Join Early Retirement Today

As the big day approaches apprehension? Irrational exuberance of awesomeness? Indiff
Old 04-15-2018, 06:16 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As the big day approaches apprehension? Irrational exuberance of awesomeness? Indiff

I’ll give my 3 weeks notice on or about July 19. -July 21st is my 64th birthday; Ill work from home those last 3 weeks. If I work Until August 2nd Ill get an extra months healthcare on the company around saving me roughly $2K.

The Stealth Exit
I quietly clean out my desk over the next few weeks. My personal stuff pictures and awards can fit into a single duffel. That Thursday (I work Monday to Thursday) I’ll work a little late and Duffel everything.

Ive been pondering just how unpredictable the world out there is and exactly how my retirement will be. Not going to work sounds pretty awesome. I can’t help but think when I press that send button on the email I’ll feel a sense of relief. If you can believe it there is literally a book on the steps the company says you should take when retiring. I’ll follow them with the exception of informing the boss months in advance. I’m sure they’ll get over it.

I hope I can last till then..
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2018, 06:44 AM   #2

Did same.

A couple trips to the dumpster. A couple of small loads to the house. A handful of mega-c*rp certificates and plaques left in place.. My cube was very spartan before I cleared it out - a "vast wasteland" leading up up to my exit.

Hang in there. It'll be over soon. The "Free Territory" is very welcoming.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:50 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Best birthday present you will ever have.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I will say the wait till July will be the hard thing. I hope you keep us informed on your experiences from now till July and also how you adjust after retiring. I wish you well.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 07:41 AM   #5

Exciting times and I wish you the best. It will all be worth the wait.

VW
Old 04-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Did same.

A couple trips to the dumpster. A couple of small loads to the house. A handful of mega-c*rp certificates and plaques left in place.. My cube was very spartan before I cleared it out - a "vast wasteland" leading up up to my exit.

Hang in there. It'll be over soon. The "Free Territory" is very welcoming.

+1
I cleaned out my files a month or two before giving notice. Also took most of my personal belongings that were inside cabinets and drawers in my office home before notice. After notice, I just had to pack a box or two to get the rest. I left it super clean for the next person, along with an annual calendar with important activities/deadlines each month and some other documentation to help him or her out.

Time between now and July will likely go by agonizingly slowly, but the pace will pick up dramatically once you have ER’d. I can’t believe I’m coming up on 18 months!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:38 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

congratulations, ray. Its getting closer!
I, too, started cleaning out my desk about a month before and ended up with only a small box of personal things to take home the last day. Although, my exit wasn't quiet--they all knew more than a year before!!
Old 04-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

At MegaMotors, they were walking people out with no notice, so I took home everything I thought I'd definitely want on the QT, but once I got a package, I coasted and kept a minimum of stuff. Incidentally, I recently tossed all those things I thought I'd definitely want.

Congratulations.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:06 AM   #9

Congratulations on your decision Ray! I haven't retired yet, but I am a proponent of cleaning out the office prior to giving notice. Less drama.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

How exciting! You’re heart must pound at times with the anticipation.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

The hardest part for me was just "giving my notice". I struggled with that for a good while. The OMY syndrome. I had written "the letter" and stuck it in my "drafts" folder for months (or maybe a year). Finally one morning, I updated the draft with the appropriate dates and hit the send button. What a relief that was. I had given 3 months notice and it was the best (most enjoyable) 3 months of my career.

Now, 6+ years later and I have had absolutely no regrets, except that maybe that I should have sent the letter in sooner.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:43 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

The hardest parts were giving notice and the last lunch.

The anxiety was better after giving notice. I had lunch with a few true buddies after my exit interview. As I walked past the building on my way to my truck I realized I couldn't go back into that building. That was odd.

Good luck Ray.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Well done RP - got to be a great feeling.

God willing I'll retire 31-Dec-19. With vacations..... about 14 months left of 7 days per week in Africa.

We plan to do similar to you - quiet departure, no fanfare and awkward empty words from folks I don't like anyway. The ones that matter - I will have visited with them privately over a dirty bird and beers before hand.

gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I’ll give my 3 weeks notice on or about July 19. -July 21st is my 64th birthday; Ill work from home those last 3 weeks. If I work Until August 2nd Ill get an extra months healthcare on the company around saving me roughly $2K.
Huh. Based on the thread title I was expecting a anxious groom.
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
Huh. Based on the thread title I was expecting a anxious groom.

Really? No more a divorce eh?
Old 04-16-2018, 04:29 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Ray: I feel your apprehension, brother!

My megacorp solved the move-out issue for me! A few months ago we all moved to "open space." All I have is a few little personal items (toothbrush, snacks). No need to stealth move out.

My announce day is coming fast. I leave June 1. Thinking of telling the boss about May 2. Or maybe the next week since I plan to take some time off that Friday. I think I need to take that time first since it is an off-the-books agreement with me and him for some ridiculous work done off the clock that megacorp apparently can't afford to pay me for. (Ha ha!)
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Ray: I feel your apprehension, brother!
My announce day is coming fast. I leave June 1. Thinking of telling the boss about May 2. (Ha ha!)

Joe
I can’t imagine how you feel being only a month out from sending that liberating email.

Funny today we are having tropical rainstorm (it is a deluge -even the pooch rushed back in). In a few weeks you cant just go back to bed, enjoy a nice book or leisurely sip a cup of coffee and look out the window.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:34 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I woke up to the same rainstorm. I am seriously dragging out the departure to work, so that I can avoid some of the traffic mess.

Officially, not sure how much notice to give. I'd like to stay in good graces, and hopefully nail down a couple telecommuting days. So, two weeks too short, six months too long.

I have been continuously going through the workspace, and culling out what is not required. Pretty sure everything will fit in a discarded copy paper box.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:04 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

My last day is June 30th - I had given notice a year ago via mega-corp transition to retirement. It is actually quite nice, I transferred most of my tasks to colleague, and only work 2 days a week in June.
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:27 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Interesting... now that I think back on it I never gave my former employer a resignation letter or email... I talked with my boss and said I would be leaving in a few months and was flexible on the end date and he responded that he was sorry to see me leave and to work out an end date with HR and the folks leading various projects that I was involved in and keep him informed.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote