Join Early Retirement Today

AT&T problem!
Old 04-14-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Administrator

AT&T problem!

I don't use AT&T, and haven't used them for several years since I cancelled their long distance on my land line. I do my long distance through Verizon Wireless.

Today in the mail I got a "Thank you for choosing AT&T. Welcome to the AT&T Complete Choice Plan" letter in the mail, complete with User Guide. The letter refers to "your recent choices of new service". Apparently they think I have signed up for this plan, which includes every expensive option possible (that I have never been able to afford). Call forwarding, call waiting, call trace, call blocking, personalized ring.... you name it.

I definitely haven't signed up for anything, though I have been getting junk phone calls galore, and could conceivably have said as much as "not interested" before hanging up, if they called. (I am on the Do Not Call list, but it's election time and then there are others who are exempt from the Do Not Call ban).

What do you suggest as far as cancelling the order I never made? I called the 1-877-678-2355 number listed under "if you have any questions", and got a recorded phone company message saying that number had been changed, and for a charge of $4.99 I could call 10-15-15-8000 . I'm not about to do THAT.

Any suggestions? Is this a scam? It looks genuine and uses the AT&T logo. Anybody else get one of these?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When Your Preferred Telephone Company Is Switched Without Your Permission - "Slamming"

AT&T

Its also possible that its some bogus thing to get you to call that funny 10-15-15 number and get charged for it. Hell, some guys were impersonating the IRS in some scam emails...that takes guts.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I don't use AT&T, and haven't used them for several years since I cancelled their long distance on my land line. I do my long distance through Verizon Wireless.
I cancelled their long distance, to avoid the $5 monthly minimum charge, a while back too. Also do LD on my Verizon cell phone. I do use them for local land line and DSL for a combined charge of about $25/mo. It's a good deal.

As far as the new service you've apparently been scammed to.......

Go to att.com and look for a customer service number to call there. I found one there that I used to get through to them for help in finding the $10/mo DSL offer.

Also, write a brief letter denying the service.

If you're billed for the service, send a copy of the letter instead of a check.

If you're billed again, send another copy of the letter instead of a check.

If you're billed again...........
Old 04-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
Administrator

CFB, what is your interpretation from that webpage, of what I should do? Seems to me that nothing on there applies.

Their summary at the bottom is:

Quote:
What to Do if You’ve Been Slammed
Quote:
  • Call the slamming company and tell it that you want the problem fixed. Can't call without paying $4.99, which I am not about to do. If you have not paid, tell the slamming company that you will not pay for the first 30 days of service. Call your preferred telephone company to inform it of the slam, and tell it that you want to be reinstated to the same calling plan you had before the slam. Also tell your preferred telephone company that you want all “change of carrier charges” (charges for switching companies) removed from your bill. I don't have a preferred long distance company. I asked my local land line telephone company and was told that for my land line, I don't have to have and pay for a long distance company. I make my long distance calls from my cell phone.

• You can call the following toll-free numbers to verify your preferred telephone company or companies: This is nice, but will it do me any good as far as cancelling any services?
    • 1-700-555-4141 for long distance and international services and
    • 1+your area code+700-4141 for local toll services.
  • You can also file a complaint. If you live in a state that accepts slamming complaints, you can file your complaint with your state public service commission. You can find a list of states that accept slamming complaints at www.fcc.gov/slamming. You can find contact information for your state public service commission at www.naruc.org or in the blue pages or government section of your local telephone directory. Contact your state public service commission to determine the precise filing procedures. Hmm... there must be some simpler way of getting out of this. Maybe I should call my local phone company. But then, I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T didn't have some sort of minimum required even if I cancelled through my local phone company. Help!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-14-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Look at that at&t contact page I posted and fill in your zip or ph#, that'll give you email and phone options to contact them for free.

If they dont moonwalk out of the deal right away, try those 700#'s to resolve it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Go to att.com and look for a customer service number to call there. I found one there that I used to get through to them for help in finding the $10/mo DSL offer.

Also, write a brief letter denying the service.
OK, I'll try calling them (but I won't call the $4.99/call number on the letter). One problem with the letter: There is NO address listed anywhere in the letter. AT&T is a big company, and so any address that I picked at random off their website isn't likely to get to the right place to give me any results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
If you're billed for the service, send a copy of the letter instead of a check.

If you're billed again, send another copy of the letter instead of a check.

If you're billed again...........
OK. If I can figure out some place to mail it, then I'll do that.

This "Complete Choice Plan" doesn't seem to involve long distance services. It seems to involve call waiting, call blocking, etc etc etc.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-14-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
When Your Preferred Telephone Company Is Switched Without Your Permission - "Slamming"

AT&T

Its also possible that its some bogus thing to get you to call that funny 10-15-15 number and get charged for it. Hell, some guys were impersonating the IRS in some scam emails...that takes guts.
OK, I'm checking out the AT&T site. Yes, that 10-15-15 number sounds like one of those foreign for-pay numbers.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-14-2008, 09:07 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Google that goofy phone number. Its a scam.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_phones/ild.html
Seebach Exhibit 7: Spurious collect call charges - a new scam? "OANWEB.COM"
(101) 515-8000 / 1015158000
Old 04-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #9
Administrator

I Googled the phone number, and it looks like it is (was) the Bell South customer service number (?) But then I Googled the 1015158000 number and there I found the scam references (but haven't found one related to AT&T yet).

I looked at your links, and they look like they are talking about people who HAVE AT&T, and their usual bill from AT&T includes unwanted extra ILD charges. I don't have AT&T (or at least shouldn't!), and this plan doesn't include long distance service (yes it does, I just discovered that on the AT&T website). I'll keep reading on these links. (thanks...)

I want this to be a known scam SO BADLY....

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Those links included people who were being directed to call that 10-15-15 number only to find that they were billed $4.xx for the call. Seems like this is just another way to steer calls in that direction.

I'd still go through the at&t web site link I provided to get a contact number, call them and verify. They might want a copy of that letter if its a fraud, which it seems to be.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #11
Administrator

Oh well. Got to go to bed, but if anyone has any ideas thanks, and I'll read them in the morning.

So far, I haven't been able to find an actual address on the AT&T website. I found a phone number for a voicemail system, but it told me that they are closed for the night.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Those links included people who were being directed to call that 10-15-15 number only to find that they were billed $4.xx for the call. Seems like this is just another way to steer calls in that direction.

I'd still go through the at&t web site link I provided to get a contact number, call them and verify. They might want a copy of that letter if its a fraud, which it seems to be.
Thanks. I'll try to get to a human there tomorrow. There is no snail mail address anywhere. Maybe I'll try to get through to Bell South tomorrow too, and re-confirm to them that I do not want AT&T and have been "slammed".

Got to go to bed (sigh). Alarm ringing in 7 hours, 50 minutes...

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-14-2008, 09:49 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I went to the at&t link, put in my area code and first three digits and it gave me a prompt to put in what my question was about. I put in "slamming" (although it sounds like 'cramming' is more of whats been allegedly done) and it coughed up a residential main number for me which was the same number as is in the at&t phone book for residential service.

Maybe its different where you are but at&t provides all our local service here in much of CA.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Want2, a similar thing happened to me a couple of years after removing long distance (Sprint) from my landline. I was not slammed. Turned out I had inadvertently made a long distance call. Usually the phone indicates that long distance calls are not allowed. I went to call a neighbor but didn't realize that her cell phone was long distance. Calling customer service seemed to solve the problem but when I received a bill for .44 I went to dispute it and found out that that is the system. If you make a long distance call, it re-activates Sprint. Welcome back! I paid the .44. and they haven't bothered me since.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #15
Administrator

I went to bed, closed my eyes, and suddenly remembered that AT&T took over Bell South some time back. So, I have a phone bill with a customer service number on it - - good. If they give me any problems I'll threaten to drop my service entirely!!

Cuppa, I don't recall dialing a long distance number, though at this point I am not sure I remember anything!

Thanks, Cuppa, CFB, and youbet. G'night (really, this time).

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-15-2008, 09:06 AM   #16
Administrator

Follow-up/conclusion: Problem Solved. I called AT&T, got through their voicemail system to a real human being. She was very nice, and apologized saying that a "vendor" (paid phone pesterer, I assume) had said I had agreed to these new services on April 8th. She removed them and gave me her full name. So, I believe the problem is solved!
Thanks again, Cuppa, Youbet, and CFB. You were great help and support, which I really appreciate.

- - H. Melville, 1851