Join Early Retirement Today

Re: ARGH! Hacked twice in a month.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:19 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
It's not the size of the pay, position, or respect- it's the size of your IP block Mine is only a /29... you rule man. What do you use them all for?
Sorry, I'm being confusing again. The 4 /26's are at work and part of a couple of class B's and several class C's we have. (Big company.) And I'm running low on IP's and am short on switch ports. I'm over a local network of 100+ PCs, 20 or so printers and a bunch of other network devices of different sorts. Well, that's just my building; my workgroup whom I help out periodically covers several more buildings and an even more impressive array of subnets, VLANs and such. The big building has two routing networks, one of which runs production machinery and has two fully operational redundant networks. Everything on that network has at least one redundant link to the last switch...and perhaps to the network devices...I'll have to go double-check that as I don't usually touch that network. Even the computer systems that run production are fully redundant: if there's a critical error with today's operation they flip a switch and run on the other set of computers under yesterday's operating parameters and manually deal with any inconsistencies between the two days' operations. My bad restaurant service story was from when we were swapping out the core switches and patching in new gigabit fiber runs. 8) (My building still has a lot of 10Mbit and even has a dumb hub serving a few devices, but it's better than when I got here.)

The corporate network is fully contained on company leased lines. The only internet route is through corporate HQ. At work I don't have to worry about direct internet contact; just the occasional worm that gets lose in the network and users who try to bring in their own virus-and-spyware-infested laptops and PCs. Most of our network is publicly routable but well firewalled; we've outgrown our allotment so we're using private IP ranges in places. That's fun when you find a router that's still refusing to route private IPs.

I have a /29 at home but realized I can use all 8 publicly addressible IPs by calling it a /26 locally...I just lose access to 7 other /29's which are just other DSL home users and not likely ever to be used by me.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
I have a /29 at home but realized I can use all 8 publicly addressible IPs by calling it a /26 locally...I just lose access to 7 other /29's which are just other DSL home users and not likely ever to be used by me.
"ORLY?" that's a good idea.. never thought about doing that! Right now I only use two of the 8 IPs, but who knows...

I would have inserted the ORLY owl picture here, but he died

Quote:
SanDiego, California (AP) — Jonathan, the Snowy Owl made famous as the “ORLY” owl, has died in captivity in the San Diego Zoo.

The owl, which was 17 years old, died Tuesday afternoon after the sudden onset of pneumonia. He was young for an owl in captivity, however wild owlsonly live an average of 15 years.

Old 03-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Okay, the O RLY owl is new on me, but I caught up with Wikipedia.

Yeah, with the NAT I don't really need more than two at the moment, but just because I can....

Side note: All right, my $0.36 laptop power jacks came in today! Off to play with soldering irons...
Old 03-05-2006, 11:34 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
Anyone know of a cheap way to implement smartcard based authentication?
I don't know if it's cheap, but the Navy Reserve has made their home users install ActivCard Gold smart-card readers on their PCs. It works with the chip in their CAC IDs. You can imagine who on our home tech support staff was placed in charge of the project.

Lemme rephrase that-- I know it's cheap, but I'm not sure how expensive it is...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote