Arrivederci Forum

Re: Northern Italy - Travel Advice

Well, Venice got a good work out. nwsteve said - it's either your favorite or your least favorite. Well on this forum its either your least favorite or your most least favorite. :D
Could there be anyone that doesn't like Florence, Siena, Milan or Bologna? ;)
Don't respond CT - I know where you'll be standing - out in a stream in waders with a rod, glass of wine, hunk of bread, plate of pasta and your DW in scuba gear... :D

I'd pay to use the toilets in the US if they were as clean as some of them I visited in Germany. Usually, a woman would run in and wipe down the seat with disinfectant after every use! That's a service worth paying for!

yelnad,
nice use of the word ;SOME

I've used SOME that were not so pleasant. German's eat Brat's and the effluent is not as pleasant as you suggest.

I just spent almost 3 weeks in Sienna and Florence a few weeks ago.  Contrary to the above, it is very easy to have mediocre meals in Italy.  Both of these towns have so many tourists that bad restaurants can survive for years and years just on new clientel alone.

In Florence, a good meal was at The Lob (http://www.florencevillas.com/newsletter/newsletter_12.html

Friends ate at Santini Ristorante which they declared was one of the best ristorante's in Firenze.  Unfortunately I was not able to eat there due to busy schedule.  I think coat & tie may be required, but I'm not quite sure.

OldAgePensioner said:
yelnad,
nice use of the word ;SOME

I've used SOME that were not so pleasant. German's eat Brat's and the effluent is not as pleasant as you suggest.
Too much information Old! :LOL:

LOL! - Thanks for the link and reference to Santini
:)

Agreed... we talk too much about politicians!! :p

MRGALT2U said:
Hey, what happened to Don R??

JG
He went on hiatus ;) - don't think hehateus

After a visit to Firenze, I still have this image burned into one of my remaining three brain cells.

Early evening, just at dusk, strolling near the Uffizi and seeing so many elegantly dressed, beautiful blonde Italian women (yes, blonde). Only negative was they had a crusty old man lurking along side. ME :D

Here's a destination and activity a bit more off the beaten path:

Bathing at Dawn in Saturnia, Tuscany

And I'm late to this thread but can I just say that Rick Steves annoys the hell out of me--the first time I stumbled on this TV show he just seems to personify a certain type of tourist who just sticks out like a sore thumb--despite his contention of having an authentic non-touristy experience by following his advice and books you're almost guaranteeing the opposite.

As told me by a friend while travelling near Siena:

We met some folks on the bus going to Siena and asked them what their plans were. They said that they were no longer going to visit Florence because they had heard of a much better place to visit. Intrigued by the notion of a place better than Florence, my friend asked them where they were going instead. The answer: They were going to visit Firenze.

LOL! said:
As told me by a friend while travelling near Siena:

We met some folks on the bus going to Siena and asked them what their plans were. They said that they were no longer going to visit Florence because they had heard of a much better place to visit. Intrigued by the notion of a place better than Florence, my friend asked them where they were going instead. The answer: They were going to visit Firenze.
That's right! I'm going to see the real Italy - Firenze Milano Venezia and I'm going to take in some Boloney too

Calgary_Girl said:
Am I the only one that doesn't care for Italy? DH and I were in Venice a couple of years ago and we didn't care for it too much after 2 days once the novelty wore off. We found Italian food expensive and the locals pretty rude.

After Venice, we headed to Dubrovnik and luckily the vacation picked up. We had a great time and will definitely be going back there.

I've vacationed in Italy three times. Out of all the places I've visited Venice is is my least favorite. I was there 16 years ago. I always assumed I didn't enjoy it because I was traveling alone.

DanTien and Ms. DanTien are off to Italy tomorrow.... just wanted to say:
Grazie for all your help and advice.
Arrivederci Forum! :-*
Not sure Italy will be as cool as the forum, but I'll try to have some fun anyway.
Dov'e la toilette?

Back
Top Bottom