Join Early Retirement Today

Art
Old 06-18-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
...still, the theory holds and applies tangentially. everything here is so easy. so predictable. i could lose my eyesight and still be able to shop at the local supermarket, knowing all my products and their shelving that well. i know the roads, i know the weather, i know the animals, i know the people. i want to know what i don't know.
There are simple activities if you want to challenge youself and don't want to get to physically challenged. For instance, there is art. There is a whole world out there to sketch and paint. People are constantly finding new ways to express themselves in art. I started out doing some drawing on my own, took several JC classes in drawing, figure drawing, painting, color theory, even art history. If you really try in 6 months it's possible to be a pretty good drawer but you need to really do it and not get discouraged. Here are some photos of a painting group I occasionally go out with in our local area -- the Monday Morning Painters (I'm in a green sweatshirt): Monday Morning Plein Air Painters

If you ever had to stand in front of a white canvas and compose something appealing then you know the terror and challenge and pleasure that lurks in the art world.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #2

Beautiful fields of lavender, Isbcal! What pretty scenery to paint.

Lazy, don't pray for patience either, you'll surely be tested!
You need another road trip, while you are waiting for the pieces to fall into place with your house sales. That is a recipe for curing that restless feeling!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
For instance, there is art. There is a whole world out there to sketch and paint.
I agree. My version, however, is "painting with light" -- photo graphy. Same song, different verse.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:37 AM   #4
Administrator

What beautiful scenery, lsbcal, and what an enjoyable day that must have been!

Right now I am stuck at work with an avalanche of papers, but it won't be long....

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

lsbcal, now that's what I call a quality activity! Just beautiful...and you didn't even have to go to France for it. Just two questions:

Did you get to pick and use the lavendar?

Don't we get to your see your painting?
Old 06-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
lsbcal, now that's what I call a quality activity! Just beautiful...and you didn't even have to go to France for it. Just two questions:

Did you get to pick and use the lavendar?
The winery harvests the lavendar and this was just at harvest time. We're going back there this Monday, again just before harvest. Lavendar grows very easily around here so we have plenty of it at our house.
Quote:
Don't we get to your see your painting?
I didn't keep the painting from that day. Had trouble doing anything interesting with all that lavendar. And the light changed from overcast to full sun. Just a few excuses . If you search at the Monday Morning painters site you might see some paintings by others. I'll try to post a few other paintings of mine here but if that isn't successful there is always my avatar which is part of a painting.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Studio painting sold at the Harvest Fair here:
for_web.jpg

My favorite subject, title = Bovine Blues:
for_web2.jpg

One of the few plein aire paintings I did that I liked (done at a local winery with the Monday Morning Painters):
for_web3.jpg
Old 06-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

very nice. love the lighting in the cloudy sky.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:51 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Gorgeous! I too love the colors and forms of the sky.

But hmmm---blue rabbits and blue cows? Do I detect a pattern here?
Old 06-19-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Glad you liked them. And yes, I'm partial to blue. Probably because it seems like a soothing, calming color to me.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #11
Administrator

Beautiful! You are very talented and your paintings are intriguing.

I broke these posts off from the "Reinventing Retirement" thread in the FIRE and Money forum, since there was some topic drift. Hope nobody minds!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Want2retire, so it was not Nords who did this. I just apologized via PM to him for getting so off topic, figuring he must have really got pissed with me. Thanks for doing this, I'll try to stay on topic in the future .
Old 06-19-2008, 06:43 PM   #13
Administrator

NO - - no, no, no!!! I'm so sorry to have caused that misunderstanding. I just thought it would be a good chance to practice my new "skills"...

No problem... it was an easy fix. I really enjoyed seeing your art.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-19-2008, 07:08 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Want2retire, thanks.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #15

to clarify since this was broken out of context, i wasn't concerned with challenging myself, rather with adding to my life diversity & experience that i do not find here.

sarah, i answered your post on the original thread.

this gets so confusing when people try to organize this stuff. i can follow conversations way better when threads stay hijacked. adult add perhaps?

mostly i'm just a bullsh*t artist though i dabbled a bit in the arts during architecture school. i was ok after a lot of work at it but found it frustrating. i prefer creative writing and i used to enjoy photography. here's a shot i caught a few weeks ago in my garden.

mom was the artist in the family. she sold sweater designs earlier in her life. here's a water color of her's i keep over the mantel.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:56 PM   #16

The butterfly is awesome, Lazy--I see you have your mother's eye. You must treasure her watercolors.
I see you as doing some creative writing projects that combine both photography and journal entries, like the photographic journeys we so enjoy here on the board.

Oh, and to contribute to your Adult ADD, I responded to your post on the other thread, too!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Lazy, I like the butterfly too. I found a way to transfer digital shots to my big screen TV. That picture has some wonderful color in it and good depth of field. It'd look great on a big screen.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #18

Isbcal, I love your work! How long have you been painting? I have ambitions to become a painter. Am starting to draw again, after more than thirty years! I want to be good enough to show my work by the time I'm decrepit so I'll have an artistic outlet while I'm wheeling myself around the nursing home.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Oldbabe, thanks. I really didn't do a lot of drawing/painting until maybe 5 years ago. It helped a lot to go to a JC class as that provided more inspiration. But most of this is an exercise in teaching yourself. There is a good book out that has been very popular called Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. It's worth checking out of the library and browsing a little or you can buy it used for something like $5. It shows Van Gough's work and how he struggled with figure drawing before getting better. Helps to see how even a well known painter developed -- he didn't just hatch out of an egg as an artist. The book also has some very interesting exercises. One thing drawing and painting take is a lot of patience. It can be slow and you have to train the analytical part of your brain to not be too judgemental. The book goes into this more.

Also figure drawing classes were very helpful. Figure drawing tends to free one up and teaches you to use your arm (large movements) as well as your wrist.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:39 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
There are simple activities if you want to challenge youself and don't want to get to physically challenged. For instance, there is art. There is a whole world out there to sketch and paint. People are constantly finding new ways to express themselves in art. I started out doing some drawing on my own, took several JC classes in drawing, figure drawing, painting, color theory, even art history. If you really try in 6 months it's possible to be a pretty good drawer but you need to really do it and not get discouraged. Here are some photos of a painting group I occasionally go out with in our local area -- the Monday Morning Painters (I'm in a green sweatshirt): Monday Morning Plein Air Painters
That really looks like fun. What you said about it being possible to learn to draw in 6 months- what is the talent factor? Are most people who show up at a drawing class people who have been drawing since first grade?

Ha