Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
But sports continues to be the problem. Little access to the Chicago teams either OTA or streaming. I would drop Comcast if I could get the local sports majors from another less expensive source. OTA and free streaming would do it for the rest of my TV watching.
Yeah, almost all the sports have migrated off the free OTA stations and on to cable. In terms of watching a few of these games (not that many) in a month, depending on your tolerance for that sort of thing and how frequent/infrequent it may be, occasionally heading to a sports bar in the area to watch a game when you are in the mood might actually be more cost effective than paying $50-100 a month for a cable package just to occasionally watch sports on TV.

I do suspect that more sports teams will start offering per-game streaming in the next few years.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Sorry but you are gonna have to pony up, and continue to pay for cable. You can get out of market packages through NBA, MLB and NHL (NFL only on Direct) on internet but not the locals. There are always websites that are constantly up and down that pirate this stuff for free, but many of low quality though and constantly getting blocked.
So far, that's my conclusion too.

Bidding sports out of the hands of the networks, which would likely make the games available OTA as they were years ago, was a very smart move on the part of the major cable providers. At least it keeps me paying my bill. The minimum package to have access to local major sports costs me about $70/mo and I just hate paying that bill. We do watch some other cable-only programming from time to time. But it's sports that keeps me hooked.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #43

Quote:
Bidding sports out of the hands of the networks, which would likely make the games available OTA as they were years ago, was a very smart move on the part of the major cable providers. At least it keeps me paying my bill. The minimum package to have access to local major sports costs me about $70/mo and I just hate paying that bill. We do watch some other cable-only programming from time to time. But it's sports that keeps me hooked.
Yes, Comcast (AKA Comcrap) is doing this aggressively. They are trying to get a strangehold on RSNs in a few markets and then seeking unreasonable terms for other competing cable and satellite providers so they can be the only game in town for offering certain sports teams. I know Houston in fighting that battle with CSN Houston, and Philly has had some issues as well. The next effect is that almost no one other than Comcast carries CSN Houston. Which right now is just as well because the Astros are pretty unwatchable...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 07-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yeah, almost all the sports have migrated off the free OTA stations and on to cable. In terms of watching a few of these games (not that many) in a month, depending on your tolerance for that sort of thing and how frequent/infrequent it may be, occasionally heading to a sports bar in the area to watch a game when you are in the mood might actually be more cost effective than paying $50-100 a month for a cable package just to occasionally watch sports on TV.

I do suspect that more sports teams will start offering per-game streaming in the next few years.
Well....... If I go over to the Tilted Kilt to watch a Bears game on a Sunday afternoon, it's generally a $25 - $30 trip. Say 3 pints, a snack, a tip....... and there ya go. Of course I suppose there is some value associated with the micro-kilts worn by the healthy young ladies doing the serving.

With baseball and basketball, I'm a casual watcher for most games. I'm almost always doing something else at the same time. I might have the volume down and be listening to music and reading the paper or doing FireCalc runs. If things get exciting, and I notice, I pay more attention.

Hockey has been a lot of fun with the Blackhawks the past few years and although I walk away from the set from time to time, generally pay attention to the games. But if I'm not around for games, it's no big deal unless it's playoffs.

I do watch most Bear games (despite their frustrating play lately) and make an effort to either be in front of the set at game time or have the recorder set.

Anyway....... paying whatever it takes to win the sports contracts seems to have been a smart move on the part of the cable companies. It's keeping their hand in my wallet and I'm hardly a fanatic.

Maybe the hook is that sports is talked about everywhere. You're in the car listening to the radio and the news comes on. Sure enough, they cover the outcomes of the recent games. Watching the news on TV or reading the paper......... ? Lots of sports coverage. Even my home page on the computer blasts me with sports scores and highlights. To have all that going on and not be able to tune into a game you want to watch would bug me.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #45

Quote:
Well....... If I go over to the Tilted Kilt to watch a Bears game on a Sunday afternoon, it's generally a $25 - $30 trip. Say 3 pints, a snack, a tip....... and there ya go.
Of course, except for the Monday Night games on ESPN, the NFL is still on free TV (unless you want to watch out of market games, but in Chicagoland I assume the Bears are always on as long as they sell out at home). The day the NFL goes to ESPN or some other premium cable entity is the day you see a real cataclysmic shift.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Of course, except for the Monday Night games on ESPN, the NFL is still on free TV (unless you want to watch out of market games, but in Chicagoland I assume the Bears are always on as long as they sell out at home). The day the NFL goes to ESPN or some other premium cable entity is the day you see a real cataclysmic shift.
Yep, the Bears are still on free TV for most games. I think the cable companies, esp Comcrap, have been able to meet their objective without incurring the expense of winning the NFL broadcast contracts.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
....In any event, we have DSL here (sort of), piggybacking by repeaters from the church office next door.
Interesting. We have DSL as well and video seems to work fine (we use Amazon Prime right now and occasionally Hulu)- it buffers every once in a while, but it would be fine for our needs so if we could get our locals OTA or via the internet then I could cut the cord.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Aja, I have the 3.0 through AT&T and it worked ok on Netflix on my iPad, but it would hang up occasionally. I personally would not cut my cable to use that speed as my sole
viewing platform on a tv though.
Thanks, I'll stick with what we have until Uverse comes in (I hope).
Old 07-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

While I view only a few programs, they are scattered all over the dial [I'm showing my age]. As a FSU hoops fan, I have to search several channels to find my beloved Noles. We do have Dish, and have always liked the service. My DW is a TV junkie and keeps the DVR full of stuff you couldn't pay me to watch. If the CIA really want to torture those folks down in GITMO, just tune in to the Lifetime Movie Channel. If they know anything, they will be talking.

I do have the DVR set to record all new Doctor Who episodes, F1 racing, The Daily Show With John Stewart, and the Mclaughlin Group. Most everything else I can do without. Until basketball season.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

We use Twonky (free) on an Iphone or Android to stream content from those devices to tv, including movies or Youtube content. Plenty of Iphone & Android apps to turn your handheld device into a WiFi remote that often works better than the infrared remote.

On the Roku 3 the gal likes News Look and NBC News, and in Plex if you find and open PlexGrid you can find Brian Williams and Nightline and a massive amount of other full length, no advertising content.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:31 AM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a pretty technical person, but still have concluded that a DVR is far enough superior in user experience to recording to a computer, and far enough superior to streaming, to be worth the cost of both the service to feed the DVR and the DVR itself (though I purchase my own DVR and use CableCARDs instead of renting a DVR - it pays for itself in four years).
Old 07-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #52

I'm also in the "95% of the stuff I watch is sports" so I'm stuck with cable for a while. I suspect that if a "sports only" package was ever offered on Pay TV it would be at a higher cost than regular cable service.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I get what people mean about how a la carte would probably be more expensive than packages, especially for those of us who watch sports. But someone had a good comment about this when I googled the topic. Music used to be like this. You had to buy an entire album or CD to get the 1 or 2 songs you like on many albums. Now you can pay for and download just the songs you want, and you can almost always buy at least half the album individually for less than the entire album package.

So why did this happen? Did the demand for music a la carte make it happen, or was it technology and piracy, where Napster or just borrowing a friend's CD to rip an mp3 or two cut into album sales? Finally the music people realized that selling individual songs was better than selling nothing at all.

Will the same thing happen with TV? There are a lot of free streaming sites, but they can be unreliable, plus they are illegal. It's tough to enforce though, and the providers and networks have to focus on not letting people advertise on public forums. I'm on a couple of sports forums where the mods delete any posts advertising free streaming because they have apparently been threatened by companies like ESPN and Cox. Eventually though, I see things changing, and even though ESPN may find only 25% or whatever the number of current subscribers will pay for the sports package, they will also get new subscribers who would pay a reasonable price for just sports.

If not, while I love watching sports, at some point I just won't pay. They can't keep raising the price on a decreasing number of watchers. Eventually they need to stop paying exorbitant prices for the rights to broadcast games, and in turn teams will stop paying nine figure multiyear contracts to players.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
... an app that enables 24/7 live streaming of network owned WLS -Ch. 7 on a tablet, smart-phone or other mobile device.
This will be the first time a major TV station will offer its full 24/7 programming schedule in Chicago. ABC, in Philadelphia and New York began doing this in May.
I thought that in order to use this service you also had to be a cable or satellite subscriber already receiving the local stations that way? So no free lunch.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I thought that in order to use this service you also had to be a cable or satellite subscriber already receiving the local stations that way? So no free lunch.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
This is the case where I live. Unless you already get the channel through your cable/satellite provider, you cannot watch the live stream via the apps.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes, Comcast (AKA Comcrap) is doing this aggressively. They are trying to get a strangehold on RSNs in a few markets and then seeking unreasonable terms for other competing cable and satellite providers so they can be the only game in town for offering certain sports teams. I know Houston in fighting that battle with CSN Houston, and Philly has had some issues as well. The next effect is that almost no one other than Comcast carries CSN Houston. Which right now is just as well because the Astros are pretty unwatchable...
I'm very glad not to have been jilted by Comcast as of yet. Also very glad I carry no interest in sports whatsoever! I don't know who else I'd turn to.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not only are they unwatchable, they change players as frequently as most people change underwear. I can go to a local pub to watch them, but even the pub doesn't care about putting the game up: they will put on the Texans or the Yankees if available.

Our company has season tickets (reserved boxes behind home plate) for Astro's home games and we can't even give the tickets away, let alone take clients to the games.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #58
Confused about dryer sheets

I live outside Boston and subscribed / installed Aereo ( http://aereo.com/i/yTV11F ) this past weekend and it works great. ~30 of the over the air channels with DVR capability for $8 a month. This combined with with Netflix and Amazon Prime gives me more than I need. Will be cutting Comcast next month. Unfortunately I still having to buy Internet from them but will still save ~$35 a month. Right now Aereo is only in NYC and Boston but is scheduled to roll out to a bunch more cities between now and end of year.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I dropped Comcast in January and went with the free channels and Netflix. I did fine with that combo for the most part, but I wasn't totally cut off from cable. I spent a lot of time at my mom's house looking after her so I watched a few of my favorite cable shows there. Plus I could catch a game not offered on free TV there.

Now that my mom is gone, I have been busy working on 2 houses getting them ready to sell. So I am back using Comcast for now and dropped Netflix. Not sure I could ever totally get away from cable due to sports I like to watch. But will probably sign up for Netflix again when I have more free time. So much for saving money.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong.
The article is now available on the TRIBUNE here:

Local TV is going mobile with 24/7 streaming - Chicago Tribune

Quote:
While streaming video has been around for years, ABC-7 is the first Chicago TV station to offer its full programming schedule network and local live on mobile devices. ABC, which launched the effort in May in New York and Philadelphia, plans to stream all eight of its owned-and-operated stations by fall. Affiliated stations are also coming online, with Hearst Television bringing Watch ABC to 13 markets in the coming months.

"We have this technology, we have this approach and it doesn't hurt to put it out there and test it and show people what the possible future of television will look like," said Albert Cheng, executive vice president and chief product officer of digital media at Disney/ABC Television Group.
You decide... looked to me as if it will be available to all.
.................................................. ............................................
I mentioned Pegleg as a source for UTube movies. It takes a while to load, but the listing covers more than 800 movies. As far as I can see, most seem to be legal, though some of the movies were loaded from other countries, like Italy, and while the sound is in English, there are Italian subtitles.