Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
We have Windstream DSL. It is the only internet available to us, other than satellite or dial up. Because it is the only provider we pay $50 a month for 1.5 mps. I can not speak to U-Verse, but I would not hesitate to use DSL. Our only problem with DSL is the distance from the primary switch and your connection can determine the maximum speed you can get. I do not believe this is a problem in most cities or towns. It is in rural America.

Heck, I am in the middle of a nice neighborhood and I can only get 3 MPS speed.... I was willing to go to 6 and the AT&T person was wanting to sell it to me... but came back and said 'sorry, I do not know why but it is not available where you are'... nor is U-Verse...

The few times it has gone out, it was back up in 5 to 10 minutes...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can follow up on this topic now, as I have had 3 months of experience with DSL from AT&T (6 mbs plan). Based on the mostly positive comments from people here and from local friends, I did make the switch from cable to DSL in July and am amazed at the difference in reliability. I have had no dropout problems at all, and I notice no difference at all in things like web page loads (however, I am not a high-bandwidth consumer).

It is interesting to note how "conditioned" I had become to unreliable cable service!

The only issue I ran across when I received the modem from AT&T is that it initially only worked with a direct connection to my desktop computer. A call to AT&T support was no help at all (they wanted to direct me to some separate service outfit that would charge me $75). I said, "uh, no thanks" and looked into it myself. It turned out I needed to tweak my router - something about PPOE - and after doing that my wireless connections worked and work fine.

AT&T charged me $75 for the modem but sent a VISA rebate card for that amount, so the cost was zero. As someone noted, I am getting a one-year teaser rate of $19.95/mo, which works for me.

Thank you all for your feedback!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I can follow up on this topic now, as I have had 3 months of experience with DSL from AT&T (6 mbs plan). Based on the mostly positive comments from people here and from local friends, I did make the switch from cable to DSL in July and am amazed at the difference in reliability. I have had no dropout problems at all, and I notice no difference at all in things like web page loads (however, I am not a high-bandwidth consumer).

It is interesting to note how "conditioned" I had become to unreliable cable service!

The only issue I ran across when I received the modem from AT&T is that it initially only worked with a direct connection to my desktop computer. A call to AT&T support was no help at all (they wanted to direct me to some separate service outfit that would charge me $75). I said, "uh, no thanks" and looked into it myself. It turned out I needed to tweak my router - something about PPOE - and after doing that my wireless connections worked and work fine.

AT&T charged me $75 for the modem but sent a VISA rebate card for that amount, so the cost was zero. As someone noted, I am getting a one-year teaser rate of $19.95/mo, which works for me.

Thank you all for your feedback!
I recently had to replace my AT&T DSL modem after 6 years. The replacement modem cost $75 with no rebate.

If you call AT&T DSL tech support. The first question they will ask is whether or not you have a non AT&T furnished wireless router. If you have a Brand X wireless router (as I do). AT&T DSL tech support will not continue until you disconnect your wireless router and connect your PC directly to the DSL modem.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
I recently had to replace my AT&T DSL modem after 6 years. The replacement modem cost $75 with no rebate.

If you call AT&T DSL tech support. The first question they will ask is whether or not you have a non AT&T furnished wireless router. If you have a Brand X wireless router (as I do). AT&T DSL tech support will not continue until you disconnect your wireless router and connect your PC directly to the DSL modem.

Exactly right. They offered me two options: buy an AT&T-supplied modem with a built-in router, or another without the router. The prices were, respectively, $100 and $75. I've been using my separate (IBM) router for a long time, and it is still working just fine and I wanted to keep the components separate, so I opted for the non-router modem.

When I ran into the only-through-PC problem, they said they would not help with a non-AT&T router. Google got me to the right info, and as I said it just turned out to be a configuration change on the IBM router.

Anyone else who runs into this problem: remember the cryptic acronym "PPOE".
Old 09-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #25

We have Time Warner for cable TV and internet. The price went up $10/month and they wouldn't cut me a better deal. Plus the internet service is very unreliable. I've been getting at&t mailers for u-verse just about every week for the last 2 years, sometimes twice a week. So I go to the website to sign up. "U-verse is not available at your address". Oh, then why have you been direct mailing me with what must be 100 peices of junk mail about u-verse? I call the number and ask them to validate my address. They tell me that several people in my neighborhood have u-verse, including my next door neighbor, so I should be able to get it. They will open a ticket to investigate and promise to call in a week.

Two months go by. I hear nothing. I go back to the u-verse website just to see if they updated it but forgot to tell me. "U-verse is not available at your address." Talk about a race to the bottom...
Old 09-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan
So I go to the website to sign up. "U-verse is not available at your address". Oh, then why have you been direct mailing me with what must be 100 peices of junk mail about u-verse? I call the number and ask them to validate my address. They tell me that several people in my neighborhood have u-verse, including my next door neighbor, so I should be able to get it. They will open a ticket to investigate and promise to call in a week.

Two months go by. I hear nothing. I go back to the u-verse website just to see if they updated it but forgot to tell me. "U-verse is not available at your address." Talk about a race to the bottom...
If it's this hard to get, imagine how well things will go once you've got the service.

"Hello, my service is out."

"Yes sir. Our records show that U-verse is not available at that address."

"But it was working yesterday."

"Yes sir. But U-verse is not currently available at that address."

I went through this fire drill with ISDN (stone age DSL) years ago. Not only did it stop working after several months, they refused to let me disconnect it. It was work related, and although I paid the bill, a former IT manager 'owned' the account. I wound up suggesting that I could simply stop paying the bill, as they would eventually turn off the service. A few managers later they agreed to turn off and stop billing for the installed service that wasn't available at my location...

They still think they're the Bell System, especially now that they've got the band back together.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #27

MPaquette and Soupcxan, that is the experience of one of our neighbors. We have the naked DSL at our house, yet every time they try to ask for it to get it instead of cable, ATT tells them that it isn't available in their area. So frustrating for them!

And I love that "especially now they've got the band back together", Paquette!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post

I bought one cheaper on Ebay...

But, I did purchase another wireless router and could not get it working no matter how many changes I made to the various options etc... and I followed the various 'fixes' that the manufacturer gave...

SOO, called AT&T and got a refund on my modem only and got the wireless... plug and play... I have been happy with it even though I have read a number of reviews that it is not the best...