Join Early Retirement Today

Auto brand reliability
Old 03-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Auto brand reliability

I saw this chart on Yahoo and thought I would share...

Seems like the domestic brands have a long way to go.....

Foreign brands shut out Detroit in Consumer Reports
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I saw this same chart on something I was looking at over the weekend. My personal experience agrees with this, I'll never buy another GM product again.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We have two Toyotas, but it's still disappointing to see, I want the US automakers to do well. And I thought the US automakers had improved reliability, and that the Japanese automakers had slipped, IOW the gap had narrowed? I do notice when I flip through the CR reliability charts for individual models that some domestic models do very well and others are abysmal whereas Toyota, Honda and some others almost never have any "bad" reliability models. Sad for the US...

Cost of repairs is another consideration the chart doesn't speak to. The Volvo, BMW, Audi we had (and especially Dad's Mercedes) were fairly reliable (though not equal to Toyota or Honda) - but when repairs or even routine maintenance was required, the prices were criminal! $1200 for brakes on my DW's Audi TT at 66K miles was normal per the dealer that car never made it to another brake job, it was traded for a Toyota.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Though I currently have a Prius, my previous three vehicles were Chevies. My last car was a truck; a Silverado, owned 13 years and 115k miles with no repairs. The previous pickup ate two starters, but otherwise no problems. So, not bad, in my n=1 experience.

As always, YMMV...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #5

Just 2 weeks ago I turned in my 85,000 mile 2004 Infiniti G35 coupe for an old-f^&t Lexus ES. Sadly, I have some considerable back problems that made shifting the clutch an issue, never mind the effort it took to get out of the low seat! I considered American brands (prior to 2004 I was a loyal Ford owner) but just couldn't do it.
I found the Lexus more luxurious and was swayed by their known reliability. Of course, I still miss my sports car
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The surprise to me in this graph was Mazda... I thought that when Ford invested in them awhile back they started to share engines etc.... so I have not looked at a Mazda for my last few cars...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Every American car I've owned - Ford, Chevy and Chrysler - has been a disappointment. Every Honda I've owned, manufactured here in the US in Marysville, Ohio, has been very reliable. Obviously the American worker can produce a good car. It's the bean counters in Detroit who screwed up the American car industry.
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've always known that Lexus, Toyota, Honda, etc. have consistently held some of the top positions, but I didn't realize Subaru and Mazda were there as well. Like other posters here, I've had similar bad experiences with Ford and Dodge and nothing but great experiences with my Toyotas and Hondas. It would be very hard to convince me to ever change again... unless QC changes for the worse for Japan and/or for the better for US. Cars are too expensive to go into something with questionable reliability.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #9

Oh no.
Not another Consumer Distorts auto thread
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
gone traveling

FORD - Found on the Road Dead or First on Rust and Deterioration
FIAT - Failed Italian Automobile Technology
GMC - Got a Mechanic Coming?
HONDA - Had One, Never Did Again
JAGUAR - Just A Guess, U Are Rich ?
BMW - Bags More Women
PORCHE - Proof Of Rich Spoiled Children Having Everything
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
FORD - Found on the Road Dead or First on Rust and Deterioration
FIAT - Failed Italian Automobile Technology
GMC - Got a Mechanic Coming?
HONDA - Had One, Never Did Again
JAGUAR - Just A Guess, U Are Rich ?
BMW - Bags More Women
PORCHE - Proof Of Rich Spoiled Children Having Everything
AUDI - Accelerates under demonic influence

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
BMW - Bags More Women
Or as Romney would say " Binders More Women"
Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

FIAT - Fix It Again, Tony
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #14

Big Money Waster
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
FIAT - Fix It Again, Tony
I own a RENAULT

Havent heard a funny one on this, so must be a good car
the real funny this is this means absolutly nothing...
Old 03-27-2013, 01:31 AM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

the real funny this is this means absolutly nothing...

it is about maintaining your vehicle, if you don't it might be a statisically feature, if you do your car might outlive you.
LifeIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:46 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Glad to see Mazda way up there. I just got my first one 3 months ago - a Mazda3 Grand Touring hatchback with Skyactive. It's incredibly fun to drive and the gas mileage is great. But I think my 2013 is the last model year to be made in Japan so we'll see how quality holds up as production moves to Mexico.

EDIT: Dodge & Ford scored pretty low but my Ford Taurus lasted 16 years with only a couple of minor things going wrong and my '99 Dodge Ram is still going strong and approaching 200K miles.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:27 AM   #18

I had a ford pickup new in 95. sold in 06 for a new chevy pickup. still have the chevy. I never replaced anything but brakes and tires. plus routine maintainence. I have been looking at toyota for a new car and when I talk to the service people their shop rate is close to 100 per hour. scary.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:16 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Take a look at Consumers Report......you'll see a lot of GM recommended models. And, it you want cheap and reliable look at the Koreans......that have made impressive improvements in the last couple of years.

I'm selling off a 4 year old Buick Lecrosse with 35,000 miles next month.....It's never had one bit of warranty work performed. Sometimes when a Toyoda breaks down,say 'Everything breaks once in a while" When a domestic brakes down they say: "see, Detroit built another lousy car" Am I prejudiced? Sort of, I have distant family in Detroit, and I know the Japanese frown upon buying anything but their own products because they would be disloyal to their fellow Countrymen......So, you don't see many BMW's or Audi's in Japan.

I agree that Detroit has to earn our business. I don't believe, however, that there is significant difference in quality except for a very few models. So, before you buy, look at the model stay away from the losers....regardless of who built them Me? I buy Detroit and Korean ......both have been very reliable the past few years.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:51 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The surprise to me in this graph was Mazda... I thought that when Ford invested in them awhile back they started to share engines etc.... so I have not looked at a Mazda for my last few cars...
+1 was also surprised about their reliability and test scores. Personally, I am partial to Hondas ever since my son was broadsided in his Civic by a Camry who was fleeing the police at 80+ MPH. I suspect in many other cars he would have been killed.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote