Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
I own a RENAULT

Havent heard a funny one on this, so must be a good car
RENAULT-Rarely Ever Nice And Usually Loadsa Trouble
RENAULT-Retarded Engine, No Acceleration, Ugly Lump of Trash

You asked...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Oh no.
Not another Consumer Distorts auto thread

You might think so, but with (IIRC) 8 million responses I don't see how it is distorted...

Show me anything else that rates cars for the long term that is not distorted and actually shows something different than what is here... I would like to see it...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeasterday View Post
Glad to see Mazda way up there. I just got my first one 3 months ago - a Mazda3 Grand Touring hatchback with Skyactive. It's incredibly fun to drive and the gas mileage is great. But I think my 2013 is the last model year to be made in Japan so we'll see how quality holds up as production moves to Mexico.

EDIT: Dodge & Ford scored pretty low but my Ford Taurus lasted 16 years with only a couple of minor things going wrong and my '99 Dodge Ram is still going strong and approaching 200K miles.

One of the problems with reliability is that most people view it as a one off... IOW, my car lasted 16 years etc. etc... I am happy... and I actually had a good Chevy for over 10 years..

But, if you have a fleet... it is different... where I worked at mega, they had a small fleet in the dept I worked.... something in the neighborhood of 50 cars... most were Ford Taurus... between 50K to 100K the majority of them needed a new transmission... they were about 3 years old... sure, there were a few that had zero problems.... but on average they sucked...
Old 03-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I own a RENAULT

Havent heard a funny one on this, so must be a good car
I learned on an old Renault Dauphene back in the early 60s. Fun little car kind of like a VW beetle only slightly less expensive. I don't think you can find Renault in the US today.

Wife has a 2011 Ford F150 and I drive a 2012 Ford Escape. The first new cars we have purchased but they were just before retiring with the hopes they would last until we need to give up our drivers license. So far they seem to be doing well. We'll see. I did my research on cost and value. The Ford dealer was the only one who would work with me. Toyota, Honda, and Mazda wasted my time and would not budge off the sticker. I guess they didn't want my money (I pay cash only) so I walked.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I learned on an old Renault Dauphene back in the early 60s. Fun little car kind of like a VW beetle only slightly less expensive. I don't think you can find Renault in the US today.
Wow, I remember seeing them in person, just don't remember where I was (US or not)!

Sadly http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...657681,00.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg renault_dauphine_poster.jpg (130.8 KB, 3 views)

Old 03-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #26
gone traveling

Well I'll admit, I like to buy cars that were "made in the USA". I have 3 vehicles at time. My only GM vehicle was built in Bowling Green KY and my two Toyotas were built in San Antonio Texas. (even though, like most vehicles, many of the parts were made in other countries) All have been very reliable.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I have finally given up on buying any American car built by one of the "Big Three". Have had great experiences with American made trucks/truck based vehicles (2001 Suburban just turned 285,000 miles old, 2005 Ford pick-em-up has been trouble free for 85,000 miles), but my car (also built in Bowling Green KY) has ben nothing but one problem after another (rear end replaced due to manufacturer using incorrect fluid, new roof due to de-lamination, etc.etc.) to the point where I see no reason to EVER make the mistake of buying another car built by the "Big Three".

Love the trucks, however.....
EllisWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post

I don't think you can find Renault in the US today.

!
You can. They are called Nissan. Well, sort of...

Google Renault-Nissan Alliance.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisWyatt View Post
I have finally given up on buying any American car built by one of the "Big Three". Have had great experiences with American made trucks/truck based vehicles (2001 Suburban just turned 285,000 miles old, 2005 Ford pick-em-up has been trouble free for 85,000 miles), but my car (also built in Bowling Green KY) has ben nothing but one problem after another (rear end replaced due to manufacturer using incorrect fluid, new roof due to de-lamination, etc.etc.) to the point where I see no reason to EVER make the mistake of buying another car built by the "Big Three".

Love the trucks, however.....

Our 2004 Explorer is a POS... lots of problems and even the costs are not cheap...

Had the rear bearings replaced at $1800.... then find out that there are another set back there... another $600..

From bearings went out and cost $300 plus for the part... forget what I paid in total....

Had some sensor go out in the engine and it was hard for them to find the problem... after them having to take off the manifolds... put in a new one, cost $700...

The power steering reservoir rusted out... forget how much it cost... but not cheap...

The paint is coming off the hood... the back panel on the lift gate has now cracked twice (it was replaced once).... and the alarm will go off just because it wants to....

And these are just the big problems...

Nope, I don't think they make a good truck....
Old 03-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
One of the problems with reliability is that most people view it as a one off... IOW, my car lasted 16 years etc. etc... I am happy... and I actually had a good Chevy for over 10 years..
Oh yeah, I totally know these are one-off examples. I would never, ever buy a new Ford but back when my wife just moved here from Taiwan and needed a cheap car to learn on (she never drove a car in Taiwan) the deal we got on the Taurus at the auction was too good to pass up. And on my Dodge, I've had several different mechanics comment about that being a very good year for Dodge trucks.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
RENAULT-Rarely Ever Nice And Usually Loadsa Trouble
RENAULT-Retarded Engine, No Acceleration, Ugly Lump of Trash

You asked...
You just made that up didn't you.

The official version (approved by the carmakers) is Really Excellent Neat And Unbelievably Lovely Technology
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #32

All I can say is... I love my Subaru every more :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I saw this chart on Yahoo and thought I would share...

Seems like the domestic brands have a long way to go.....

Foreign brands shut out Detroit in Consumer Reports
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You just made that up didn't you.

The official version (approved by the carmakers) is Really Excellent Neat And Unbelievably Lovely Technology
I'm not that clever. I just entered "Renault acronym" in Google and voila...

Old 03-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #34

Missed Fiat, must be a good brand.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:17 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
+1 was also surprised about their reliability and test scores. Personally, I am partial to Hondas ever since my son was broadsided in his Civic by a Camry who was fleeing the police at 80+ MPH. I suspect in many other cars he would have been killed.
We have a 2007 Mazda 5 at 85K miles and nothing has gone wrong. The handling and steering are superb on this car. I just wish some reliable Japanese brand could get Audi-like interiors and handle like a Mazda and then I would have found my perfect vehicle.
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:06 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Ford has greatly improved their quality & engineered designs. We have two Escapes, while may not be indicative of their entire line, they fit our needs well. We looked at GM & Chrysler, but I believe their engineering has been to lessen the cost & weight of their cars.
I continue to drive 2 old MB's with a total of 500K miles. I do all of the maint so that cost is only parts.
I too, agree it would be great to see a Detroit comeback.
Cessna5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

After 3 generations of being only a GM family, my dad bought a Toyota as his last car when he was in mid 70s. Then I finally bought a Subaru after a few GMs. It is too bad. I love to work on GMs, but the politics (government owned) and unreliability drove me mad. I love the GM engines and trannies, it is all the other stuff (alternators, interior, etc.) that is lousy.

I had a Saturn and liked it a lot. Would have stuck with it, then the suits at GM screwed it up.

I love the Subaru. I frequently drive by the SIA plant in Indiana and always do a tail wag to acknowledge my baby's birthplace. Subbies are fun because they are good cars, and not the same old Honda or Toyota everyone else has.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

GM became damaged goods when they stubbornly tried to convert a gas engine into a high compression diesel. They failed miserably with broken cranks, connecting rods and more. Later the using one divisions engine in a "higher" level division car without admitting to do so, until later.

Shame, but its all history now.
Cessna5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #39
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I love the Subaru. I frequently drive by the SIA plant in Indiana and always do a tail wag to acknowledge my baby's birthplace. Subbies are fun because they are good cars, and not the same old Honda or Toyota everyone else has.
DW has a 2006 Forester, and its a nice vehicle, however, the original dealer I bought it from moved a good distance away. A year or two later, another Subby dealership moved in reasonably nearby, but within 2 years it moved to another locale further away. So we are left with having to drive too far (at least for me) to get to either of the two remaining dealerships in the area. Maybe with more sales this will change, but until that happens, I will probably pass on buying another Subaru.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna5354 View Post
GM became damaged goods when they stubbornly tried to convert a gas engine into a high compression diesel. They failed miserably with broken cranks, connecting rods and more. Later the using one divisions engine in a "higher" level division car without admitting to do so, until later.

Shame, but its all history now.
Yea, it's hard to live that down, but there are so many
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote