Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
If I need to produce these papers, it will be when I've been pulled over for a possible ticket or because I've been in an accident. In both cases I want things to be as simple as possible and I don't want to cause the cop any head-scratching about why my papers look funny. I sure don't want to ask them to wait while I scroll through a tablet or telephone.
+1 rarely ticketed
-gauss

Sent from my LGLS751 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2016, 12:17 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I like the key-fob garage door opener idea, currently when going to the garage, I take the garage door opener out of the car and hand over ONLY the car key & car lock fob.
They already know my address.

But I have thought about it when the car sits in the driveway overnight, a simple broken window and they have access to the garage (I do lock the door from garage to house).
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:20 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I like the key-fob garage door opener idea, currently when going to the garage, I take the garage door opener out of the car and hand over ONLY the car key & car lock fob.
They already know my address.

But I have thought about it when the car sits in the driveway overnight, a simple broken window and they have access to the garage (I do lock the door from garage to house).
But it is equally easy to break a window in the house as well. When I lived in Houston, they just heaved 2x4s thru windows to get in (after I fixed the sliding glass doors). (house glass does break easier)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That's what I do - the insurance. I'm not required to carry vehicle registration paperwork as my vehicle has a sticker (TX).
I'm not sure what the law is these days, but in Texas, the police can look up your insurance status in real time. They'll usually ask for your proof of insurance anyway. I "guess" if you have a card they don't have to "check" specifically for that on line.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:16 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I'm not sure what the law is these days, but in Texas, the police can look up your insurance status in real time. They'll usually ask for your proof of insurance anyway. I "guess" if you have a card they don't have to "check" specifically for that on line.
That makes sense--it might save them time. It would also seem to be an opportunity to interact with the driver, take a look at them and to unobtrusively scan the exposed areas of the passenger compartment as the officer looks at the paper, it gives a reason to get close to the driver (while taking the papers) and sniff for alcohol on the breath, etc.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote