Join Early Retirement Today

Are your devices running slow...perhaps being crypto-jacked?
Old 07-01-2018, 07:03 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

With the increasing popularity of virtual currencies, hackers are now putting malicious software on people's cell phones, TVs, smart refrigerators and using them to mine for digital money.

So-called "crypto-jacking" attacks have become a growing problem in the cybersecurity industry, affecting both consumers and organizations. Depending on the severity of the attack, victims may notice only a slight drop in processing power, often not enough for them to think it's a hacking attack. But that can add up to a lot of processing power over a period of months or if, say, a business's entire network of computers is affected.

https://phys.org/news/2018-06-smart-...inals.html#jCp

omni

omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2018, 08:22 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My laptop has been running so slow but only on Firefox .I tried reinstalling it and same problem .I finally eliminated it and am using Internet Explorer and it is running great .

Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:28 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I've noticed (or I think I have) that some sites, particularly "news" sites, load slowly or with a noticeable delay. I determined that my ad blockers were effective, and that the site was not showing up until all its ads, videos, etc. had been preloaded, although I never saw them.

The reason I think this is the problem is because they loaded much faster if I temporarily disabled my stuff.

Maybe this could be the OP's problem? Seems as if some browsers might work differently with different ad blockers.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

my browser ( Opera ) lets selected ads through ( like your download app feature ) but does block a lot it might just stop the resource hogs

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:08 PM   #5

If my computer has been compromised to the point where an unauthorized individual can run arbitrary software, then a few cpu cycles/kwH lost to Bitcoin mining would be the least of my worries.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would blame windows 10 updates as to why their browser works better then firefox. Firefox will probably come out with updates to counter that.
Not really on topic but Donors choose charity had a teacher ask for kits of books/software to teach her students how to mine bitcoins. That is probably good-teaches mad programming skills but -just WOW.
My start button quit working right after the last update. I found a fixit on youtube and am back running ok. Can't tell if I am slow,because I am slow.I Would hope malwarebytes picks up on something like that-or windows defender.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
If my computer has been compromised to the point where an unauthorized individual can run arbitrary software, then a few cpu cycles/kwH lost to Bitcoin mining would be the least of my worries.
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read the OP.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:24 PM   #8

I dunno. As I understand it, being crypto-jacked usually speeds things up

note: edited due to numerous requests
Old 07-01-2018, 04:02 PM   #9

I guess the article resonated with me because when I was in Buenos Aires, Argentina in December, we were warned about using cell phones, tablets, etc. in cafes due to heavy crypto-mining hacking in those locations.

omni
Old 07-01-2018, 04:28 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

With the increasing popularity of virtual currencies, hackers are now putting malicious software on people's cell phones, TVs, smart refrigerators and using them to mine for digital money.

By "digital money"... are you only referring to currency like Bitcoin ?
Or are you referring to any money that can be stolen via hacking ??
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
I guess the article resonated with me because when I was in Buenos Aires, Argentina in December, we were warned about using cell phones, tablets, etc. in cafes due to heavy crypto-mining hacking in those locations.

omni
Maybe they are hacking in through unsecured wireless connections at those cafes? I have no idea.

After reading this thread, I ran Malwarebytes and Norton and both came out clean. Haven't noticed any slowdowns.

Just for kicks I ran speedtest dot net, and it says I am getting 120.45 Mbps download! Fastest ever, due to Cox Cable upgrading their midlevel service this week in my location.

OK, I really need a hobby... I am having too much fun fiddling with my laptop computer.

- - - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
By "digital money"... are you only referring to currency like Bitcoin ?
Or are you referring to any money that can be stolen via hacking ??

I believe they are referring to crypto-currencies such as Bitcoin and the like.

omni