Assault On Reason

Danny

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Been listening to Al Gore's new book Assault On Reason. Does a good job on describing the changes that have occurred to America's public discourse and politics. How the powerful control the means of communication and the politicians and the techniques Bush, et al, use to manipulate us and the political process. The Internet could offer hope for more 2-way participatory politics - like what happened the other night with YouTube and the demo debate.

I wonder if it's possible to bypass the corporate profit driven news gatekeepers, or will new ones just replace them.

.. I hope the former. You can definitely see that the MSM is running scared. They hated the idea of the YouTube debates. The op-ed scribblers don't like the idea of being upstaged by "a guy in his pajamas". [Do we know for a fact they themselves put on a Very Serious tailored suit before casting their pearls before the swine?]

They have become a very elite crowd and it gets ever more depressing to see the Judy Millers partying with the Libbys and the David Gregorys boogying with Karl Rove and the slick transition of Tony Snow from FOX anchor to presidential spokesman (or was it the other way 'round?).

After tonight’s YouTube debate, CNN ran a segment critiquing the candidates on their body language and dress. Wolf Blitzer introduced it, stating, “Candidates also sighed, they rolled their eyes, they looked at their watches during the debate.” CNN’s Carol Costello commented, “Look at how the candidates were dressed. The men wore dark suits, but Hillary Clinton wore a brightly-colored jacket.”
Think Progress » CNN’s post-debate analysis tackles the tough questions.

The standard TV fare seems ever more content-free and the anchors insert themselves WAY too much, like it's all about them.. even to the point of openly sniggering. I really don't get it.

I think the "Crawford Chimp" has been at the front of the buffoonery line for many years.

.. I hope the former. You can definitely see that the MSM is running scared. They hated the idea of the YouTube debates. The op-ed scribblers don't like the idea of being upstaged by "a guy in his pajamas". [Do we know for a fact they themselves put on a Very Serious tailored suit before casting their pearls before the swine?]

They have become a very elite crowd and it gets ever more depressing to see the Judy Millers partying with the Libbys and the David Gregorys boogying with Karl Rove and the slick transition of Tony Snow from FOX anchor to presidential spokesman (or was it the other way 'round?).

Think Progress » CNN’s post-debate analysis tackles the tough questions.

The standard TV fare seems ever more content-free and the anchors insert themselves WAY too much, like it's all about them.. even to the point of openly sniggering. I really don't get it.

Agree! I would love to be getting my information from the internet and not have to be fed stuff about the latest cable/network celebrity/crime obsession, or them spending hours on haircuts and clothing choices, instead of keeping us informed which we can be if the internet remains free open and diverse.

Marty, you're funny! But if by chance, you are serious, you should turn off the right wing propaganda machine, read the book and keep an open mind.
Man I wish Al had been elected in 2000. We would be so much better off.

Marty, you're funny! But if by chance, you are serious, you should turn off the right wing propaganda machine, read the book and keep an open mind.

My sentiments exactly. The right wing has a won the propaganda war a long time ago. As a group of people, we Americans are the most insular, myopic and arrogant people on the face of the earth, shaped in part by the constant propaganda we've been fed about being the best place on earth. Meanwhile, by every social measure, we are ranked among the lowest of any developed country. As for Al Gore not getting elected, that's what happens when the masses no longer have a voice and special interest and those with the means to influence policies win. The propaganda has been so successful that the average American no longer knows how to vote in the best interest.

My sentiments exactly. The right wing has a won the propaganda war a long time ago. ....

The propaganda has been so successful that the average American no longer knows how to vote in the best interest.

Hmmm, so we would be better off letting the guy that didn't win the election get into office? I'm sure that system would work well!

How would you respond to someone expressing that sentiment when your guy won?

Well, I guess it all depends if it's your propaganda or not.

Why is that some Democrats are so against... Democracy?

-ERD50

Hmmm, so we would be better off letting the guy that didn't win the election get into office? I'm sure that system would work well!

How would you respond to someone expressing that sentiment when your guy won?

Well, I guess it all depends if it's your propaganda or not.

Why is that some Democrats are so against... Democracy?

-ERD50
Hey ERD, Al was elected, I should have said I wished he was sworn in as President.;)

That is an insult to idiots.

This is an example of what Al talks about - the lowering of the public discourse...:cool:

Last edited:
Hey ERD, Al was elected, I should have said I wished he was sworn in as President.;)

This is an example of what Al talks about - the lowering of the public discourse...:cool:

Now, if you'd like to talk about 'lowering of the public discourse', how about anyone who thinks that we elect our presidents by the popular vote?

I assure you that Gore is/was not idiotic enough to try to win the popular vote over the electoral college vote. He knew what it would take, went after the electoral vote, and...failed. Despite the fact that the Republicans just about offered the election to the Dems on a silver platter.

-ERD50

Now, if you'd like to talk about 'lowering of the public discourse', how about anyone who thinks that we elect our presidents by the popular vote?

I assure you that Gore is/was not idiotic enough to try to win the popular vote over the electoral college vote. He knew what it would take, went after the electoral vote, and...failed. Despite the fact that the Republicans just about offered the election to the Dems on a silver platter.

-ERD50
Oh, ERD that hardly qualifies for lowering the discourse, how about the propagandists' Russ/Sean/Ann/Bill posing as journalists. That's what I mean and the Bush henchmen going around with their talking points demonizing their opponents and repeating the same lies over and over again just like Joe Goebbels who I quote -“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

. I think finally the chickens are coming home to roost.... I know Gore lost based on the electoral vote - Bush won Florida by 537 votes and thus got the electoral votes to push him over - remember the month long controversy...the African-Americans that were prevented from voting, the chads, the screwed-up ballots, the secretary of state Katherine Harris (There were allegations of conflicts of interest and partisan, unethical behavior by Katherine Harris during the 2000 campaign. Harris had been named as Bush's Florida campaign co-chair the year before. In addition, by Harris' decree, ChoicePoint — a private firm — was hired prior to the election to identify and remove thousands of names from the state voters list on the condition that these people were convicted felons. Many of these would-be voters were turned away at the polls or even prior to reaching the polling places. It would later be discovered that approximately 97% of the people removed from the list — and thus denied the right to vote in the election — were not felons at all. The majority of these voters were African-American, and as African-Americans predominantly vote Democratic, the situation suggested foul play... In any case, the thousands of votes affected by Choicepoint's error were far in excess of the number of votes (537) by which George W. Bush won the state....Harris certified that the Republican candidate, then-Texas Governor George W. Bush, had defeated the Democratic candidate, Vice President Al Gore, in the popular vote of Florida and thus certified the Republican slate of electors. Her ruling was challenged and overturned on appeal by Florida's Supreme Court; this decision, however, was itself reversed by the U.S. Supreme Court in Bush v. Gore. That Court ruled (5-4) that Gore's request to extend Florida's statutory deadline for ballot re-counts had no merit, because no Florida law at the time provided for that option. This ruling nullified the state court's decision, upholding Harris' certification. The decision foreclosed any further court challenges by Gore and resulted in Bush's margin of victory in Florida being officially tallied at 537 votes. Therefore, Florida's electoral votes — and the Presidency — went to George W. Bush....the supreme court preventing a recount...I don't know what you mean by silver platter...I voted for Bush in 2000 and I'm sorry I did..I was lulled into thing it would be a competent administration with Colin Powell & Candi Rice involved..... I'm not a Democrat but an Independent...but since this numbskull the only Republican I would vote for now is Chuck Hagel and he ain't running, so It will probably be a Democrat in 2008 for me. In hindsight, I wish Ralph Nader had stayed out of it and that Gore had won. I think we have a dangerous team in Bush & Cheney...dangerous for America...I hope we can carry on a higher discourse together...I'm not so sure marty is capable of it though :D:rolleyes:....how about it marty?

Last edited:
Oh, ERD that hardly qualifies for lowering the discourse, how about the propagandists' Russ/Sean/Ann/Bill posing as journalists. That's what I mean and the Bush henchmen going around with their talking points demonizing their opponents and repeating the same lies over and over again just like Joe Goebbels who I quote -“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

. I think finally the chickens are coming home to roost.... I know Gore lost based on the electoral vote - Bush won Florida by 537 votes and thus got the electoral votes to push him over - remember the month long controversy...the African-Americans that were prevented from voting, the chads, the screwed-up ballots, the secretary of state Katherine Harris (There were allegations of conflicts of interest and partisan, unethical behavior by Katherine Harris during the 2000 campaign. Harris had been named as Bush's Florida campaign co-chair the year before. In addition, by Harris' decree, ChoicePoint — a private firm — was hired prior to the election to identify and remove thousands of names from the state voters list on the condition that these people were convicted felons. Many of these would-be voters were turned away at the polls or even prior to reaching the polling places. It would later be discovered that approximately 97% of the people removed from the list — and thus denied the right to vote in the election — were not felons at all. The majority of these voters were African-American, and as African-Americans predominantly vote Democratic, the situation suggested foul play... In any case, the thousands of votes affected by Choicepoint's error were far in excess of the number of votes (537) by which George W. Bush won the state....Harris certified that the Republican candidate, then-Texas Governor George W. Bush, had defeated the Democratic candidate, Vice President Al Gore, in the popular vote of Florida and thus certified the Republican slate of electors. Her ruling was challenged and overturned on appeal by Florida's Supreme Court; this decision, however, was itself reversed by the U.S. Supreme Court in Bush v. Gore. That Court ruled (5-4) that Gore's request to extend Florida's statutory deadline for ballot re-counts had no merit, because no Florida law at the time provided for that option. This ruling nullified the state court's decision, upholding Harris' certification. The decision foreclosed any further court challenges by Gore and resulted in Bush's margin of victory in Florida being officially tallied at 537 votes. Therefore, Florida's electoral votes — and the Presidency — went to George W. Bush....the supreme court preventing a recount...I don't know what you mean by silver platter...I voted for Bush in 2000 and I'm sorry I did..I was lulled into thing it would be a competent administration with Colin Powell & Candi Rice involved..... I'm not a Democrat but an Independent...but since this numbskull the only Republican I would vote for now is Chuck Hagel and he ain't running, so It will probably be a Democrat in 2008 for me. In hindsight, I wish Ralph Nader had stayed out of it and that Gore had won. I think we have a dangerous team in Bush & Cheney...dangerous for America...I hope we can carry on a higher discourse together...I'm not so sure marty is capable of it though :D:rolleyes:....how about it marty?

THAT ELECTION was almost SEVEN years ago.............can we drop the conspiracy theories?? :eek::eek:

FD - Theory...What Theory? :) ....this is a little discourse between marty, erd and I ....you don't have to read the thread you know...we ain't hurtin' nobody...least I'm not hurt, not sure about marty though

Last edited:
Too bad Gore lost so much credibility with his Chicken Little performance in An Inconvenient Truth. This book seems to be shades of Orwell's 1984. Hopefully he can make an impact but it is doubtful based on his logic.

History is written by the victors (no matter how it was that they came to win). So facts can be dismissed as theories.

the Florida governor's office in Tallahassee made 95 telephone calls to the George W. Bush presidential campaign, its advisors, lawyers and staffers during the 36-day recount period, records show. At least 10 calls came from an office number used primarily by Jeb Bush, including one call to a private line in George W. Bush's gubernatorial office in Austin. Another call from Jeb Bush's number went to Karl Rove, his brother's campaign strategist. One went to the Texas governor's chief of staff, Clay Johnson. Another went to Michigan Gov. John Engler, who soon flew to Florida to monitor the ballot recount in Broward County. Additional calls were logged to cell phones assigned to Bush campaign staffers.

In an e-mail this week to The Times, Jeb Bush said he could not recall the purpose of the calls. "I have no clue what these calls were about," he wrote.

"They most likely were return phone calls," Bush added. "In the alternative, they could have been my assistant passing on a request for an invitation to speak or an autographed picture. They might have been answering a request on where to eat in Tallahassee for the hoards [sic] of Austin folks that made their way here. They could have been for many reasons. I don't remember."
Jeb Bush's Recount Role Examined

Hee hee hee. Yep. I believe him, don't you?
Jeb was calling Karl Rove jes' t'say that a new 8x10, inscribed "to Karl, love Jeb" was in the mail.

Watch Gonzales' performance recently: acting like they fell off the turnip truck is Standard Operating Procedure for these guys.

Too bad Gore lost so much credibility with his Chicken Little performance in An Inconvenient Truth. This book seems to be shades of Orwell's 1984. Hopefully he can make an impact but it is doubtful based on his logic.

Al should hire a personal trainer and quit looking like a guy ready to keel over.........:D:D

Oh, ERD that hardly qualifies for lowering the discourse, how about the propagandists' Russ/Sean/Ann/Bill posing as journalists.
and all the rest (omitted for brevity)...

First, I hate right wing extremists as much as I hate Left wing extremists - both just stand in the way of real progress.

Election and 'silver platter': I meant that the Repubs did such a bad job that the Dems *should* have been able to come in and win by a landslide. They did not. Weak showing.

Vote counts: Let's get past the conspiracy theories and talk brass tacks here. Now, I would *never* condone cheating in an election. However, this is the real world. Stuff happens. Anyone in politics knows it, and they need to work to protect themselves against it. It's ugly, but it's the truth. If the Democrats were not able to fight these vote count issues and win, how can we expect them to fight far more sinister threats from outside our country? I am not saying the ends justify the means at all, but I think the theories (if you believe them) simply go to show how weak and ineffective the Dems really are.

Please note that nothing in my above statements defend Bush or anyone else. Simply pointing out how weak the Dems are. What I really long for is a strong third party - there is so much opportunity there.

If you are going to say that the Dems are just morally superior to the Repubs and would not resort to the same 'tricks', fine. But IMO you are being naive.

-ERD50

If you are going to say that the Dems are just morally superior to the Repubs and would not resort to the same 'tricks', fine. But IMO you are being naive.
-ERD50

If a Democrat does something wrong he/she is "troubled", and "needs help", if a Republican does something wrong, he/she needs to "admit they're wrong, resign immediately, and get a lawyer"...........

Yeah, no double standard in Washington...........:p

ERD50, As far as voting goes I would have agreed with you before the current crop found themselves in the halls of power. They are the direct descendants of the Nixonian rat-f***ers (Atwater and Segretti begat Rove, and not just metaphorically). These guys take it WAY beyond Nixonian.. to the level of an "extreme" sport, and I think they delight in how blatant they can be (besides voter suppression, see: signing statements, concocting evidence for the Iraq war, outing of CIA agents, refusal of subpoenas, warrantless wiretapping, secret prisons, suspension of habeas corpus, ignoring laws about documentation, AG lying to Congress and laughing about it, shaking down Ashcroft on his possible deathbed, etc.).

Are the Dems "weak" in the face of this? Yes.
Should they take it to the same level of outrageousness? Unclear.
If I were to answer whether Dems right now are more 'righteous', I'd say "absolutely". Only because they haven't, and shouldn't, stoop to the craven level of the Perles and Abrams and Cheneys and Yoos that currently run the joint.

Dems are not saintly, but are weak the way any average person would be when faced with a ruthless thug who will stop at nothing. They would have to TOP the current bad behavior to "win". Where would that lead us, given where we already are? I shudder to think.

I'd kinda hope some sense of order and the rule of law will once again prevail. I may not bet money on it, but that is my fervent wish.

--
Can I please say, with all due respect to FinanceDude.. you are just proving Gore's point. WHO CARES if he put on weight? ..that he wears "earth tones"? WTF cares! THIS is the appalling level of 'political discourse' that offends our intelligence. Now go join Chris Matthews to 'debate' Hillary's chubby legs... go read in all the papers about her (gasp!) cleavage. [Like Gore, she can't win for losing - she is either too "mannish", or now, it seems, too female.] It's decided already: Clinton and Gore must be put in the public stocks for ridicule, while a**holes like Giuliani and Romney ("double Guantanamo!") and Lieberman get the Very Serious Person red carpet treatment. The MSM courtiers have spoken.

This is the level of schoolyard BS that indicates the opposing contingent is largely made up of angry bullies with no real substantive arguments they can successfully put forth.

Let's just put the f***ing presidency up on American Idol, and then we can have a Jessica Simpson (hot!) or Justin Timberlake (has a personal trainer!) for pres... It's obvious how much hate and resentment the knuckle-draggers have for anyone with an ounce of smarts. I lived through the painful decrees handed down not only to Gore and Dukakis, but to John Anderson (does anyone even remember him? He got my vote.): all "too wonky"! "Wonky" means "able to speak off-the-cuff in complete sentences and paragraphs". Let's elect blithering idiots instead!!

GWB didn't even WANT to be governor OR president. He wanted to be baseball commissioner.

The Accidental Candidate: Politics & Power: vanityfair.com

Imagine the damage he'd be doing if he were actually INTO his job.

ladelfina - I voted for Anderson!
...we maybe the only ones on the forum that did.

ERD - I agree with a lot of what you said(except for the naive part!).

Gore was tarnished by association because of Clinton's hanky-panky, Bush was positioned as having a higher morality - the anti-Clinton, Nader was in the race, I remember being turned off by his condescending attitude towards Bush in one of the debates, etc.

In any case, he would have made mistakes, but I think they would have been minor compared to what has happened - don't think he would have gone into Iraq and would have been more gentle on the constitution, would have done better with Katrina, etc.

FD - remember how the repubs hounded/impeached Clinton over lying about a sex act that he tried to hide from his wife & daughter? No one is impeaching Bush yet, but there is lot of contempt of congress in the works...

Last edited:
My sentiments exactly. The right wing has a won the propaganda war a long time ago.

How so? The left controls the media and the educational systems. As our population moves more into cities and away from rural areas, the left is gaining more and more control over our lives.

Granted, right-wing talk radio, for example, flourishes while liberal radio withers and dies. But that's because, IMO, the right more nearly reflects the values and beliefs of the productive members of our society. The left prospers upon the backs of millions and millions of drones.

As a group of people, we Americans are the most insular, myopic and arrogant people on the face of the earth, shaped in part by the constant propaganda we've been fed about being the best place on earth.
The US is far from perfect, but what's a better country to live in, overall?

Meanwhile, by every social measure, we are ranked among the lowest of any developed country.
But productive members of society don't want those "social measures"! In most of the industrialized world, the millions of drones clamoring for more freebies is the "social measure" you hear about. And most of our problems, like the health care mess, for example, are caused or exacerbated by the "social measures".

As for Al Gore not getting elected, that's what happens when the masses no longer have a voice and special interest and those with the means to influence policies win. The propaganda has been so successful that the average American no longer knows how to vote in the best interest.
"The masses" have a voice. They used it to elect GWB. Just because the election didn't go your way doesn't mean that some tiny special interest is suppressing the vast majority.

The problem is, with both parties being controlled by the extreme fringe elements, it's no longer a question of who is "right" and who is "wrong"... most of us who aren't drinking the Kool-Aid or idealogically tied up in Party politics are left either voting for the lesser of two evils, or giving up on voting entirely. Tens of millions of people think, "What's the point?" when their choice is between Bush the neo-con or Gore the nutcase.

I regret voting for Bush, because the (slightly) lesser of two evils is still evil. If I could go back, I wouldn't be voting for Gore or Kerry, that's for sure... I think I'd just skip the Presidential election, or write someone in. And that's just what I'll do next year if another neo-con wins the Republican nomination... if Romney or Giuliani is the R, I'll vote for Fred Thompson as an independant, or write him in.

FinanceDude.. Whaaaat!?

If a Democrat does something wrong he/she is "troubled", and "needs help", if a Republican does something wrong, he/she needs to "admit they're wrong, resign immediately, and get a lawyer"........

Clinton ran around, but he never campaigned on "traditional family values über alles".

Let's put aside all the homosexual drug addict preachers and Rush Limbaugh and Newt et al. for a bit.. they're yesterday's news. Here, "ripped from the headlines":

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/07/16/vitter-speaks-is-he-‘morally-unfit-to-govern’/

At a press conference this afternoon, Sen. David Vitter broke his silence and spoke for the first time since he acknowledged being on the D.C. madam’s list. A remorseless Vitter attacked his “long time political enemies and those hoping to profit from the situation.” Vitter said he would not answer questions on the issue, claiming that “might sell newspapers but wouldn’t serve my family or my constituents well.” Watch it:

In Oct. 1998, Vitter attacked President Clinton, arguing the proper question was not whether people cared but rather whether Clinton was “morally unfit to govern.”

Some current polls may suggest that people are turned off by the whole Clinton mess and don’t care — because the stock market is good, the Clinton spin machine is even better or other reasons. But that doesn’t answer the question of whether President Clinton should be impeached and removed from office because he is morally unfit to govern. [Times-Picayune, 10/29/98]

Vitters had better damn well get a lawyer; soliciting prostitution is a crime.
Hypocritical, much?

Yeah, no double standard in Washington..

Oops.. Vitters has "quietly gone back to work" says the AP. Move along, folks.. nothing to see.

---
As far as "THE MASSES" speaking out and electing GWB.. again the 'victors' seem to want to re-write history. In both 2000 and 2004, even in the best of lights, Bush just squeaked by. The other half of "the masses" (now a huge majority.. he's about as popular right now as Nixon during Watergate) are fed up with him.

This is exactly the "assault on reason" that Gore correctly identifies. You don't have to be a Gore fan to acknowledge the pervasiveness of a kind of fantasy alternate reality on the right. Win by (maybe) .005%? .5%? 1%? .. and it is a mandate? The "masses" have spoken? Yikes! Take a remedial math class.

Yeah.. vote for Fred. I hear he smells great! Plus, his second wife is hot.

WTF:confused:? Just shoot me.

---
and one is perfectly free to dislike Gore, but why is he "a nutcase", exactly?
He's not singing "Bomb, bomb, bomb .. bomb bomb Iran" to the tune of "Barbara Ann", is he?
He doesn't cultivate the media dressed up in drag..
He doesn't wear magic underwear with masonic symbols.
We'll leave that to the "serious", "sane" candidates.

Get a grip, y'all!

Back
Top Bottom