Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'm really out of it. I'd never heard of a reveal party and had to look it up.

Okay, I'm a curmudgeon, it strikes me as tacky.
Ditto
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2017, 03:36 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'm really out of it. I'd never heard of a reveal party and had to look it up.

Okay, I'm a curmudgeon, it strikes me as tacky.
It might be a East Coast , Northeast Coast thing. Its seems like the natural progression, after the 75K wedding. BCG didn't grease us enough to cover his plate, He has got to be good for another $200 for this reveal party, we will only serve snacks , and cakes, we will recoup the wedding that was a loss leader.

Oh, wait I forgot one, now the first birthday calls for a massive party. Usually held in an outdoor venue where Im sweating more than my poor mother did in the hot school kitchen. You are not getting away with a rattle or a pajama set. Another break out the checkbook event. hahah
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Ditto
Or how about inviting your half broke struggling cousin (me), to a black tie wedding, The tux rental, and the brides gown was a half of weeks salary.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 09-30-2017, 03:48 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I haven’t attended a wedding in 6 years. People are still getting married?
I'm not sure! Here, they send fancy invitations to a "Celebration" that doesn't involve getting married. I guess the idea is that they do not want to marry but still want the gifts. Although, I admit, I don't really understand it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:50 PM   #25
Administrator

We're going to a wedding in a couple of weeks. We are long time friends with the bride's family, but not that close. The mother of the bride called DW to chat and told her that she was going to dress "casual". Right. The invite says "Black Tie Optional". I think she's trying to set up DW ..
Old 09-30-2017, 03:53 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The invite says "Black Tie Optional".
I prefer the ones that say "You own a tie? Well, look at Yoouu".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:55 PM   #27

Quote:
The mother of the bride called DW to chat and told her that she was going to dress "casual". Right. The invite says "Black Tie Optional". I think she's trying to set up DW ..
The way out of that is to wear a formal gown underneath the overalls....
Old 09-30-2017, 04:10 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
The way out of that is to wear a formal gown underneath the overalls....
Walt, we can always count on you for practical suggestion. I'll let DW know.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:46 PM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm not sure! Here, they send fancy invitations to a "Celebration" that doesn't involve getting married. I guess the idea is that they do not want to marry but still want the gifts. Although, I admit, I don't really understand it.
I think that might be a commitment ceremony .You pledge your commitment to each other even though you would not marry them. Very Popular !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:51 PM   #30
Gone but not forgotten

Showers in new Jersey were huge with gifts like a dining room set or a full set of china .When I moved to Florida I went to my SO's daughter in law to be 's shower and I brought what I thought was appropriate (a full set of their wine goblets in various sizes ) .It was serious overkill . It was the best gift there by far and her Mother is still mad at me .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:54 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

We lucked out again this summer. DW decided not to go her least favourite nephew's wedding 2000 miles away. So we did not book air, car, or hotel.

She was just about to send a cheque as a wedding gift when I suggested that she send it after the event just to make sure. I had a 'feeling' that all was not perfect in their rose garden.

Well, two weeks prior the big wedding/reception got called off. That's what can happen when you have a very interfering and very opinionated mother living in the same house as you and your fiance for the past year

So, saved the money we would have otherwise sent. Did not have to throw away any air reservations. The nephew and fiance still living in the same house but status unknown. Mother/ MIL was unceremoniously booted out. About twelve months less a day too late if you ask me. My guess is that they will now live happily ever after-wedding or no wedding.

We have another nephew's wedding coming up in Jan (DW has a big family). So the choice is....attending a mid January wedding in Ontario, Canada (think snow, cold) or being on a beach in Thailand. Yes, you are right. The beach, the sun, the sand, the fabulous food trumped the rubber chicken in the frozen north. Sent our regrets. Really...who gets married in the winter
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:59 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I think that might be a commitment ceremony .You pledge your commitment to each other even though you would not marry them. Very Popular !
I think we used to call that "going steady".
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:43 AM   #33

What amazes me is how elaborate and expensive the showers, engagement parties, and bachelor/bachelorette parties have become. We have friends who have a son and DIL who have been attendants for about a dozen friends over the last 3 years. When I got married a bachelor or bachelorette party was a night out on the town. Now it's a long weekend in Vegas, Cancun, Cabo, or some other destination. Not affordable at all. Kind of crazy how much is spent on all of this.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:59 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

We know some people who went quite deeply into debt to finance their daughter's big wedding and reception.

DW and I thought they were a pair of dopes for doing this. They will be paying it off for years. What daughter would do this to her parents or allow her parents to do this for her knowing the financial strain it would place on them.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:02 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
What daughter would do this to her parents
A daughter raised by people who would do what the parents did?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:04 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
What amazes me is how elaborate and expensive the showers, engagement parties, and bachelor/bachelorette parties have become. We have friends who have a son and DIL who have been attendants for about a dozen friends over the last 3 years. When I got married a bachelor or bachelorette party was a night out on the town. Now it's a long weekend in Vegas, Cancun, Cabo, or some other destination. Not affordable at all. Kind of crazy how much is spent on all of this.
Yeah, I completely forgot about those, as we advanced in age we no longer get invited to them. When we were first married I would go to the bachelor parties dinner part, then if a strip club was involved I would lie and say I had to go in for a midnight shift. After a few years I confessed to the grooms that the bride would be upset if I went to a strip joint with the boys. And since he was getting married he had to learn respecting his future wife's wishes are an important matter in marriage. About 15 years ago my wife got invited to her cousins bachelorette party in Vegas. She left the invitation on the counter for a few days, she didnt say anything, but let me squirm a bit. Finally she said, "Um my cousin is having a farewell to being single party in Vegas, I would go, but you would starve to death and be wearing dirty wrinkled clothes so Ill stay home". Yup worked for me
Old 10-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

My 25 year old son is paying for his own wedding. Fiancee, (who we adore) is in grad school. He gave her a $10,000 budget. I kicked in $2,000. I will be paying for the rehearsal dinner for 40 people. The wedding sure grew... OMG! They said pizza and beer is fine and that is what I will do. Oh and I paid for his brother and family's condo for a week. Stay tuned for a magical evening next March.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
(They expect to break-even with an average of $500 per person cash gifts) ... !
Typo?

The last wedding I went to as my nephew's. They had lived together for four years at the time. And we're currently living in my brother's house, with no expectation of moving out. In fact they're still there.

I handed him a card with $100 bill inside, which was not easy to get at the bank as they mostly have $20 and $50. I know I signed the card as I wrote a short note inside it. I am one person. So I get this email from him about three months later stating he will send me a thank-you card as soon as he gets the gift. I asked him if he got the card, and he confirmed that he received it. $500 per person? Hell no!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Well, two weeks prior the big wedding/reception got called off. That's what can happen when you have a very interfering and very opinionated mother living in the same house as you and your fiance for the past year
Mom misstepped as she might have finally 'won' and gotten them out
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:52 AM   #39

All this makes me glad I'm from a small family. DH more than makes up for it - one of 6 kids so lots of nephews/nieces. So far only 3 weddings of the 12 kids of that generation... But a nephew (DH's godson) is waiting for the right time for his wedding to his longtime partner... Too many health issues in his family they decided to not add another stresser/event. Probably next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

They claim it would be embarrassing to not do the same. Thankfully for her dad, niece and BF are paying for it themselves and thankfully they can (barely) afford it. (They expect to break-even with an average of $500 per person cash gifts)

DW can't wait.
I'd rather have a tooth pulled but it will be nice to see the entire family having fun on someone else's dime other than mine for once!
If I read this right - it's not entirely on someone else's dime if you're expected to pony up $500/person (so $1000 for you and your wife) for this family reunion.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Well, I survived attending the wedding. Very happy for the bride and groom and family. Did have a couple of aggravations. My credit card stuck in a machine (if you can call it that) for about 30 minutes so some guy had to be called to take out the card as other cars waited being me. Other time, I thought the gift card I brought got lost but instead a family member had that but didn't tell me . Other than that, the wedding was very nice.