Auto insurance - considering American Family

Peaceful_Warrior

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just moved two states away and have to get a new insurance agent because my auto and homeowners cannot be transferred. I've been with State Farm for 14 years, but would prefer a local agent and am considering American Family Insurance.

Does anybody have experience with American Family... especially for large claims?

I do not have experience with American Family. I would suggest that you look at their financial strength ratings and try to get information on complaints. Do they pay claims! Check with your state insurance commissioner (web site).

I just shopped all of my P&C policies. What got me moving was the poor practices of a couple of the Big P&C companies (one of which I have).
I am going with on carrier and saved 22% on my annual premium. I also got more features on the policies (covers more risks), the company has a higher financial rating, and a better track record in terms of less complaints by customers.

I am very pleased.

They should be OK, but make sure you shop around first. Most state insurance commissioners will list complaints per 1000 policyholders on their website.

If you can afford it, I hear nothing but good stuff about Amica.

They should be OK, but make sure you shop around first. Most state insurance commissioners will list complaints per 1000 policyholders on their website.

If you can afford it, I hear nothing but good stuff about Amica.

THanks for hte tip on the state insurance commissioners office... checked it out.

Just tried Amica's online quote system... looks like they are about 100% more than AFI and 80% or so more than State Farm.

Can you tell they don't compete on price?

I can definitely see that. Of course, I don't file small claims so I really am only concerned with catastrophic, totals, and huge liability lawsuits... which may make the extra premiums worth it for the insurance that my insurance will actually insure!

Did you lose USAA in the divorce, too? Man, she musta had a pit bull for a lawyer!

Fortunately never married her... but maybe I shoulda!

Though I'm not sure I'd save in insurance premiums enough to cover losing half my assets...

Agree with the other poster who pointed out that the high end insurance companies such as Amica, Chubb, Eire, etc. do not compete on price but rather on better service.

Check out JD POwers ratings and comments on the web, I think you'll find that many/most of the "household name" insurance companies who compete on price have lots of dissatisfied customers once it comes time to make a claim...

Back
Top Bottom