Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 10:25 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Where are from? Talk to a citizen of New Mexico and you will get some interesting stories.

Quote:
TOUGH PILL TO SWALLOW
While staying in upstate New York, Rio Rancho resident Dick Blinzler tried to get a prescription refilled at Walmart but was surprised when the pharmacist told him she couldn’t refill orders from out of the country. A gentle correction that both he and the prescription were from the United States wasn’t enough, Blinzler says. “She had to call a co-worker over to verify New Mexico was really a state.”

https://www.newmexico.org/nmmagazine...50-is-missing/

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
"I can't help but notice your gorgeous skin. [It's such an amazing color/so even-toned, etc.] I'm curious, what's your background... ethnicity? and/or Where are you from?" has worked for me.

omni

No!!!!
Old 10-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #123
Full time employment: Posting here.

I often comment on someone's name. I say, I am a family historian and haven't seen that name before. I often get interesting answers, but never a negative response.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:28 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Many of the thoughts in the thread, if spoken to a stranger...well I can't say for sure.

If a friend says, "Yeah, I don't mind," that may or may not be true. In any event, I would not use friend's "Ok" as a ticket into anothers private life.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

One's name is a bit different from one's other personal attributes. Most people love to discuss their family name, tell you the derivation, correct pronunciation etc. I could give quite a dissertation on my maiden name, which, although it is short, nobody could pronounce or spell correctly.

I have heard of people being subjected to open disdain because their name reminded people of some unpopular famous person. If I met a person with such a name, I would assume their nerves are already raw on the topic, and would talk about pretty much anything except their name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
I often comment on someone's name. I say, I am a family historian and haven't seen that name before. I often get interesting answers, but never a negative response.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

I actually did this once. I hadn't seen the woman in a while; the last time I saw her, she was slender; the only part sticking out was her stomach, so....Nope, she had gained weight and was unhappy about it. So I keep my pregnancy assumptions to myself!

Another time, I complimented a formerly very heavy woman on her weight loss, only to have her inform me she had terminal cancer. In my defense, she was wearing pretty new clothes, and a tight belt that emphasized her newly-slim waist. Anybody would have assumed she was proud of her new figure. That's why that word is spelled "ASS U ME...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.mask View Post

As for “pregnant” women who could be fat, the best advice I got is to never ask a woman if they are pregnant and act surprised when they are holding a baby saying “I never knew”. I’m not sure what being pregnant has to do with asking where someone is from but the reason you don’t ask people if they are pregnant is because if they are not - they are so fat you thought they were.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Where are from? Talk to a citizen of New Mexico and you will get some interesting stories.

https://www.newmexico.org/nmmagazine...50-is-missing/
We were surprised to see that the license plates say "New Mexico USA" so it must be a common problem.

I remember when Japanese goods were derided and they had a small town called USA and they would label goods as "Made in USA"!
Old 10-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I remember when Japanese goods were derided and they had a small town called USA and they would label goods as "Made in USA"!
I remember that too.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 10-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #129

I wonder if the people who think New Mexico is not in the USA also think Baja California is?
Old 10-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #130
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I wonder if the people who think New Mexico is not in the USA also think Baja California is?
They're the same ones who think Tbilisi is a suburb of Atlanta.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Though that was an investment.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:50 PM   #132
gone traveling

Quote:
We were surprised to see that the license plates say "New Mexico USA" so it must be a common problem.
They're just ahead of the curve on the new USMCA agreement.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:27 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Based on the prices for real estate in BC, they seem to consider it different than the rest!
Old 10-12-2019, 11:49 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
When we're traveling, even locally, we often encounter other travelers, or just people working in the local area. Sometimes they'll have a unique accent and I'll say "I love your accent, where are you from?". I just did this last weekend when a guy from Sweden was visiting a local winery. He was happy to tell me where he was from and we briefly discussed his travels.

We also had a waitress at one of the restaurants we visited, beautiful lady with dark skin. I couldn't tell if she was from India, Latino, Black, Native American, or maybe somewhere else. I was fascinated and curious how she ended up in that little town, but couldn't think of a tactful way to ask her. I couldn't really say "where are you from" as she probably spent her whole life in the little town we were visiting, just based on her perfect English with no accent.

I'm not a very social person by nature, and am like a fish out of water in these situations. I don't know what is appropriate and what should be left unsaid. Asking "are you black" or "are you Mexican" seems wrong, especially if I guess wrong. I've asked people what their heritage was in the past, but that felt stupid and was people I had already met before. I'm curious by nature, but maybe it's none of my business.

Is there a good way to ask these things, or is it wrong to ask at all?
I didn't read all of the replies, but I'm surprised how many here consider asking about one's background (ancestry, ethnicity, accent, etc.) to be rude or inconsiderate. Personally, I think if we make asking about someone's ethnicity, accent, etc. a bad thing, it promotes shame about one's ancestry. Why would we want to do that? Even if there have been atrocious acts against a particular group, why should a person carry that forward in shame? They should be proud of who they are and where they came from. Being overly sensitive in this case sends the wrong message in my opinion.

I've asked many times and will continue in the future. I've also been asked, and never took any offense to it (usually when traveling to other countries, but not always). Why would I? If they have an accent, it's easy. Oh, that's a lovely accent, where is it from? Just make sure not to do a creepy compliment. lol. As far as asking about ancestry, I will volunteer mine first and then ask if it's okay to ask. I'll say something like, I'm a mutt. My ancestry is Irish, German, and Native American as far as I know. Do you mind if I ask about yours? I've never had any negative interactions this way, and nobody who refused to tell me. And if they did, that's 100% their right, and I wouldn't push any further.

Rather than making skin color, facial features, accents, etc. a barrier to communication, why not be open about it and discuss it? If someone doesn't want to talk about it, they'll let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Funny you mention this, my wife and I have recently been thinking of traveling here. Should be a short flight from JFK to ATL. But seriously, have you been to Tbilisi?
Old 10-12-2019, 07:48 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

I think asking about ethnicity is ok but very very risky. Some folks can pull it off and others cannot. The phrasing used in the OP was very awkward IMO.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:02 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I actually did this once. I hadn't seen the woman in a while; the last time I saw her, she was slender; the only part sticking out was her stomach, so....Nope, she had gained weight and was unhappy about it. So I keep my pregnancy assumptions to myself!

Another time, I complimented a formerly very heavy woman on her weight loss, only to have her inform me she had terminal cancer. In my defense, she was wearing pretty new clothes, and a tight belt that emphasized her newly-slim waist. Anybody would have assumed she was proud of her new figure. That's why that word is spelled "ASS U ME...."
nice to see someone else can put both feet in their mouth as well

just when i wondering if i was unique

but i am learning , better to be seen as a grumpy non-communicative old codger than the other 3000 nasty labels you can be tagged with now

( and goodness help you if you give a precise opinion on something )

the truth is acid in a sugar-coated world

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Asking about ethnicity?
Old 10-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #137
gone traveling

Asking about ethnicity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
We also had a waitress at one of the restaurants we visited, beautiful lady with dark skin. I couldn't tell if she was from India, Latino, Black, Native American, or maybe somewhere else. I was fascinated and curious how she ended up in that little town, but couldn't think of a tactful way to ask her.

Is there a good way to ask these things, or is it wrong to ask at all?

Were you born and raised here?

How did you decide to come here?

How would their ethnicity be important here?
Old 10-13-2019, 05:01 AM   #138
gone traveling

Quote:
You remember that?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/made-in-usa/

It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:07 AM   #139
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I remember that too.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:48 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Well...I was three years old at the end of WWII, so I may have misinterpreted what I overheard.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Closed Thread