Join Early Retirement Today

Athletes ripped off by planner
Old 06-22-2016, 11:15 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Athletes ripped off by planner

How not to pick an FA
O.C. money manager bilked Mark Sanchez and Jake Peavy out of millions, SEC alleges - LA Times

Sent from my LG-H810 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 11:38 AM   #2

Same as it ever was. Pro athletes making exorbitant sums of money get bilked by con men masquerading as "investment gurus". The only thing these crooks are really good at is knowing how to manipulate wealthy but very naive athletes, who it seems are even less informed than the general public when it comes to personal finance management.

Here is one interesting tidbit from the article that caught my eye.
Quote:
Narayan [the crook] built relationships with Sanchez, Peavy and Oswalt [the pro athletes] by appealing to their shared Christian faith and interest in charitable work, according to the lawsuit. Sanchez and Narayan attended the same California church, the agency said.
Sigh. Once again, blind faith coupled with lack of common sense leads to trouble.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #3

A fool and his money are soon parted...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:15 PM   #4

Who can you trust? The NFL players association tried to solved this problem by creating a list of 'certified' financial advisors that would be safe for the players to use. Only problem is that some of the advisors on the list have also ripped off players, to the tune of over $100M.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:43 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I'm not sure they are too much to blame.
They hired a Financial Advisor, they got statements showing how their investment was doing.

Don't we all do that in some way, I get financial statements from my brokerage, but there is no independent way to actually verify it's true.
It's not like I can phone GE and ask them "hey do you show in your books that I own 300 shares?".
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:00 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
They hired a Financial Advisor, they got statements showing how their investment was doing.

Don't we all do that in some way, I get financial statements from my brokerage, but there is no independent way to actually verify it's true.
It's not like I can phone GE and ask them "hey do you show in your books that I own 300 shares?".
Getting statements is one thing. But according to the lawsuit, the wealth manager got hands on a lot more than requested:

From the article:
Quote:
Oswalt and Sanchez had agreed to make six-figure investments in Ticket Reserve, but Narayan instead invested more than $7 million on behalf of each player, according to the lawsuit. Narayan invested $15 million on Peavy’s behalf, though the SEC said the pitcher did not authorize an investment in Ticket Reserve.

According to the suit, Peavy did not find out about Ticket Reserve until early this year when Oswalt called him with the news that Narayan had been fired from RGT for making inappropriate investments. The firm, which manages about $4.4 billion in client assets, terminated Narayan in February.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

I kind of agree.

Obviously, you can't trust anyone but yourself (and sometimes you can't even trust yourself) but some people need to focus on what they are good at and get help on other things.
They invested their money with an FA who appears to have been a fiduciary.
They tried to limit their investment to 6 figures but the FA seems to have forged it to 7 figures.
You've got to admit, some financial documents you end up signing, read like greek sometimes when you try to review and understand it.

What are the lessons learned here?
If the ultra high net worth need help managing their money, only invest with major firms even with higher management fees so if your their goes rogue, you can sue the company?
Old 06-22-2016, 04:33 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

That really sucks for them. Is hoped that the approved list that the player associations would help avoid these situations, but if even those guys are swindling the players...

I'd pretty much say right out that these guys shouldn't be investing in any sort of alternative investments. The standard should be net worth AND investing experience, not just net worth.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Getting statements is one thing. But according to the lawsuit, the wealth manager got hands on a lot more than requested:

From the article:
Yes, but he showed them forged documents, so they thought everything was fine.
Just like I think I own 300 shares of GE
Old 06-22-2016, 05:16 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, but he showed them forged documents, so they thought everything was fine.
Just like I think I own 300 shares of GE
Yeah. I see what you mean now about the forged documents.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Yeah. I see what you mean now about the forged documents.
One way to check would be to look at the forms mailed out before shareholder meetings which contain the number of shares. I doubt a forger would go to the trouble of forging them, and if you go to the address to vote the shares and the number works it would show the proxy gathering company agreed with the statement.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:49 AM   #12

You would think they would have at least a couple of grey cells rubbing together up there. It seems like large sums of money quickly acquired would have made them wary enough to research who to trust and where to invest especially when there is a looooong history of athletes getting ripped off this way.

If the NFL players association really wanted to help they could provide representatives from a few well respected mutual fund companies (ie Vanguard, Fidelity, TR Price) to offer "money coaching".

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:41 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I wonder why no one guides these over-wealthy guys to Vanguard for their investments? Oh yeah, no one gets paid to do that and the investor needs to investigate it a bit on his own. Seems like an achievable task for someone who, at least, attended an American university for a while.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I wonder why no one guides these over-wealthy guys to Vanguard for their investments?
Exactly. You'd think the Player's Association (which is, after all, the strongest advocate for players getting the best possible deals from the NFL owners) would simply setup an arrangement with Vanguard and/or Fidelity to get each player a personal adviser that handles all their assets for a modest 0.3% per year, just like all non-celebrity-athlete clients can get.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:49 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Exactly. You'd think the Player's Association (which is, after all, the strongest advocate for players getting the best possible deals from the NFL owners) would simply setup an arrangement with Vanguard and/or Fidelity to get each player a personal adviser that handles all their assets for a modest 0.3% per year, just like all non-celebrity-athlete clients can get.
Maybe the Player's Association decision makers get really nice presents from the FA's otherwise know as bribes/kickbacks