Arsenal of Democracy Flyover

Walt34

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
If you live in the area of Washington, D.C. this is an event that hasn't happened in 70 years - WWII era bombers and fighter aircraft flying over the Capitol. Planned for Friday, May 8, 2015, if you're an aviation nut it may be worth being there to see.

Arsenal of Democracy Flyover | WWII Victory Capitol Flyover

These aircraft are all privately owned (many by foundations) and will include the world's last flying B-29 bomber, an amazingly advanced aircraft at the time.

When I see the youtube documentaries of what those pilots and crews did, I am awed.

Wow!
Too cool. I'm sorely tempted to go there to see that.

I hope there is some good coverage of this on TV.

I was just reading the May issue of Air&Space and saw the write up on this. Tempted to drive down to celebrate my 1 year anniversary of ER. I live in Hamilton and we are lucky to have the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum here. Frequently have the Lancaster, Mitchell, Catalina and C-47 flying overhead. Nothing like the sound of those 4 Merlins on the Lanc!

A coincidence that I checked out a book at the library today with the same title. It's by A.J. Baime and it's about Detroit (specifically Ford) switching to making bombers and supporting the war effort. I've read another great book of his called Go Like Hell and it's about Ford trying to beat Ferrari at Le Mans in the 1960's. I couldn't put it down. I'm hoping Arsenal of Democracy is equally as good.

Last edited:
Excellent! I'd love to be in DC for this. It will be quite an air show.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Thanks for posting- don't think I'll make the trip to DC but might catch the exhibit at the Smithsonian.

Thanks for posting- don't think I'll make the trip to DC but might catch the exhibit at the Smithsonian.

That's probably what I'll do. I generally hate going to DC, but for this I'll think about it. First I'll have to see what the forecasts are for crowds and if most people are going to ignore it I might go.

Back
Top Bottom