Join Early Retirement Today
Assistance with Repointing a Fieldstone Foundation
Old 05-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
Assistance with Repointing a Fieldstone Foundation

Good morning.

I have yet to formally introduce myself and provide my background, but I certainly plan to as this site appears to be a wealth of information. I was referred by a friend and I like what I see so far.

I was wondering if anyone out there could assist with a home improvement project I plan to undertake?

I own a colonial home that was built in 1870. It has a field stone foundation and for the most part is in really good shape. However, I do have one area of the foundation wall that has 1 or 2 small leaks when it rains heavily.

I have done some outside work. I repaired the gutters and downspouts to ensure water was being drained away from the foundation. This has seemed to remedy the water problem

I would like to now repair the mortar joints. I know that I need to chisel out the old mortar to about a depth of a 1/2", clean joint, and reapply mortar, but what type of mortar should I be using? Lime based?

I have read that a bonding agent is necessary before applying the new mortar? Is this accurate?

Appreciate any feedback or direction. Look forward to future interaction.

Thanks in advance!

cgny74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
home improvement forums - Google Search

Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I did a search using these keywords
"DIY old fieldstone foundation restoration" and got a lot of hits.

Here's one of the results
Old Stone Foundations - What to Do?

Another source of info would be your state or county or town historical society. State level hist societies usually have public grants available for historic building restoration and will have a listing of local historic building owners in your area. Person to person is always better than the Internet and you just might make a new friend.

Good luck!
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
Wealth of info for old house DIY types here:

Renovation, repair, and restoration topics for the old house enthusiast - Old House Web

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote