Join Early Retirement Today

As if we didn't have enough to worry about with meteors!
Old 01-31-2017, 06:16 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Saw this article and thought 'this is right up there with worrying about market swings, what's for dinner when I'm 80, and meteors we can't see coming.' Hope you find it interesting or at least get a chuckle.

What happens if Earth's magnetic poles flip? - Business Insider
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2017, 06:21 PM   #2

Huge economic opportunity for makers of compasses. Every single one will have to be replaced. Think of the job creation possibilities!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:06 PM   #3

A very real somewhat-common occurrence is a Coronal Mass Ejection from the sun. Were such an event to occur, and hit Earth during magnetic pole reversal, the result would indeed be catastrophic. That's why I aways walk outside with an umbrella.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Invest in zinc oxide.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:38 PM   #5

This has happened several times in the Earth's history, do not fret. Also, as a matter of interest, magnetic North has been on the prowl for years, and does actually have an influence on the weather.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:14 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
This has happened several times in the Earth's history, do not fret. Also, as a matter of interest, magnetic North has been on the prowl for years, and does actually have an influence on the weather.
Right, but it hasn't happened in modern times of technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
A very real somewhat-common occurrence is a Coronal Mass Ejection from the sun. Were such an event to occur, and hit Earth during magnetic pole reversal, the result would indeed be catastrophic. That's why I aways walk outside with an umbrella.
It could be catastrophic regardless of any magnetic pole shift.

There was one in the late 1800's, not long after the telegraph was becoming common. It induced extreme voltages in those long telegraph lines, and did a lot of damage. With so much sensitive electronics today, and power lines, and satellites, it could really mess things up here on earth.

We'd have some warning (days I think), and I'm told they would shut down power lines as a precaution, but I would still think it would wipe out a lot of stuff, and I would think satellites would still be vulnerable. I don't know.

OK, here's more...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronal_mass_ejection

Quote:
Coronal mass ejections, along with solar flares of other origin, can disrupt radio transmissions and cause damage to satellites and electrical transmission line facilities, resulting in potentially massive and long-lasting power outages. ....

The largest recorded geomagnetic perturbation, resulting presumably from a CME, coincided with the first-observed solar flare on 1 September 1859, and is now referred to as the Carrington Event, or the solar storm of 1859. .... The storm took down parts of the recently created US telegraph network, starting fires and shocking some telegraph operators.[11]

---- On 23 July 2012, a massive, and potentially damaging, solar superstorm (solar flare, CME, solar EMP) barely missed Earth, according to NASA.[24][25] There is an estimated 12% chance of a similar event hitting Earth between 2012 and 2022.[24]
So we are half way through that period, does that mean we have a 24% chance between now and 2022?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:17 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Worse things could happen I suppose.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:41 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Guess we better start to worry....
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:11 PM   #9

With all the danger and teeth gnashing ahead, sometimes I'm glad I'm as old as I am, but not often.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:50 PM   #10

I'm sure we'll manage to create a perfectly fine apocalypse all on our own without celestial help.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:57 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I'm gonna order more lobster before the poles shift and I die.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:31 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I dunno. In our trip to Nova Scotia more than 2 years ago, we each had a 2lb+ lobster. Twice. Have not had a craving for lobster since. Dungeness crab. Now, that's something I can eat more of.

Oh, wait a minute. What's this thread about, again?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:43 AM   #13

First the zombie apocalypse, now this...........scheeze!
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Oh, wait a minute. What's this thread about, again?

Threads have to have a point?

I've always loved the line, '1/2 an inch of water and thinks he's going to drown'.

Maybe that's the point, Or maybe it's just a good tune to enjoy for a few minutes.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:42 AM   #15

Hey, is this a pole?
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
So we are half way through that period, does that mean we have a 24% chance between now and 2022?

-ERD50
And then there is Harry Dent - worst market crash in modern history. Sun spot cycle covered at about 12:55 in. Enjoy

bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #17

Was reading about the Fermi Paradox on WaitButWhy the other day. Very interesting and talks about the many mass extinction events that have occurred on Earth as well as our place in the universe. Great site. The author, Tim Urban, did a great TED talk on procrastinating. Ok, back to it!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
And then there is Harry Dent - worst market crash in modern history. Sun spot cycle covered at about 12:55 in. Enjoy
Sun spots cause market crashes? Wow, who'da thunk it?
Old 02-01-2017, 04:20 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post

He's so full of it!

Going on about how most big sell offs, crashes, recessions/depressions occur in the first 2 to 3 years of every decade, and how that "worked like a charm" in 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s, but didn't work in 2010 to 2012 like it should have.

Totally ignoring how the bear market in 2007-2009 was even worse than 2000-2002!!! Not to mention being the worst since 1929.

Oh, right, it's all about sunspots cycles. Did we have sunspots 2007-2009? Did we skip something? Oh wait - the last sun spot cycle was very stretched and incorporated both of those, but here we are back to a new one already. 2017-19 greatest danger period due to sun spots. Oh boy!!!!

It's amazing how these guys can spew all this garbage.

FWIW this video was published Sept 24, 2016.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Huge economic opportunity for makers of compasses. Every single one will have to be replaced. Think of the job creation possibilities!

I sense another Y2K...

Haven't had a coronal mass ejection since I stopped eating at Pancho's Buffet...

And speaking of sunspots...

https://youtu.be/ujTTjt5VkZM

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote