my favorite teams makes me happy and willing to pay for it.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1. Like Moneycat said too about everyone having priorities.

One person's splurge is another's happiness.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
+1. Like Moneycat said too about everyone having priorities.

One person's splurge is another's happiness.
Quite true.

I am pretty happy that I am not a big sports fan. On occasion I will watch a playoff game or something and even go to a baseball game (cheap seats!) a couple of times a year, but that's about it. I think a lot of the reason cable is so expensive is because of the hard core sports fans and as I understand it, the biggest reason why we can't have ala carte pricing for cable TV.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yeah, but I can watch the original Star Trek for FREEE via OTA. I don't care what episode, I'm not that picky. I love the experience of discovering that it is on, when it is on - - wouldn't rob myself of that joy, either. I dunno; like I said, I'm weird.
One advantage of watching streamed over OTA is watching some programs that aren't over OTA. For example, at this moment I'm watching the coverage of the Muhammad Ali funeral procession, which is not one regular, OTA TV.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:37 AM   #68

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Yes, have been watching OTA TV for at least five years now. After a bad experience with DirecTV following a move and them forcing me to pay hundreds in 'fees', I swore I'd never go back to them again. I've kept my word, and have watched gleefully as they continue to lose subscribers. No they're not bankrupt yet, but their antiquated business model is getting hammered by the rise of online TV

So, currently we have OTA, netflix, and slingTV
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

When the price of Netflix starts going up rapidly (which I am convinced that it will at some point), I think the result may be a lot of misery and upset people on the forum.

Not for me, though. I'll just happily continue enjoying free digital TV and the multitude of other free (non-TV) forms of entertainment that I have available to me.

Life is a bowl of cherries.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Here's another service coming soon. Similar to Sling and VUE. Nice to have some options if one does not want to go with OTA channels only.

SFN TV: A New Live TV Streaming Service is Coming & It Could Be One of the Best… Starting at $5 Per Month | Cord Cutters News
Old 06-10-2016, 12:02 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's another service coming soon. Similar to Sling and VUE. Nice to have some options if one does not want to go with OTA channels only.

SFN TV: A New Live TV Streaming Service is Coming & It Could Be One of the Best… Starting at $5 Per Month | Cord Cutters News
Competition is a good thing. The more the merrier. Not sure about the other options, but when I used Sling last fall, was happy that I could quit anytime, as I did when baseball season for me officially ended and I could easily go back to OTA only (not including Amazon Prime).
Old 06-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
When the price of Netflix starts going up rapidly (which I am convinced that it will at some point), I think the result may be a lot of misery and upset people on the forum.

Not for me, though. I'll just happily continue enjoying free digital TV and the multitude of other free (non-TV) forms of entertainment that I have available to me. ....
Not for me either, as I have had netflix for years and have watched most of what I want to watch when I want to watch it for only $8/mo.

So when they jack up the price, I can stop it, as I have experience doing that same thing with cable, and I will have watched what I wanted.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote