Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How often do you take an aspirin?
Dailey 15 26.32%
1-3 times a week 6 10.53%
4-6 times a week 1 1.75%
only when necessary 18 31.58%
never 17 29.82%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Aspirin
Old 11-08-2005, 06:31 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Aspirin

Here is another article on the benefits of the good old aspirin. My doctor recommended taking one every other day. Just wondered what your thoughts are on the subject.*

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051107...aliacancerskin
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Aspirin
Old 11-08-2005, 06:58 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm allergic to aspirin, can't take it at all.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I take one" baby" aspirin (81mg), bought in bulk, daily. Given my family history of heart disease I thought the possible benefits outweighed the risks. Recently I read that once you have been on aspirin therapy for a long period of time, there is a risk of stroke if you stop. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/510469

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:57 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've taken a standard 325mg aspirin every day for about 20 years.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Heart disease is the bigger killer in my family so I have taken one regular Aspirin a day for more than 30 years. I guess it must be working since I have not had a heart attack yet. I do believe that the Aspirin and the cholesterol lowering drugs over the last 20 years have both helped. Lifestyle, eating habits, and medication can all help to lower your risk despite being cursed with crappy genes.

So far so good. 8)
Old 11-08-2005, 10:05 AM   #6

I tend to be a bleeder, and asprin aggrivates bleeding. I haven't taken one in years.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:25 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

My thoughts on the subject are to ask you doctor, and do what he says. Some people benefit from aspirin, and others are harmed by it. While decreasing the risk of arteriosclerotic events, it simultaneously increases the risk of problems such as hemorrhagic stroke. Your doctor will be better able to tell you which is the greater risk for you.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:39 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

You might want to try this instead:

Zyflamend, New Chapter, 120 Softgels

Label Information:

(T) Zyflamend, New Chapter, 120 Softgels
• Supercritical Extracts of Rosemary, Ginger and Oregano
• With Potency Assured Extracts
• Green Tea, Holy Basil, Turmeric, barberry, Chinese goldthread and Hu Zhang
• Inhibits the COX-2enzyme and reduces inflammation*
• Promotes healthy joint function*
• Promotes normal cell growth*
• Contains organic herbal anti-aging constituents that inactivate free-radicals*
New Chapter's Supercritical Herbal Extracts "Supercritical" means Super Purity, Super Potency, Broad Spectrum, and No Chemical Solvents. We take nature's finest herbs and then extract and highly concentrate (as high as 250 to 1) their precious, full spectrum ingredients. We do not isolate single ingredients or spike our extracts with synthesized additives. We deliver the wisdom of nature, with the complexity and organic nuances of the natural herb preserved for you In fact, the supercritical process extracts more beneficial organic antioxidants and other compounds than any other extraction processes. And when you take New Chapter's supercritical extracts, neither you nor the environment, have to contend with chemical solvents.

A Supercritical New Chapter In Inflammation Reduction New Chapter's patent-pending Zyflamend formulation represents a scientific breakthrough in herbal COX-2 inhibition and inflammation reduction.* Recent scientific studies suggest that inhibiting an enzyme known as cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) may be an effective way to reduce inflammation without the side effects associated with irreversible COX-1 inhibition. In addition, recent scientific studies also suggest that COX-2 inhibition may serve an important function in promoting normal cell growth in the colon, pancreas, breast tissue, and other organ systems.*

For optimal multi-vitamin and mineral support, we recommend New Chapter's Every Man & Every Woman Bio-Grown Food -Cultured Nutrients. For topical inflammation pain relief, we recommend Zyflamend Creme.

New Chapter has extensively researched the herbal pharmacopoeia and international medical databases and discovered that the following time-tested herbs, properly extracted and blended in the correct proportions, contain at least 8 phytonutrients that may safely and significantly inhibit COX-2.*

Holy Basil (Ocimum sanctum) Contains the powerful COX-2 inhibitor ursolic acid, which significantly enhances detoxification and reduces inflammation.*
Turmeric Unique curcumin phytonutrient complex, naturally inhibits inflammatory COX-2; synergistic with green tea, significantly multiplying anti-inflammatory effect of green tea polyphenols.*

Ginger Supercritical extract inhibits both inflammatory COX and 5-LOX and offers numerous anti-aging constituents.*
Green Tea Proceedings of of the National Academy of Sciences report green tea polyphenols markedly reduce COX-2.* Major university database notes green tea contains 51 anti-inflammatory phytonutrients.*
Rosemary Dual extracts offer highly concentrated, full spectrum, COX-2 inhibition and support detoxification.*
Hu Zhang (Polygonum cuspidatum) Richest known reveratrol source, shown scientifically to inhibit inflammatory COX-2.*
Chinese Goldthread and Barberry Unique berberine phytonutrient complex, naturally inhibits inflammatory COX-2.*
Oregano Source of large number of anti-inflammatory compounds (31) according to USDA database.*
Scutellaria Unique baicalin phytonutrient complex, naturally inhibits inflammatory COX-2.*

Suggested Use: One softgel two times daily. Take in the middle of a larger meal with an 8 oz glas of water.
Supplement Facts
Serving size: 2 Softgels
Servings Per Container: 60

Amount Per Serving

% Daily Value
Rosemary (leaf), 100 mg supercritical extract and 50 mg extract (23% total phenolic antioxidants[TPA]-34.5mg
150 mg

Turmeric, (rhizome), 10 mg supercritical extract (45% turmerones-4.5 mg) and 100 mg ethanolic eztract (7% curcuminoids-7 mg)
110 mg

Ginger, (rhizome), 54 mg supercritical extract,(30% pungent compounds-16.2 mg, 8% zingiberene -4.3 mg) and 46 mg PSE** extract, (3% pungent compounds-1.4 mg)
100 mg

Holy Basil, (leaf), extract (2% ursolic acid-2 mg)
100 mg

Green Tea, (leaf), extract (45% polyphenols-45 mg)
100 mg

Hu Zhang, (Polyganum cuspidatum)(root & rhizome), extract (8% resveratol-6.4 mg)
80 mg

Chinese Goldthread, (root), extract (6% berberine-2.4 mg)
40 mg

Barberry, (root), extract (6% berberine-2.4 mg)
40 mg

Oregano, (leaf), supercritical extract (0.8% TPA-0.32 mg)
40 mg

Scutellaria baicalensis, (root), hydroethanolic extract (17-26% baicalein complex including baicalein and baicalin-3.4-5.2 mg, and 0.4-0.9% wogonin-0.08-0.18 mg)
20 mg

* Daily Value not established.
** Post-supercritical ethanolic

Other ingredients: Olive oil-extract virgin, yellow beeswax. Capsule: Gelatin, vegetable glycerine, purified water, carob. Our premium softgel capsules are prepared without any chemical solvents, and are certified Kosher, Halal and prion free.

Warning: Women who are nursing, pregnant or contemplating pregancy should consult with their health care provider or their physician before taking this product.

Expiration Date: Approx. 2 years from the date of purchase.

Brand Name: New Chapter,
120 Hexane-Free Softgel Capsules
marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:02 PM   #9

Looks like a spammer has been scanning forums for the word "aspirin."
Old 11-08-2005, 05:06 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Brown 25 capsules, if you're not already full of ****... 8)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:06 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Looks like a spammer has been scanning forums for the word "aspirin."
Could be. But you've got to give him/her credit for patience since registering on the forum in April...

Old 11-08-2005, 05:49 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

No, I am not a spammer.

I have an interest in nutritional supplements - I take over 60 daily for general prevention. For most of my adult life I have been interested in nutrition and using food and nutrtional supplements as medicine for prevention.

My feeling is that I would rather spend the money on supplements than at the doctor's office or hospital.

Back to the aspirin. Though aspirin does appear to have definite medicinal value, it also carries some rather unpleasant risks

http://www.chiro.cc/health_page.php?...n_alternatives

(My own physician who has also been my best friend since grammer school takes a daily aspirin and no other supplements)

I suggested Zyfamend because it contains natural cox 2 inhibitors, antioxidants, and anti inflamatories with no side effects. My only association with the product is as a consumer
Old 11-08-2005, 06:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunk
No, I am not a spammer.*

I have an interest in nutritional supplements - I take over 60 daily for general prevention.* *
60!!!* Damn, somehow that seems like a lot of prevention.*
Call me paranoid, but if I took 60 whatevers daily for my health, I'm sure I'd get run down in a crosswalk by a Mack truck*
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:03 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have an interest in nutritional supplements - I take over 60 daily for general prevention.
Other than the obvious (constipation), what do your "60-A-Day" supplements prevent?

Old 11-08-2005, 07:57 PM   #15

The answer has got to be everything.

Why else would someone take 60 pills.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:05 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
60!!! Damn, somehow that seems like a lot of prevention.
Call me paranoid, but if I took 60 whatevers daily for my health, I'm sure I'd get run down in a crosswalk by a Mack truck
By the time I got done with 60 supplements, my day would be over.

I love how some will eschew standard medicine in favor of medicines with all those asterisks.
moghopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:06 AM   #17

One baby aspirin daily, and the following: senior multi-vitamin, vitamin E, and vitamin C, one Fish oil tablet.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:09 AM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

I think I could make this a diet, eat 60 pills and unable to eat lunch.

Vitamins can have side effects also. I do take them, but better yet try and eat well. I would like vitamin companies to scientifically prove any health benefit and list side effects. Also have guranteed analysis of the contents of there products.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:16 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

"Other than the obvious (constipation), what do your "60-A-Day" supplements prevent?"

They prevent me from dying of too much accumulated wealth

"Vitamins can have side effects also. I do take them, but better yet try and eat well. I would like vitamin companies to scientifically prove any health benefit and list side effects. Also have guranteed analysis of the contents of there products."

I agree that these are only supplements and not a substitute for a good diet.
I have tried over the years to design the best diet possible.

The benefits of the supplements we take have all been demonstrated and confirmed by clinical study
Old 11-09-2005, 12:40 PM   #20

Quote:
The benefits of the supplements we take have all been demonstrated and confirmed by clinical study
Have you been following the latest meta-analyses on antioxidants, for example?* *Even the Linus Pauling Institute is starting to hem and haw a bit.

And the main benefit of aspirin (a natural substance, BTW) in preventing heart attacks is its blood thinning properties.* *Nothing to do with anti-inflamatory effects.* *In fact, aspirin has been shown to have no effects on CRP, which is considered the best measure of systemic inflamation.

Cox-2 inhibitors have no effect on platelet aggregation.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote