Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2015, 10:45 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

Again, the question was: Do most people really spend $595 on service without any idea what's included?

Some have answered, others maybe not... ...
I can only speak for myself - I would never leave it open ended as to what to do. Like others, I look up what needs to be done from the manual, and tell them to do what is on my list (and ask for a price if don't already know).

Of course, a shop will normally do an overall check, and they may suggest other work. I'm able to base their trustworthiness on what they suggest. A few times, they pointed out things that really did make sense, or if not critical, I may just say 'we'll do that next time it's in'. If they make suggestions that I know are just money-grabbers, I find someone else.

But I would not be surprised that many people just go with whatever the dealer suggests.

On a side note of DIY repairs - I also am not so excited to get my hands dirty or crawl under a car anymore, but sometimes you'll find that a check on youtube will show the job to be very simple. Changing spark plugs on my Volvo S40, and my kid's old Altima was really simple. Four cylinder, transverse engine, the plugs are practically waving at you, 'here I am, lefty-loosey and I'll pop right out'.

Spark plugs bought on-line, or even the local auto-shop and a few minutes work can save > $100. That is - if it's easy. If it's not easy (like a V-6 with plugs buried in the back that I can't even see), then that's one for the shop, and I'll gladly spend the $$.

But then again, plugs on new cars may only need one or two changes in the life of the car, so a one-time charge isn't a big deal either.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Again, the question was: Do most people really spend $595 on service without any idea what's included? Some have answered, others maybe not...
NO! I would never do that and unlikely to even do that "service" with the list itemized. My 99 Camry with about 140K goes to a local independent shop for oil changes and needed repairs. Last year some oil leaks were repaired and it was pretty expensive, but did need to be done. They also did the timing belt even though it was probably OK for awhile yet as the timing belt was originally replaced between 80-90k. I only do very simple things myself anymore like replace wiper blades and air filter.

Would you consider finding a local independent mechanic and skipping the dealer at least for cars out of warranty?
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

The vast majority of the service cost will be labor. So a lot depends on how much you trust the mechanic/dealer. When I got my used Toyota I took it to 2 different dealers for the initial factory maintenance. My experiences were VERY different, which led me to trust one vs. the other. Even so the one I trust I question things, and at least they are up front it terms of telling me what they feel is really needed vs. what they just recommend.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

No, this old broad goes in with a list from the manual and talks to " the boys" at the franchised shop. They even drag me out to look at the car up on the lift! I see more than I ever want! Once the car is out of warranty, I only use " the boys" it helps that they are scared of me and know I will bring the old car back if I think something ain't right.
I always know what they are going to do.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We reviewed the list and they confirmed all of it would be done for $595.

Again, the question was: Do most people really spend $595 on service without any idea what's included? Some have answered, others maybe not...
Absolutely not. Like you I used to do a lot of work on vehicles years ago. I stick with the dealership through warranty. After that there's a nice independent place couple of miles from here. When I've checked on prices, they seem to be 30% cheaper than dealership.
In this area the other big rip offs are big name tire shops and the oil change places. Had to threaten the owner of the oil change place with small claims court after his kids tore up the air intake cowling on DWs Jeep. Sent her home in it(we lived on a gravel road), air freely flowing around the air filter!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Do most people really spend $595 on service without any idea what's included?
No, never. Like many I used to do all of my own maintenance but now I find I don't even want to bother with oil changes - the cost difference, if there is one, is not significant enough to matter any more.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Just a note on believing what a mechanic says needs to be done...

DW told me to take the Explorer in before we went on a 3K mile trip.. it has 65K miles on it... was talking to the guy and he said 'the plugs are supposed to be changed at 60"... so I said, "OK, then change them"...

Well, after the trip with more time on my hands I looked it up and the book said they were good for 90K....

One of the things I liked about my Acura was that it would tell when the oil needed to be changed and when service needed to be done... one time when I took it in the guy asked me about doing something and how often... I said I only do what the car asks me to do and when it asks me... stopped from asking more...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:59 AM   #28

If they are also actually changing the trans fluid with filter, brake fluid, power ster. fluid (na on elec steering) , spark plugs, that is not too far out of line. If they say "Inspect" the fluid , thats too much $

Remember, the Services salesman, I mean "Service adviser" absolutely is a commissioned salesperson, under intense pressure to get his/her commission % of the bill to make a living, in addition to pressure from the dealer to sell services. They can get canned just like anyone in sales for not meeting sales targets. It's an ugly part of the auto business , don't think it will ever change.

EDIT PS , I avoid the "Quick Lube type places" like the plague. Some may be ok, but my experience is outrageous scare tactics as sales tools and incompetence . At least with the dealer mechanic incompetence is rare.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:25 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Do most people really spend $595 on service without any idea what's included?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
No.
Yes, just look at the daily decisions that the average person makes everyday, it's scary.

For both business and personal vehicles only go to dealership for warranty and advanced diagnostics. Any place that tries to sell you nitrogen in your tires is look out for their best interest in all matters.
mike143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post

EDIT PS , I avoid the "Quick Lube type places" like the plague. Some may be ok, but my experience is outrageous scare tactics as sales tools and incompetence . At least with the dealer mechanic incompetence is rare.
Well--uhm, you may give dealers too much credit. Of course, sometimes it hard to separate incompetence from indifference and/or revenue enhancement. For example, my RV (a Roadtrek) is built on a Chevy 3500 Express chassis so I go to Chevy dealer when they offer their lube and oil change specials. Only problem is that unless I make an issue at time of write-up, they conveniently neglect to lube the 12 zirk points. I got clued on this when rig came due of change when traveling cross-county. Ended in a truck maintenance place and mechanic told me that all my zirks were dry. Uhm, funny since all the rig's service had been done on time at one dealer.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:14 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Well--uhm, you may give dealers too much credit. Of course, sometimes it hard to separate incompetence from indifference and/or revenue enhancement............
Plus some dealers have separate oil change bays with unskilled laborers doing the drain plug stripping oil changes.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Plus some dealers have separate oil change bays with unskilled laborers doing the drain plug stripping oil changes.
+1 Has happened to me a few times.... one time the guy did not even tighten the plug and I lost most of my oil... I was lucky that I noticed the pool of oil when I was backing out of the garage... it had not leaked enough for the stupid light to go on, but enough to ruin the engine...

Walmart did the stripping... and when they told me about it I just mentioned that they had done the last 5 oil changes on the vehicle and since this is the first time they have mentioned it they must have done it the previous time I was there.... they decided to fix the problem and not charge me....
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:14 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I would never do the dealer recommended xx mile service. It includes all kinds of things that are not needed. Just do what the manufacturer recommends and call it a day.
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It wasn't a complete list, it was just what the service rep could think of off the top of his head. When I took the car in today with 100K miles, I had summarized everything I expected to be done - based on the major services at 30K, 60K, and 90K (that I had consciously not had done at those intervals) from the manufacturers owners manual. We reviewed the list and they confirmed all of it would be done for $595.

And like others here, I was a passable shade tree mechanic in the 70's. I rebuilt carbs, replaced brake pads/rotors, water pumps, starters and all the trivial stuff. But there's nowhere near as much I'd even consider doing myself on a modern day car, even more so with two hybrids.
Gotcha. To answer your specific question, I would guess most customers at the dealership getting service would let them just do the scheduled service without asking for a detailed itemized description of all maintenance tasks that would take place. I suppose they would have some idea ("they're fixing car thingy's under the hood"), but beyond that, car knowledge seems pretty minimal among the general populace I've overheard at the dealership.

Once upon a time, I just wanted my almost new cars to be perfectly maintained. I would take them to the dealer and ask for the 30k maintenance service (or whatever was due). It was usually $250-300 or so (back in the early 2000's). I knew what the service manual suggested, but I never really inquired about what was being done specifically. And I am (was?) an engineer and attorney and not particularly wealthy.

Eventually I realized I needed to pay closer attention to what's required to maintain a car and how cars work in general. So I read "Auto repair for dummies" or something like that and started my car maintenance spreadsheet where I keep track of all routine maintenance and non-routine replacements and repairs. I would guess I'm an oddity in that regard and most people don't take such an intentional approach to auto maintenance or learning about auto maintenance. Just like most people don't spend much time learning about FIRE, investing, taxes, etc.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
+1 Has happened to me a few times...............
Me, too. Once oil was way overfilled and second time, two gaskets on oil filter and spraying oil all over.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
I would never do the dealer recommended xx mile service. It includes all kinds of things that are not needed. Just do what the manufacturer recommends and call it a day.
Agreed, we've never done what dealer service recommends, in fact I consciously do less than even the manufacturer recommends (still padded IME). That's why at 100K miles I went for a little more - since I skipped most everything the manufacturer recommended at 30K, 60K and 90K...

It's clear most here (at least those who posted) are more conscious. OTOH judging by my local dealers inability to list the specific items included in complete service, most of the general populace doesn't know or care. Too bad.

In all fairness to my local fav dealer, now that I have the car back, they did everything I asked (all based on what I read in the manual) and no more, and no frivolous add-ons. They even deducted $ for one item they could not do...

Again, I was just very surprised that they weren't even prepared to list what was included in their service package.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #37
Gone but not forgotten

No , I would not pay $595 without a list and then I would take the list home & go over it with my SO and also check my maintenance book. Dealers are notorious upsellers especially to women in Florida .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I bring my vehicles to our local dealers - two different brands, hence two different dealers - but I am happy with but also skeptical of each dealer - for every other oil change and free annual state inspections. They inevitably do a multi-point inspection and think this or that should be replaced. I have a local guy who does my other oil changes and I usually ask him to check the vehicle out.

If they both mention that a particular repair needs to be made, then I figure it needs to be done and I have the local guy do it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike143 View Post
Any place that tries to sell you nitrogen in your tires is look out for their best interest in all matters.
Correct, my tires work just fine with 80% nitrogen, 100% isn't needed.
jimbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
Correct, my tires work just fine with 80% nitrogen, 100% isn't needed.
Good one, I only run 78% myself...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg air-composition-pie-chart2.jpg (93.0 KB, 5 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote