Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Sometimes rebuilding consists of spray painting with black paint. Depends on the "rebuilder".
So far, rebuilds that I've seen have no new paint, but clean, shiny metal and new little rubber booties!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
The quality on some of those aftermarket starters and other items can be poor. They may last a year or two but don't expect them to last like the original equipment.

I had a very bad experience with power steering pumps for one of my old cars. I'd spend a Saturday putting in the aftermarket power steering pump only to have it go out a week later. The auto parts store (Pep Boys) would cheerfully order me a new one each time. And each time I had the exact same experience.

After three new "rebuilt" after-market power steering pumps and 3 Saturdays wasted I got really tired of their after-market junk. So I went on down to the salvage yard and bought a used one (Original Equipment) out of a crashed car for half the price. I put that one in and it lasted as long as I owned the car.

I worked with someone else that had a similar experience with starters. So sometimes what you save on parts you pay back with interest in labor.
I've come to consider Pep Boys and Autozone to be places to purchase oil and filters...not repair parts unless they are brand new name brand. I don't think AZ sells any name brand parts these days. The folks that work at these places often default to only offering the cheapest part available even if there is a higher quality option. There are good rebuilt parts available but it's nearly impossible to tell the good stuff from the junk. It's no skin off Pep Boys knuckles to take your failed item back and grab another one off the shelf.

There's really no standard for what constitutes "Rebuilt" and the only metric I know of is warranty and reputation of the seller/rebuilder, but sometimes a better warranty is just insurance (e.g. "five bucks")

Old 10-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #23

Just thought I'd give a quick update: DW had to go to another job doing a brake inspection at Midas (different location than 1st one). I found that I need to do my rear brakes (118k miles, still on OEM original shoes), which I knew. But no mention of a faulty battery or starter (I never mentioned it to this place) or a loose wheel bearing. This location seemed more upfront and honest about the work needed. So far, no problems from my starter or solenoid since that 1 time. Could it have been a 1 time thing? Only time will tell.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
....... Could it have been a 1 time thing? ...........

Oh sure............
Old 11-27-2010, 07:10 PM   #25

Just thought I'd give an update on my starter issue, it's been over 1.5 months since the problem surfaced and has never happened since. Turns out I casually mentioned the car to my brother and asked if I would sell it and he said a friend of his really needed a good used car. We never put it up for sale. The Kelly Blue Book(KBB) private sale fair value was $2965, so the friend came over today for a test drive and offered me $2900. Weird thing is I rechecked the KBB value again and it went up to $3000....it's increasing in value over the last few days? As for the starter, it's been below freezing multiple times in the last 2-3 weeks here, lo teens just the other day, and starter/battery were working just fine.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #26

Did you sell?