Join Early Retirement Today

AT&T / Time Warner Merger
Old 06-12-2018, 09:18 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

AT&T / Time Warner Merger

I heard today that the DOJ approved AT&T acquiring Time Warner. Boy, that sure brings back memories of the last time a company...America Online...acquired Time Warner. It marked the top of the late 90's bull market and represented the worst merger in history. But I'm sure nothing could possibly go wrong this time.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2018, 12:12 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

AT&T will be the king of debt after the merger with over $175B. The question is will the rating agencies downgrade the AT&T debt now or after they issue new bonds. The bond funds will plow other peoples money into this debt. Who cares it's diversification right? This merger makes no sense just like the last one with Directv where they paid far too much are are now facing subscriber losses. This merger is a distraction from their underlying problems. I would expect AT&T stock and bonds to fall after this approval.

Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:35 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

And there goes my cable competition. Those are the only two suppliers in my city right now. You have to switch between them once a year to get the teaser rate. Guess I better budget more for cable in the future....
Masquernom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:30 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquernom View Post
And there goes my cable competition. Those are the only two suppliers in my city right now. You have to switch between them once a year to get the teaser rate. Guess I better budget more for cable in the future....
Not cable, media.

Charter already acquired TimeWarner Cable and rebranded the combined company as Spectrum.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:39 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just remember when both companies so dominant in their fields. Deregulation in communications and competition in broadcasting has made both companies just shadows.of what they once were.

I just don't understand how combining two seriously underperforming companies can produce a good company.
Bamaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:20 AM   #6

All of that debt yet they will still be paying a 6% dividend? Can it last?
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:37 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Not cable, media.

Charter already acquired TimeWarner Cable and rebranded the combined company as Spectrum.
Thanks for that clarification.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquernom View Post
Those two were not competitors.

You are likely thinking of AT&T and Spectrum.
The Time Warner in the merger is Time Warner Media, not Time Warner Cable.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Cut the cord. Learn to live without cable TV. Problem solved!
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:13 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

With legal field now clear. Comcast makes a formal bid for Fox . Disney will counter. Not sure, but seems like old school capitalism ......which allowed many of those here to FIRE.

Henry Lili is offline   Reply With Quote