Join Early Retirement Today

Automatic countdowns to early retirement?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Automatic countdowns to early retirement?

I installed this little app on my iTouch a few months ago that has one purpose: to count down the days until some future date. Of course, the reason I did that was to track how many days I actually had left before sayonara.

I'm not sure whether doing that is such a great idea, as a) I check it daily, and b) it makes me a little antsy/impatient.

Anyone else have this experience?

p.s. the app is free and called Big Day Lite. I have no complaints about it, just my frequent use of it!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Administrator

About ten years ago I wrote a routine in Excel to do that for me (if I input the days left in the month), and I checked it every morning starting at around 2600 or so (give or take a couple of hundred days).
The number of days was output in big red numbers, like this: 365

I liked doing it. I didn't think it made me impatient at all. But, as they say on the internet, YMMV

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Seems natural to me to want to know how many days are remaining until the big event. Take Advent calendars for example.

Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I installed this little app on my iTouch a few months ago that has one purpose: to count down the days until some future date. Of course, the reason I did that was to track how many days I actually had left before sayonara.
I put task/reminders in Outlook at work to tell me when I hit 100, 75, 50, 25 work days left. I'm at presently about 60 work days left. I wouldn't want to see it daily, too much of a distraction, YMMV.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #5

My Excel timesheet at work counts to 62, and to 66,4. I get a nice readout in days, weeks, and years. I'm getting the iphone app mentioned. Should really impress the younger set.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #6

I used Big Day Lite to countdown the days until I finished school last year. Talk about checking it every day!!!!
I like using all sorts of countdowns, usually to fun stuff like festivals. But my Big Day Lite one for the end of school was more like an obsession.

Sarah in SC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #7

I had a big countdown, but some bad market years kind of made it not work out for me. Maybe I'll have to start a new one, since my old one expired with me still not FIRE.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Seems natural to me to want to know how many days are remaining until the big event. Take Advent calendars for example.
Good point. I'd be getting antsy whether I had a countdown app or not. So I'll go ahead and keep checking it.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a application on my computer that clicks down the time in months, days, hours and seconds, along with a countdown clock on my actual desk counting down in days, hours, and minutes. Then if I'm not at work, I can look at my countdown clock at home, or the countdown app on my Droid phone.

Think I'm a little excited about retiring in 512 days, 14 hours, 13 minutes, and 16.2 seconds?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestion. I just installed Big Day Lite on the i-Pad. Maybe it will replace the yellow sticky note that I have in my mega-corp cube.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #11

I just noticed that Big Day Lite keeps counting after the big day is reached. Except the little label on the digits changes from "Days Until..." to "Days Since...". So I guess it goes from a countdown to a countup app! Perfect for obssessive types who are curious about how many days they've been retired - any of those around here? ;-)

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use Excel's "days-left" function to tell me how many work days (M-F) are left. It lets you input holidays, vacations, etc. for a true reading.

Truthfully, though, I tend to count-down by the month. Months are not all the same! Months containing holidays and vacation go so much faster, as do months ending in something dreaded, such as dental work.

Amethyst
Old 10-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
So I guess it goes from a countdown to a countup app! Perfect for obssessive types who are curious about how many days they've been retired - any of those around here? ;-)
That sounds like running up the score after the buzzer has sounded.

Counting down the days seems pretty attractive when you're chained to your cubicle furniture.

Counting up the days after you're released? I'd rather be enjoying them than tallying them. When my obituary goes to print, my descendants can calculate the final number for their own amusement.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote