Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-16-2020, 11:44 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I called twice and both reps said they did not have a written document to share that spelled out coverage in more detail
That is awful -- that might as well say "we'll cover it if we feel like it". Cancel it, like yesterday.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
They are typically a good deal for the seller, usually not a good deal for the buyer. I would not buy it.
Generally I agree with this, however, I’ve had a couple cars with extended warranties and they did end up paying for themselves. Of course those were GM vehicles so the odds may have tilted a bit more in my favor. Plus, I receive employee pricing (father in law is a GM guy) so that helps too. Right now I have one on my truck (6yrs/100K miles). I’m going to sell the truck right before I hit one of the cutoffs. On my other car I went bare. DW does just not drive enough. I’d need something like a 10+yr/100K warranty and they just don’t sell those.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:24 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No small details on the coverage before buying is not uncommon in a lot of situations. The detail is too difficult to convey with a short synopsis. Much like buying an auto or life insurance policy, and many other kinds of service purchases. "They" give the prospective buyer a short description outlining some major points. If you buy, then you get formal documents with more detail than most will read. You then have a short period to cancel at no cost if you don't like the details. Not the way I would like it to be. But it is what it is.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:07 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Generally I agree with this, however, I’ve had a couple cars with extended warranties and they did end up paying for themselves. ............
If you were in the business of pricing and selling extended warranties and had all the durability and lab test data on the car and all of its components, would you price the policy so that most people come out ahead buying it? That is exactly the position the manufacturer is in.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:22 PM   #25

For me it's easier to buy a vehicle like Hyundai or Kia with a solid lengthy initial warranty. No question about what's covered and I've found routine maintenance at the dealer to be reasonable in extent and price. I mean oil and filter change for $30 is hard to beat although they just increased it to $40 for 2020.
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Generally I agree with this, however, I’ve had a couple cars with extended warranties and they did end up paying for themselves. Of course those were GM vehicles so the odds may have tilted a bit more in my favor. Plus, I receive employee pricing (father in law is a GM guy) so that helps too. Right now I have one on my truck (6yrs/100K miles). I’m going to sell the truck right before I hit one of the cutoffs. On my other car I went bare. DW does just not drive enough. I’d need something like a 10+yr/100K warranty and they just don’t sell those.
I did say they are usually not a good deal for the buyer, not always. If the policies were a good deal in general for the buyer, they wouldn't be good for the seller. Travelover's post explains it better than I do.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #27

IIRC, Geico's plan gets good reviews...it's the only non-OEM plan I'd consider if I had their insurance.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:01 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
If you were in the business of pricing and selling extended warranties and had all the durability and lab test data on the car and all of its components, would you price the policy so that most people come out ahead buying it? That is exactly the position the manufacturer is in.
Of course not. I think that has already been stated. They aren't going to sell something that loses money for them on average. No one is suggesting these things are a "good buy" on average for someone who can afford to self-insure.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 01-16-2020, 03:44 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
............. No one is suggesting these things are a "good buy" on average for someone who can afford to self-insure.
But whenever we have this discussion, someone brings up an anecdotal tale of coming out ahead. My point is that anecdotes do not equal data.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #30

It isn't always the mathematical breakeven answer that drives whether it is a good deal or not. It could be a good deal based on one's management of possible catastrophic occurrences that makes it worth while. Think Term Life insurance. If you die during the policy period, your family wins. If you survive and never get to collect, you win but it wasn't such a good financial deal in the end. There is a real cost to such things. Overall, the issuing company wins. Individually, one might pull one over on the company.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:50 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
But whenever we have this discussion, someone brings up an anecdotal tale of coming out ahead. My point is that anecdotes do not equal data.
Perhaps. But on the other side, whenever we have this discussion there are people who ridicule the idea and anyone who would consider buying such a product. I would always encourage due diligence, educating yourself about the product and shopping around, but everyone has their own comfort zones, risk tolerances and everyone places a different value on removing uncertainty from their financial lives.

So I would say that people's own comfort with accepting unknown financial risk does not equal data, either. It goes both ways.
Mechanical Breakdown, positive experience
Old 01-24-2020, 06:52 PM   #32
Dryer sheet wannabe

Mechanical Breakdown, positive experience

We. have used the mechanical breakdown coverage with Geico, it is very inexpensive (on our new 50,000 Diesel 4x4 3500 truck, it is about $10 per month...we don't put alot of miles, so basically it is like doubling our manufacture warranty...paid out very well on another car we owned...actually it is the reason we stay with GEICO, because much cheaper than extended warranty and much better...you have to be the first owner of a new car and get it when the car is new.
Ebendana is offline   Reply With Quote