Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: If your SO give you this. After thanking him what would you really be thinking?
This guy is a keeper- great sex for a month. 5 22.73%
How many other girls did he sleep with. 0 0%
Costco? The ring is lovely but he should have put it in a Tiffany box 0 0%
1 million for a ring what is he thinking with a 4% SWR that is 40K/year 17 77.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Attention Costco shoppers
Old 08-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Attention Costco shoppers

I knew that Costco has been moving upscale lately but isn't this pushing the envelope a bit.

A 1 million dollar ring from Costco?

So this poll is for the ladies.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp
I knew that Costco has been moving upscale lately but isn't this pushing the envelope a bit.

So this poll is for the ladies.
Funny find.

I think your sample group may be a little biased though. I can think of a few places where the last option would be the joke option, but I'd bet it wins out here.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Can that be a 33% wholesale discount if they're only selling one of them?

In our family, on the way out we'd stop at the food court for a pizza & frozen yogurt. I wonder if spouse would be wearing the ring home from the store...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nice rock. Part of the cost must be the precious metal for the setting .

Sister-in-law's family were jewelers, but SIL wears a beautiful cubic zirconia solitaire. Her friend who sells insurance has tried forever to get her to insure that huge "diamond" she thinks SIL wears.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Can that be a 33% wholesale discount if they're only selling one of them?

In our family, on the way out we'd stop at the food court for a pizza & frozen yogurt. I wonder if spouse would be wearing the ring home from the store...
Very Berry Sundae! I miss them so bad.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
Funny find.

I think your sample group may be a little biased though. I can think of a few places where the last option would be the joke option, but I'd bet it wins out here.
I am so not taking that bet. It does a raise any interesting question how unusual is this group. Feel free to steal it and post other places and we will compare result.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Ah, diamonds don't impress me. Seriously. Overpriced and often flawed in spite of what they are graded as.

The ring Mr B gave me was called "Blue Ice" by the guy who sold it to him when we were doing his mother a big favor by cashing in some old silver that his late father collected over the decades.

Is it a blue diamond? Is it blue topaz? Or is it blue cubic zirconium?

Who cares? It is beautiful and it is from him.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #8

Well, the last option surely has to win on this forum. Just thinking of how many different things $1 million could be used for and the sparkly rock isn't high on the list. How about a $2,000 diamond ring, I bet you could get a pretty one for that and then invest the remaining $998,000.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

oh come on now. It's Costco! Just buy it (after making sure the size needed is 6.5) take it home, make points, and return it in a few weeks after the excitement has worn off. Wouldn't that work?

Thank heavens my gal likes turquoise!
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:31 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
oh come on now. It's Costco! Just buy it (after making sure the size needed is 6.5) take it home, make points, and return it in a few weeks after the excitement has worn off. Wouldn't that work?

Thank heavens my gal likes turquoise!
Oh my god that is brilliant. With Costco's return policy I think I could probably get away with two separate engagements. Although getting the girls to return the ring may prove difficult.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:59 AM   #11

Is it delivered in a Brinks truck or put in your mail box by the USPS?
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I don't think Costco occupies any special niche in retail. It will sell anything so long as it makes 10% markup. How many jewelers would sell such a ring for 10% profit?
Old 08-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I'd be thinking, "Wow, he traveled all the way to the nearest Costco, in Houston or Alabama, just to buy me an overpriced ring? Is he even a little mentally stable?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay
How about a $2,000 diamond ring, I bet you could get a pretty one for that and then invest the remaining $998,000.
Then, as powerplay suggests, I'd wonder why he didn't just invest it and buy me a more reasonably priced gift. Exactly what does he expect from me in return? Do I really want to be entangled in this relationship?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Are you freakin' kidding me.... If a man, woman or a monkey gave me that diamond ring, I'd be thrilled!

Ain't ashamed to say it. I love diamonds!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

I would say thank you . Take the ring and move quickly leaving no forwarding address .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #16

Does the Costco cash back feature on your American Express Card or Executive Club membership apply to this purchase?

I've purchased modest jewelery from Costco and never bothered to look.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

But at Costco don't they sell these in packages of 10?
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:38 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I would say thank you . Take the ring and move quickly leaving no forwarding address .
When my mother died after over 25 years of marriage, my father offered my wife the pick of Mom's jewelry box. (He was planning to sell the rest of it at a later estate sale.) Mom kept the jewelry box on her dresser for as long as I can remember, but it was "private" and nobody touched it-- including Dad. That was the first time in my life I'd ever seen inside it.

Among the usual familiar items, it held three diamond engagement rings. Of course Dad had only been responsible for one of them, and nobody in Mom's family knows (or would admit) where the other two came from...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

What a great story, Nords! Shame that you didn't get to find out who her other suitors were.

I had a diamond engagement ring, but I lost the stone out of it after 17 years. Now I wear my wedding band and a nice sapphire ring that my mom gave me on my left hand. No way I would want to buy a replacement for the engagement ring.

DH made payments on it for nearly a year before we were married. Bless his heart.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
What a great story, Nords! Shame that you didn't get to find out who her other suitors were.
I found a simple gold wedding ring in the sand on Kailua beach in 1967. I couldn't find the owner, so I just kept it in my jewelry box for several decades. Had I died, people might have wondered. That never occurred to me! I don't have it any more, though I don't really remember what I did with it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote