Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Sometimes after a good discussion a thread goes way off topic (could be good or bad), sometimes they just get repetitious, and sometimes go too long into joking mode.

When do you cut the cord? What if someone actually restarts the intelligent discussion that might have taken place earlier in the thread and you miss it because you unsubscibed? What if it restarts months later and continues to be interesting?
Here?? Porky visits the threads here long before they get anywhere close to the threshold where I'd unsub. On City-Data, I do frequently unsub. I have a bunch of the utterly inane cretins on my ignore list, and so when the thread begin to look like...

"This message is hidden because xxx is on your ignore list."

... then I know it's way past time to unsub.

There was a time that I would automatically unsub on C-D when the thread reached 80-100 replies, given how consistently threads there (at least on certain forums there) become worthless at that point. I think there was even a point in time when I wouldn't subscribe to threads at all there... I would just review the current thread titles, read the ones that interested in me, post a reply perhaps, and that would be the end of my participation in that thread.

Disclaimer: I just came out of surgery and so meds might be affecting my comments.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I get subscribed to threads I contribute to with an e-mail. I have that e-mail automatically sent into my SPAM folder in GMail. There I can see which ones I wish to continue with.

GMail empties my SPAM folder every so often. For threads I don't care to follow any longer, I just unsubscribe to them manually.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote