At what age did you retire? (retire=NO paycheck)

At what age did you retire? (retire = NO paycheck)

• below age 45

Votes: 26 5.5%
  • 45 to 50

Votes: 57 11.9%
  • 51 to 55

Votes: 121 25.4%
  • 56 to 60

Votes: 147 30.8%
  • 61 to 65

Votes: 61 12.8%
  • above 65

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • not yet retired (includes semi-retired, etc.)

Votes: 60 12.6%

• Total voters
Loving Life

I retired at 60 while the wife went out at 55. Currently both are 65. Wish I did it earlier; life is great.

Age 65 but I married a beautiful woman 20 years younger than me. I have a sign on my Cuddy Boat that state: Heaven is...I fish, wife work.

I retired at 52, DH retired at 50. We are now 67 and 68 and have had a great retirement (except for the last 2 weeks when we had the flu--yuck).

I retired at age 57 in 2016. DW is still working at 56. I'm working on getting her retired so that we can start living it up!

Retired at 54. Hasn’t been quite 4 months and still seems like an extended vacation. Just picked up a lot of work at home for no paycheck :cool: but wife is happy, as her work load decreased because she is still w*orking at a j*b.

Guess I never recognized the extent of her work outside of the j*b!:blush:

I'm curious as to how many were made BETTER financially because of divorce? I was divorced in the early 2000's and was financially devastated at the time, but this was the impetus that put me on the track to retire very early. Had I not gotten divorced...oh man, I don't even want to think about that! :angel:
Don’t want to hikack the thread but I’ll say that my divorce 18 years ago at age 35 was very beneficial financially (after the gut wrenching emotions) since we didn’t see eye to eye on money. Since then I have remained single, no kids, and have saved and invested. Will retire at 53 this year—never would have happened had I stayed married.

Age 49. It's a bit riskier and lower income than I would like but I am rich at heart. I would go work in a war zone again for $$ and the income tax break if that happens again. I think about a part time hardware/computer debug job just so I can get free travel if anyone knows of any. I was a computer hardware design engineer. No Ex's or kids helped ;)

The target was 55, but that was 2010. Coming out of the downturn, still iffy. I was kind of burned out and ready, but not sure if we really had enough to survive another drop in the market. As luck would have it, I was offered a transfer to a project management position that I had always desired. Lateral transfer, but higher bonus potential.

I spent 5 years in that position. I liked the responsibility, the autonomy, the international travel with exposure to different cultures, and I was compensated with bonuses. After 4 years, we looked at each other and decided we had enough financially (actually twice what we had before), and decided on the 1 year exit strategy.

We were never in the position to exit before 50, let alone 45 and earlier, like some, but I have no regrets working a little longer. We enjoyed ourselves along the way. LBYM does not mean you can't have some fun while still working, and we did.

I'm curious as to how many were made BETTER financially because of divorce? I was divorced in the early 2000's and was financially devastated at the time, but this was the impetus that put me on the track to retire very early. Had I not gotten divorced...oh man, I don't even want to think about that! :angel:

I retired at 55 from the federal government with a pension that is 65% of my pay in 2006 but got a job with the County from 2006 to 2016 so I can collect 2 paychecks with only 1 job for 10 years.

Divorced in 2009 so my wife got 40% of my federal pension but only 15% of my County pension. Re-married to a beautiful woman 20 years younger than me and she is still working so I became a house husband at 65.

Divorce is both emotionally and financially devastating but i recovered by marrying a younger woman. It looks like I am going to have a happy ending. In reply to your question: I am now better off but in my case.....I married "up".

I voted below age 45, but could have come in under 35 if there was a category for that!

There is a tiny handful of sub 40 folks here. I retired a few months shy of my 40th birthday.

You're covered, 35 is still below 45.

Retiring before 35 is even more impressive than before 45, and deserves more bragging rights.

Heck, there may be someone who retired right at birth, never had to work a day in his/her life. Trust fund baby, anyone?

Went part-time online for 1/2 salary at 57, will stop completely next year at 62. DW stopped last year at 56 (the original plan was for her to keep working.)
So the average is 59!

I "feel" retired, not employed, even if I'm working 15 hrs/week online for 9 months a year. But I won't start that argument with the retirement fundamentalists here.

Gave my notice in at age 48 when a voluntary RIF package became available 8 years ago (July 4 independence day). The company was so gracious they let me continue on for up to the end of the year - not only giving me that Christmas week pay, 26 weeks severance, but a deferred pension that i can (and am now) receive at age 55 without an early leave penalty.

I just made that magic 75 point to qualify by just a few months - age plus work years > 75. Otherwise my pension would have been cut in half.

I really enjoyed that last half year supporting the launch into orbit of the hardware i was responsible for with a great team.

56 in 2017. No DH so no extra salary to add to the savings, but no kids spending it either...

Former employers want me to come back in April and work for a couple of months to fill a gap; they mentioned Casablanca so I think I'll do it. Does that 'unretire' me?

Last paycheck at age 47.

DW just retired this year at age 53.

-gauss

I am trying to get my husband to retire this year at age 60. I am 42 and will keep working for an amount of time yet to be determined.

Back
Top Bottom