Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

At wits end with my dog.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

At wits end with my dog.

i have a fifteen year old Bichion that I have had since she was 5 weeks old. We just moved into a house which I am in the process of remodeling top to bottom including all new wood floors.

Since we have moved in, she has taken to going to the bathroom in the house. No matter how often I let her go out. As she is pissing all over the house, and I can't stop her, I have taken to cutting out a hole in baby diapers for her tail, and diapering her. Then I put doggy pants on her.

More than 1/2 of the time she gets diaper off and goes in house. I bought a cage I tried keeping her in it, and letting her out to go to the bathroom, but unless I leave her in cage 24/7 , she goes soon as she get out, and won't stop barking until I let her out. It's also a problem as she is going so frequently - easily six or more times a day. (Just like us old folks) She is still quite lively for her age (though nearly blind). I am at a point, I am thinking of putting her to sleep (never thought I'd ever say this) I am a dog lover, and this remedy is beyond hurtful for me to contemplate, but she is literally ruining the house.

What would you guys do?
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have you talked with a vet about the problem? Does she have any other ailments/issues? 15 is pretty, um, doggone old...

R
Old 04-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
gone traveling

Do you have a pet door ?
If you do, put the cage against the pet door, so she has to go out to pee.
Dogs never pee where they sleep.
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Have you talked with a vet about the problem? Does she have any other ailments/issues? 15 is pretty, um, doggone old...
+1. It's not uncommon for older dogs to become incontinent, though there are other possible reasons as well.

Urinary Incontinence in Dogs: Causes, Treatments
Urinary Incontinence in Dogs: Causes and Treatment

Tyro
Old 04-04-2013, 02:35 AM   #5

Can you keep the dog outside?
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:06 AM   #6

I have heard that some dogs just cannot accept change in habits such as your move to a different house. Don't know the answer to this problem but age can also be a serious issue. I certainly would talk to your vet.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #7

I'd take her to the vet for some blood work if you have not already done so. Frequent urination is a sign of diabetes. Is she thirsty also?

Her kidneys could be failing. There are many reasons for this and without blood work, it's hard to know what is going on.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #8

I had a 14 year old Yorkshire Terrier that was incontinent his final year, and he voided frequently just as you describe because he wasn't able to hold it. I fully understand your challenge....and your heartbreak.

I tried dog diapers that I bought at the local pet store, but they wouldn't stay on. (He was only 7 pounds) So I created cloth diapers out of wash clothes and water proof crib pads that I could get snug enough around his middle to stay on with safety pins. He didn't seem to mind the soft cloth as much as the paper diaper that was bulky and made noise when he walked, so he didn't fight them as much. I got the water proof crib pads at Wal-Mart...a set of two was about $8.00

Once the cloth diapers worked, I cut and sewed several of them into the shape I wanted and sewed on velcro straps that went almost around his entire body. I made several of them so it wasn't hard to keep them washed and dried and ready to go.They worked pretty well until it was clear he was ready to go....and I put him to sleep June of 2012.

We now have a beautiful little papillion boy who we love very much....but I still miss my little yorkie baby and always will.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
I'd take her to the vet for some blood work if you have not already done so. Frequent urination is a sign of diabetes. Is she thirsty also?

Her kidneys could be failing. There are many reasons for this and without blood work, it's hard to know what is going on.
+1 my thoughts exactly or possibly a urinary tract infection
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
+1 my thoughts exactly or possibly a urinary tract infection
A urinary tract infection was the only time I experienced this with my previous dog. No problems with the current one.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I think a urinary tract infection is the most obvious choice, probably brought on by stress of moving and the change in routine brought on by the renovation. Definitely a vet visit is in order, very quickly. In senior animals, many times we just think these things are part of the aging process, when in fact they can often be fixed with proper diagnosis and treatment.

Run, don't walk to the vet with your great old dog!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
Confused about dryer sheets

have your dog checked for bladder stones. it sounds exactly like what happened with our dog.
mak palen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #13

I agree with all the previous advice to take the dog to the vet ASAP.

At her age, in unfamiliar surroundings, and with all the commotion of the house being torn up, it could very well be a stress-related UTI.

Or, it could be diabetes, as others suggested. A friend of mine had an elderly pet who began peeing everywhere suddenly, and she took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with diabetes. With proper treatment the peeing issue was resolved, and he lived several more years in relatively good health.
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak palen View Post
have your dog checked for bladder stones. it sounds exactly like what happened with our dog.
Our schnoodle (schnauzer-poodle mix) also had bladder stones which caused very similar problems. Had a choice of either surgery or "chemically" disolving the stones using a specialized dog food. We opted for the chemical treatment and it was 100% successful after about a month on the new diet. She now used a different specialized food to prevent recurrence.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I agree with all the previous advice to take the dog to the vet ASAP.

At her age, in unfamiliar surroundings, and with all the commotion of the house being torn up, it could very well be a stress-related UTI.

Or, it could be diabetes, as others suggested. A friend of mine had an elderly pet who began peeing everywhere suddenly, and she took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with diabetes. With proper treatment the peeing issue was resolved, and he lived several more years in relatively good health.

+1
Expect the worst and hope for the best.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-nyc View Post
Can you keep the dog outside?
Please don't put a 15 year old housedog outside all the time, especially a dog like a bichon.... I think it would be kinder to put the dog to sleep before it came to that.

Definitely take the dog to the vet, it may be something very simple that you can clear up, and if not then at least you have the vets opinion as to what is going to be best for the dog as far as putting him/her to sleep if that is your decision.
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #17

I posted earlier on this subject and being a dog lover, really feel for the owners and the dogs involved in situations like this. In my mind, the dog just feels terrible that he/she cannot please their owner. The look in their eyes says "I'm so sorry, please don't hate me".

Then there is the story of my grandson in Austin, TX who trained his dog to ring a bell when he has to go out to the bathroom. It's just mounted on the wall at the back door, used his paw to ring the bell and go do his thing. Corgies are supposed to be smart dogs. This one surely is.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #18

Thank you all for your kind suggestions. I am in the process today of trying to locate a good vet (new to area) I was up to 2 am this morning reading all I could find on the subject. If it turns out not to be a medical issue, but an age related issue, then I was thinking of trying one of those indoor doggy potty's perhaps. I can't just use the pee-pads, as she will want to tear them up. I actually have a similar problem myself, and need to wear pads, and she goes into the bathroom and tries to get them out of the can and chew them up.

No, I could never leave her outside. She is small and always has been a house dog. Besides, I have moved to Las Vegas, and temperatures here in the summer are in the 110-114 degree territory. No I don't have a doggie door. She has a hard enough time making it out the sliding glass door and hesitates quite a bit before making the step down. I just don't think she would take to a doggie door. Half of the time I have to pick her up and place her on the ground myself.

I think she suffers from dementia, because she gets very disorientated and I have a difficult time getting her to go the right way. Anyway, need to get back on the phone. Thank you again.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

When our dogs were very old and become incontinent, we put them in the laundry room (vinyl floor), put a see through gate in front of the door to the laundry room, cut a hole in the wall and installed a dog door and a ramp. Then we sectioned off that side of the yard. They no longer had run of the house, but they could be inside in the laundry room, which was heated and air conditioned and next to the family family, or go outside whenever they wanted to. If they did have accidents inside, it was easy to clean the vinyl. Eventually the laundry room idea no longer worked, but it got us a few more years together without destroying the house or leaving them outside.

Good luck. I hope you find a solution that works for you and your dog.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post

I think she suffers from dementia, because she gets very disorientated and I have a difficult time getting her to go the right way. Anyway, need to get back on the phone. Thank you again.
Perhaps its time to think about putting her to rest. You said she is pissing a lot indoors. Soon she may start doing her no 2's as well. We had a friend whose dog started to have diarrhea. That was terrible!
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote