Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Attic Insulation.............
Old 10-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave
Sam,
Where did you hear about lung disease from standard fiberglass insulation? Asbestos insullation for sure, but that has been off the market for ages.
I believe that standard fiberglass insulation is very likely to cause lung disease. Asbestos was well known in the scientific community to be dangerous long before it was pulled off the market. Fiberfax (high temp fiberglass) was known to be dangerous back in the 70's and fiberglass was suspect as well. My conspiracy theory is that the use of fiberglass is too widespread to allow the problems to surface.

My house has no insulation.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think if you inhale enough of anything, it will cause cancer. Yesterday I saw a guy on a job site cutting fiberglass railings with a chop saw. He was kneeling, bent over the saw, cutting one after the other, dust flying all around him - not even wearing a mask!! I didn't even want to slow down without holding my breath and he had probably been at it for hours. ACK!

Old 10-21-2006, 02:43 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskaverse
I believe that standard fiberglass insulation is very likely to cause lung disease. Asbestos was well known in the scientific community to be dangerous long before it was pulled off the market. Fiberfax (high temp fiberglass) was known to be dangerous back in the 70's and fiberglass was suspect as well. My conspiracy theory is that the use of fiberglass is too widespread to allow the problems to surface.
It probably doesn't do you any good but the risk is much less than asbestos for the following reason.

There is a particular problem with particles in the 0.1-1 micron particle diameter (The critical dimension is the diameter for fibers because short fibers align with the flud flow streamlines).

Particles larger than 1 micron tend to get caught in the respiratory track and never make it into the lungs.

The lungs actually have a mechanism for removing particles less than 0.1 micron and can therefore protect themselves.

But there is no natural defense for particles of 0.1-1 micron. They get into the lungs and stay there.

The diameter of asbestos fibers put them right in the problem area but if I recall the glass fibers in fiber glass tend to be 10 microns or greater.

Also crystalline materials are worse than amorphous materials.

But even given the above I wouldn't handle fiber glass insulation with out some kind of protection.

MB
Old 10-21-2006, 07:50 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb
But even given the above I wouldn't handle fiber glass insulation with out some kind of protection.
Absolutely!!! And don't forget goggles.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:35 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Radiant barriers (foil, mylar, etc) break down with time, not worth the $$. Bat insulation is available with craft paper "barrier" and no barrier.
Amen. I've spent a bunch of hours hauling old foil out of the attic of a rental property; it all fell down under its own weight.

Warning: Make sure you look out for water piping in your attic; the more you insulate, the greater the risk of the pipes freezing. Like in the aforesaid property, where, in a tenant-less winter, the geyser ran for a month before Waterworks finally called to say "Yo, z'up?" $80,000 later....