Join Early Retirement Today

Article on Educational System in the US...........
Old 12-17-2006, 06:36 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Article on Educational System in the US...........

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20061215/ts_csm/askills

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Article on Educational System in the US...........
Old 12-17-2006, 08:12 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I look at all of these reports and wonder what in the world are these guys talking about.

If you go to ANY well run school district that is in a financially well off area of the country the schools produce excellent graduates that get great SAT scores and do well in college.

American schools are a mirror image of the communites that they serve. Poor towns that have crime and single parent households sorry to say have problems.

Until there is a way to improve the inner cities and bring back jobs there will be no improvement in education because the parent involvement is not there.

The fact that we have spent a bazillion dollars on computer hardware in our public schools and closed down metal, electrical, woodshops and auto mechanics in our high schools shows that the leaders of our country are blind. Not every american student wants to go to college right after high school. When I hear we need the Mexicans to build our homes it burns me up!

Every high school should have a vocational track! We NEED good contractors, electricians, sheet metal workers, plumbers, and auto mechanics!!!!!

Great paying jobs that would raise the living standards for so many. BUT BUT big business would rather have the illegals here working for 10 bucks an hour , and having the american kid who does not go to college stuck in walmart jobs!

Old 12-17-2006, 08:17 AM   #3

One thing in the article I found interesting was the idea of letting kids out early to pursue college if they pass a test. I had a boss recently who was into the college without classrooms idea. He would go to several websites daily. He quoted several articles where high school students would essentially attend college through various methods and would graduate high school and receive a two year degree in the same week. They weren't eligible for the degree before they finished high school and from what he was saying many times the students would complete their college work before completing their high school work.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
If you go to ANY well run school district that is in a financially well off area of the country the schools produce excellent graduates that get great SAT scores and do well in college.
pretty much....just like in "Lean on me" when morgan freeman pushes the students to do more and the parents and the attitude are the real problems
Old 12-17-2006, 08:32 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I think a much better article (What It Takes To Make a Student) on improving education was written by Paul Tough and appeared in the NYTimes magazine 11/26. One thing confirmed for me by Mr Tough's article is that education begins at home very early.

Quote:
What's more, the kinds of words and statements that children heard varied by class. The most basic difference was in the number of "discouragements" a child heard -- prohibitions and words of disapproval - compared with the number of encouragements, or words of praise and approval. By age 3, the average child of a professional heard about 500,000 encouragements and 80,000 discouragements. For the welfare children, the situation was reversed: they heard, on average, about 75,000 encouragements and 200,000 discouragements.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:41 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

My goodness. Setting the standard for education is a parental responsibility. Imagine that. Golly.

Let's all try to remember this thread when we revert to one of those "$%&^ing teachers" or "why don't the schools teach financial management" rants...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I look at all of these reports and wonder what in the world are these guys talking about.

American schools are a mirror image of the communites that they serve. Poor towns that have crime and single parent households sorry to say have problems.
This is absolutely not true as a blanket statement. Seattle has a very educated population, high family incomes, etc. and anyone who can scrape together the money somehow avoids public schools for their kids. They are almost uniformly bad.

Quote:
But proponents insist that in a world that increasingly rewards only highly skilled, creative workers - in which America spends the second highest amount on education of any industrialized nation but performs in the bottom part of the pack - reforms this drastic are necessary.
If all it takes is better parents, not a better school system, are you saying NewGuy that half the world has better parents then the US? Isn't it more likely that parents are both good and bad around the world, but the US has devised an unusually wasteful and inefficient system of education? We are good at pulling off the trick of spending a lot of money to screw up a task, and at the same time leaving a favored group much better off than they would otherwise be.

Ha
Old 12-17-2006, 01:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
This is absolutely not true as a blanket statement. Seattle has a very educated population, high family incomes, etc. and anyone who can scrape together the money somehow avoids public schools for their kids. They are almost uniformly bad.

Ha
The same thing is true in Phoenix.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:59 PM   #9

Large school systems like seattle and phoenix will have schools that are doing well. However the neighborhoods that are in the poorest shape have the most problem schools.

Let me give you an example of the funding problem. Why do school districts need to pay for security??

Here in Newark NJ the budget for security the robo guards who have no guns and sit at the desk in the lobby of the school or walk the halls making sure the bathrooms are locked and unlocked is over 30 million a year.

If a large % of the population of a community is in school for 7 or 8 hours a day why are the police of that community not providing security for the towns schools??

Taxes are paying the salary for the police. Oh right the police need to be sitting at speed traps on the outskirts of town to catch those speeders!!
Old 12-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Large school systems like seattle and phoenix will have schools that are doing well. However the neighborhoods that are in the poorest shape have the most problem schools.
If you change that to some schools will be better than others, we agree. If you insist (with no local knowledge) that some Seattle school systems are doing well, then you have a very loose standard for applying the word "well".

Give it up big guy- in a few days you will be a retired teacher, and like a retired General you can start telling the truth about what is going down.

Ha
Old 12-17-2006, 04:47 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
My goodness. Setting the standard for education is a parental responsibility. Imagine that. Golly.

Let's all try to remember this thread when we revert to one of those "$%&^ing teachers" or "why don't the schools teach financial management" rants...
Nords, you should be a comedian..............

As the son of two retired teachers, I can assure you that the parents who BLAME the teachers the most, are generally letting their KIDS run the house..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:18 PM   #12

Quote:
If you change that to some schools will be better than others, we agree. If you insist (with no local knowledge) that some Seattle school systems are doing well, then you have a very loose standard for applying the word "well".

Give it up big guy- in a few days you will be a retired teacher, and like a retired General you can start telling the truth about what is going down.

Ha

HAHA you know I have one heck of a book in this head and yeas after friday I can write that tell all book.

Here is a snippet, There are so many incompetent teachers in the High School I have been in the past 6 years no wonder we have problems. Not to say that the parents are helping. When a parent comes to an open house only to close fist and pummel her son in our office after the bad report and call him a mother fu*KER, can you say how can ya make this stuff up.

Park your car in the morning and hope it is there when you get ready to head home. Yes 23 cars have been stolen this year from the school!! One every other week.

It really is bad. 8 students have been shot and stabbed to death in the past two years, 6 walking home or waiting at the bus stops in and around the school.

Yea this is america what a sick place.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:28 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

When a parent comes to an open house only to close fist and pummel her son in our office after the bad report and call him a mother fu*KER...
And we've been led to believe inner city school parents were indifferent to their kids performance... :

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
And we've been led to believe inner city school parents were indifferent to their kids performance... :

The women was a nasty sob. High on something, acting out!!

One of the most ridiculus situations I have ever sat in on!
Old 12-17-2006, 09:39 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's generally recognized that Seattle's public schools are a reflection of the population's lack of support. They're really getting exactly what they want.

Funding private educations isn't a major issue for families with high incomes, common in Seattle as you said. So the children of middle class and up are in private schools, the children of lower class in public schools. Gosh, the private schools are having better results! What a surprise!
Old 12-17-2006, 10:22 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Park your car in the morning and hope it is there when you get ready to head home. Yes 23 cars have been stolen this year from the school!! One every other week.
That's a surprise. In our neighborhood school the student's cars are much better than the teacher's. You'd expect that the student's lot would be emptied by auto thieves and cars in the teacher's lot would have $5 bills tucked under their windshields in charitable sympathy...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote