Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-24-2019, 06:07 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Hopefully doing the same at 80 as I am doing now, without yard and house remodel work. Maybe a little less biking and hiking miles
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2019, 06:11 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Enjoying life with 3-5 years to live
Old 05-24-2019, 06:15 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I expect that if i'm not gone naturally by 80 then i'll take matters into my own hands. I expect pain and quality of life to be not worth it by then. I envy those who are able to live relatively pain free and independent lives into their 80's. Many(most?) are not so fortunate.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:34 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I'm only the 3rd male in my family, since the civil war, to make it past 60. The others were my DF and his brother. Both were active at 80. My uncle tried his hand at tennis when he was 92.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:37 AM   #25

The Cha, Cha, Cha!
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
At age 80?
Old 05-24-2019, 06:39 AM   #26

At age 80?

Doing the Cha, Cha, Cha! And I hope the E-R mobile app is a bit easier to edit posts by then :-).
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:44 AM   #27

Maybe some grandkids. Hopefully still mobile enough to get on an airplane...but not counting on it (desires might change) and they might have something other than air travel in 42 years

TO say I'll be colonizing mars is unlikely. Certainly by then they would take a stronger brute than an old hag of my future self.

Hopefully happy, and still knowing my children's names. That's really all I hope for.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:45 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I'm now in my late 60's and I seriously doubt that I'll see 80. Possible but not likely.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:51 AM   #29

When I gave up running and started spinning about 8 years ago there was an 80+ year old guy in the class who kept up very well with the rest of us and who inspired younger class members. I'm 74 now and still spinning 2-3 times a week. When (if?) I'm 80, I want to be the octagenarian in the class who inspires those "young" guys in their 60's.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
When I gave up running and started spinning about 8 years ago there was an 80+ year old guy in the class who kept up very well with the rest of us and who inspired younger class members. I'm 74 now and still spinning 2-3 times a week. When (if?) I'm 80, I want to be the octagenarian in the class who inspires those "young" guys in their 60's.
You just posted your 1000th post, congrats! I know I have a keen eye for detail.

I ran my first 'official' 15k last year. I was 36. The entire time I kept going back and forth passing and being passed by none other than a 64 year old. Yeah, he was definitely inspiring me...and proving to me I need practice! When I got done with the race I told my wife (Who also passed me up) that I just hope to be able to still compete at that age.

Saw a bunch of folks playing Tennis at the Kona Surf and Raquet club 2 winters ago that were well into there 60s. They were playing at a ridiculously high level. I had never actually witnessed a match as fast paced first hand as theirs. That REALLY inspired me...and my ole man!
Old 05-24-2019, 08:41 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

That's about 10 years from now and unfortunately I see myself taking care
of a somewhat incapacitated DH. DH absolutely will not exercise with one excuse after another and it's been that way for years, though he did pulmonary rehab - supervised exercise - a couple years ago when I told him I was going to Nepal without him. Surprise, surprise, he got better at walking and about everything. DH's been invited to give talks in Spain in June/July and I don't want to go but I really think he'd have difficulties without me there to take care of logistics and carry things. Dang, he won't even buy a light weight computer for me to carry. Fortunately he snagged an invite to Italy the week before so now I'm happier about going.

As one of my colleagues said "now I know know what 'for worse' means." But that guy - in his mid 80s - now travels without his wife. I hope to still be rowing and doing the local half marathon every year and who knows what new things will come along. Who knows, maybe even we'll even have grandkids.
Crewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:41 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

When I am 80 I want to be like my mother who is 86, doing great, still going strong, still dancing.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
At age 80?
Old 05-24-2019, 08:54 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

At age 80?

Gigolo at the nursing home...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:58 AM   #34

Living in a van down by the river, with several cats. It will be a top quality conversion van, and I and the furry companions will be deliriously happy

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:59 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewer View Post
That's about 10 years from now and unfortunately I see myself taking care
of a somewhat incapacitated DH. DH absolutely will not exercise with one excuse after another and it's been that way for years, though he did pulmonary rehab - supervised exercise - a couple years ago when I told him I was going to Nepal without him. Surprise, surprise, he got better at walking and about everything. DH's been invited to give talks in Spain in June/July and I don't want to go but I really think he'd have difficulties without me there to take care of logistics and carry things. Dang, he won't even buy a light weight computer for me to carry. Fortunately he snagged an invite to Italy the week before so now I'm happier about going.

As one of my colleagues said "now I know know what 'for worse' means." But that guy - in his mid 80s - now travels without his wife. I hope to still be rowing and doing the local half marathon every year and who knows what new things will come along. Who knows, maybe even we'll even have grandkids.
Not really on topic, but quit carrying his crap around. And buy your own lightweight computer.

Don't underestimate how much this will bother you in the years ahead. My DH has had 2 open heart procedures in the last six years and even when I assisted him with recovery (and he worked his butt off recovering) I was surprised at how life changing his slowed down lifestyle was to accommodate.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply hazy, ask again
Old 05-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #36

Reply hazy, ask again

I'm not sure whether OP is asking what I'd want to happen, or what I predict will happen.

What I'd want is to be in good health with my mind intact, and ditto for DW. I'd like to have some lovely grandchildren to spoil. I'd like my portfolio to continue growing beyond not just my needs but a few fancy luxuries as well.
Estimated probability, 25%.

What I predict will happen is that at least one of either me or DW will develop significant mobility or memory problems, which will precipitate moving from our beloved lakefront retirement house back to the city. Estimated probability 75%.

I hope my next observation comes across as tragically romantic rather than morbid. If DW predeceases me then I will lose any reason to live. I'll probably simply shut down and follow her within a month. I've seen this happen to other elderly couples, and I just have a sense that I'm wired the same way.

Of course, if I go first, she'll bring a date to the funeral!

OTOH, for all that we b*tch about the crazy cost of health care, the science behind medicine has been advancing at a blistering pace for decades. Maybe over the upcoming twenty years the impact of scleroses/cancer/dementia will be strongly mitigated, so we could still be in robust health enjoying year after golden year well past 80. In which case, I'll be glad I waited till 70 to claim my SS.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #37

At Age 80?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
How do you see yourself at age 80?
I couldn't picture myself at age 80 (I'm 74 now), so I found a website that would show me how I would look in 6 years. Cost me $2500, but worth every penny.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:28 AM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
How do you see yourself at age 80?
By waiting 15 years and looking in a mirror.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
Keep it going.
My mother attends spinning classes at 86 y.o.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:34 PM   #40
gone traveling

Passing in my sleep like my grandfather (not screaming like the passengers in his private plane).
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote