Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How often do you take an aspirin?
Dailey 15 26.32%
1-3 times a week 6 10.53%
4-6 times a week 1 1.75%
only when necessary 18 31.58%
never 17 29.82%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Aspirin
Old 11-09-2005, 03:55 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

The fact that aspirin is a natural substance doesn't negate the fact that it comes with a long list of potential side effects.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=15215806

Some other natural blood thinners that don't carry the risk of gastric bleeding inlcude fish oil, vit e, garlic, ginko biloba and many chinese herbs.

I am aware that cox-2 inhibiitors have no effect on platlet aggregation, however many people take aspirin for inflamation.

Re the benefits of supplementation - anyone even slightly interested in the subject might want to consider picking up a copy of "The Antioxidant Miracle" by Lester Packer, Phd

http://www.thaiwave.com/networkantioxidants/about.htm

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2005, 04:20 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunk
"Other than the obvious (constipation), what do your "60-A-Day" supplements prevent?"

They prevent me from dying of too much accumulated wealth.
Excellent comeback, trunk. You might fit in around here...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:29 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks, REWahoo
Old 11-09-2005, 06:53 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Re the benefits of supplementation -* anyone even slightly interested in the subject might want to consider picking up a copy of "The Antioxidant Miracle" by Lester Packer, Phd
Looks interesting, but the book is 6 years old, and the thinking about supplements has changed in just the last couple years.

Are you taking 60 pills/day for life extension?* *Check out Ray Kurzweil's latest book.* *I think he's popping 250 pills/day.* And*I think I prefer a glass of wine and some lean beef.*
Old 11-10-2005, 05:33 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

"Are you taking 60 pills/day for life extension?"

No, I just really don't like going to doctor's offices and I try to do everything I can to avoid that visit

"Check out Ray Kurzweil's latest book. I think he's popping 250 pills/day. And I think I prefer a glass of wine and some lean beef. "

Kurzwiell may be a brilliant inventor but I think he barking up the wrong
tree - especially with his diet recommendations.

Wab, since you mention lean beef, do yourself a very big favor and check out T Colin Campbell's "The China Study"

Old 11-10-2005, 05:37 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

one more thing,

http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA359908/
Old 11-10-2005, 05:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Wab, since you mention lean beef, do yourself a very big favor and check out T Colin Campbell's "The China Study"
Heh. Fat is bad for you. Carbohydrates are bad for you. And now protein is bad for you, too. I think that covers all of the macronutrients, so the only logical conclusion is that eating is bad for you.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:25 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Heh. Fat is bad for you. Carbohydrates are bad for you. And now protein is bad for you, too. I think that covers all of the macronutrients, so the only logical conclusion is that eating is bad for you.
Wab, I think you may be on to something

http://calorierestriction.org//howto
Old 11-10-2005, 11:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Heh.* *Fat is bad for you.* *Carbohydrates are bad for you.* *And now protein is bad for you, too.* *I think that covers all of the macronutrients, so the only logical conclusion is that eating is bad for you.*
I guess that only leaves Solient Green......and we know what that is made of.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:00 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I heard an argument for cannabalism. The theory goes that the closer the composition of what you eat is to yourself, the more complete is the digestion.

The preferred cut of human is said to be the web of the hand between the thumb and first finger. This was given to the Polynesian cheifs who ranked enough to be served first.
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:05 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol_Rancher
The preferred cut of human is said to be the web of the hand between the thumb and first finger.
Huh.* I would have thought that area would be tough and stringy with overused muscle.* Woudn't there be some less excercised parts of the physiognomy that are more tasty morsels

Old 11-11-2005, 09:43 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Geez, that's a lot of supplements. I hope they are all water soluble, because you can get to toxic levels with those that are fat soluble.

Is it just because you guys are ER'd that you can have such fine tuned routines? Some of you excercise 6 times a week, take supplements regularly, have carefully balanced, macrobiotic, organic diets....I'm lucky if I get a danish down with my morning coffee. I'm just happy I'm keeping my weight within the normal range and not blowing up like the engineers around me. Forget trying to stick to a daily asprin/supplement routine!
Old 11-11-2005, 11:57 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Check out Univ of Michigan's follow-up on aspirin http://www.accumetrics.com/news/details.asp?ID=15 .* I occasionally take aspirin.* I've gone up and down on aspirin* - as a 60ish, slender, never had a heart attack, no family history of heart attack, total cholesterol of 200, male... I don't consider myself a good candidate until reading the above article.*

Quote:
...DOES ASPIRIN PREVENT HEART ATTACKS? The case is pretty much closed that regular aspirin use makes sense for trying to prevent a second heart attack. The question is whether someone who has never had a heart attack should take aspirin.

Last year, researchers published an analysis of five major studies of aspirin use to prevent a first heart attack. The studies included more than 50,000 patients, mostly middle-aged men, over three to seven years. The conclusion: Among the patients studied, daily aspirin use cut the risk of a heart attack by an average of 28%...
and
Quote:
"...Someone who is relatively young ... and does not have any other risk factors for heart disease may in fact be more likely to be harmed than helped by taking aspirin,'' says Michael Pignone, assistant professor of medicine at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill and co-author of the five-study analysis. "On the other hand, there are millions of Americans who could benefit from regular aspirin who are not taking it."

The key to figuring out whether you should take aspirin is determining your risk for heart problems. The Internet has several sites that help you calculate your 10-year risk for heart attack, including http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/...rol/index.htm1 and www.med-decisions.com2. The calculators will ask your age, blood pressure and cholesterol levels, among other things.

The numbers are important. A 50-year-old man with good cholesterol numbers and low blood pressure has just a 2% chance of a heart attack over 10 years. But the same man with average readings sees his 10-year risk jump to 7%...
Assuming most of us are over 50, I'd recommend looking seriously at daily 81mg aspirin.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:27 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP
Assuming most of us are over 50, I'd recommend looking seriously at daily 81mg aspirin.
My concern with a daily aspirin is:
- with the vitamin C & E already in my body, when I get cut it's hard to stop the bleeding, and
- are there interactions with my most favorite vitamin, ibuprofen?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 05:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP

JohnP
John,
It work better if you actually ingested it rather than just look at it.

OK, sorry...just could not resist today.