Join Early Retirement Today

Automated Copyright Infringement Detection
Old 12-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Automated Copyright Infringement Detection

Today I uploaded a 1-minute video to YouTube. It was something I'd made for my sister, and it included a recording of "Not for all the Rice in China" sung by Wesla Whitfield.

YouTube was able to detect that it was a licensed song or recording, and blocked viewing of the video in the U.S. They have a database of "audio fingerprints" which they run through to detect copyright infringement.

Technically, they were right, and I'm not complaining. It just blows my mind that they are able to accomplish this. Kind of an automated Big Brother.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. You can find almost anything under the sun posted there from Concerts and the like so there must be some way for posters to get authorization.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

They did that to one of mine. If you redo it, they are likely to let it pass. I posted our hoopdance recital videos and that's what happened.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. I was fascinated by the iPhone app - '"Shizam", which can identify a song by just hearing a short clip of it. The intent was, you hear it, identify it so you can buy it. So now they are applying this for copyright enforcement - pretty clever.

It has to identify the original recording against the same recording. It can't recognize a band playing a cover of a song as the original. It would have a different 'fingerprint'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shazam_(service)

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

It is amazing what the automated system will do.

The problem is that fair use allows up to 30 second snippets, and the automated system flags stuff that really is legal. Good luck finding a human to actually sympathize with your or change it.
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Oh, and I use Audacity tool to cut and mix songs for our performances and it is more difficult for the software to recognize the digital signature because it is essentially a new recording.

I love that Shazam--I have it on my Blackberry.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
YouTube was able to detect that it was a licensed song or recording, and blocked viewing of the video in the U.S. They have a database of "audio fingerprints" which they run through to detect copyright infringement.
Sort of like what might have happened if "Ghostbusters" was run through it today and discovered it sounded suspiciously like a previous Huey Lewis tune...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder how it identifies the song, like if you slowed it down or sped it up 2 clicks would it still recognize it?

I like to take tunes that have some good energy and speed them up for my exercise mix, wonder if it would recognize it as the same song?
igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy View Post
I wonder how it identifies the song, like if you slowed it down or sped it up 2 clicks would it still recognize it?

I like to take tunes that have some good energy and speed them up for my exercise mix, wonder if it would recognize it as the same song?
I got curious, googling came up with this article. He does a really good job of digging into the tech in a readable way. Some pretty funny comments, too.

Fun with YouTube's Audio Content ID System

Drop to the end for a summary.

-ERD50
Old 12-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Technically, they were right, and I'm not complaining. It just blows my mind that they are able to accomplish this. Kind of an automated Big Brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I love that Shazam--I have it on my Blackberry.
When our kid started high school, an occasional teacher used to play "Stop the Music" for extra credit with '60s or '70s songs. We enjoyed hearing the occasional teen gripe "What's the deal about this 'Stairway to Heaven' stuff anyway?!?"

Two years later the "Stop the Music" had stopped. Too many students were subtly turning on their Shazam-equipped smartphones and nailing the answers within 20 seconds...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy View Post

I've read that if you change the tempo or pitch by > 5% it no longer detects it.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:02 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've read that if you change the tempo or pitch by > 5% it no longer detects it.
Yes, that was in the summary in the link I posted earlier. Although, I feel that violates the 'spirit' of the copyright laws, so use your own judgement on that.

-ERD50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

Fun with YouTube's Audio Content ID System

Drop to the end for a summary.

-ERD50