Join Early Retirement Today

awkward online auction situation
Old 12-11-2016, 09:04 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

awkward online auction situation

Last month I bought a pendant and necklace heavily discounted from a major box. It wasn't expensive, but it was 78% off.

I decided to donate it to an auction being held by a person LD who rescues cats. I kept the jewelry in my possession and was going to mail it to the winning bidder.

The auction goes live and when it ended LD's daughter ended up being the highest bidder. The daughter didn't even bid with her own Facebook username. LD bid on behalf of LD's daughter.

Supposedly the daughter should have paid LD the winning bid, but I have no way of knowing that.

I was Paypal'd the money for the shipping $3.

I do realize that since I had donated the jewelry technically it wasn't mine any longer, but I do not like what happened.

How do I prevent this from happening in the future?
I did not say anything this time, but the whole point of my donating the jewelry was to get money for the rescue effort not for someone to end up with something they liked essentially for free.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
If you suspect LD is doing something unethical, maybe you should support a different animal rescue group.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:36 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I did not say anything this time, but the whole point of my donating the jewelry was to get money for the rescue effort not for someone to end up with something they liked essentially for free.
Essentially, you're in exactly the same situation as anyone who donates to LD's group--you have no way of knowing if LD is using the money to help cats, or if the money is being used by LD for his own purposes (incl to directly purchase gifts for his daughter, etc). You just have a little bit more insight because of the "irregularities" with the Facebook IDs, a normal donor wouldn't have seen this.
The best way to avoid a problem in the future is to give to a different group that helps animals, maybe one with some external independent auditing.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Seems to me they were up front with the bidding by using their own true ID to bid. Just because they run the charity doesn't mean they don't have their own money to spend.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:58 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If you suspect LD is doing something unethical, maybe you should support a different animal rescue group.
+1

Also, "charitable" organizations run by scumbags seem rampant these days. I think that unfortunately, anyone planning to give to a charitable organization has a lot of investigating to do first. It's sad.

F and I were talking about a similar issue just yesterday, concerning scumbags that set up churches and fleece their church members. Around here this is becoming more common than not. We are not religious, but if we were we'd sure be cautious before joining and giving money to any sort of unknown church.

Makes me miss the simpler, less complicated times of the past.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Do the proceeds from the auction go directly to the person who rescues the cats? If so, I don't think you'll ever know if the bid for your item was actually paid by that person, to himself. Even less lkely imo is that the daughter paid the parent for it. Can you donate food or litter instead of participating in the auction, next time?
Old 12-11-2016, 10:57 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Even more, how do you know LD actually rescues cats in the first place? Facebook user names? That right there would have stopped me cold.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:01 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

If you have a charity, you can't donate to yourself. So if the charity is a 501c3, what they did is illegal.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:17 AM   #9

If it is just a person who rescues cats informally and not a legal organization with board of directors then just take it for what it is. Be sure NOT to take a tax deduction for this because a charitable donation in this case would not be allowable.

If you wish to continue to support LD consider donating cat food. Less potential for misunderstandings this way
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Wow,lots of accusations flying here. For all we know, LD really liked the jewelry, and paid the bid amount to the account used for cat rescues. As was pointed out, the bid was above board and not hidden with an alias of some sort.

broadway, I think it is within your right to ask LD, in a non-confrontational way, how this was handled, and asking for proof is not out of line. If LD just has an informal setup, you have learned perhaps not to donate to that type of person/organization. If it's legit, you'll feel better about your donation and LD.

If someone else had bought the jewelry, how would you know that the money actual went to cat rescuing rather than in LD's pocket? You're putting a certain amount of faith in LD either way. There's nothing about LD buying it that screams Scam to me.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:36 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I am also one who is not going to get on LDs case....

Maybe the bids were really low... and LDs daughter thought that it was a good deal for her...

The question I would have is where was it auctioned If it were with only friends of the cat rescue place, then there might have not been enough eyes on the product.... I would want them to auction on EBay or some other large site with many eyes....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
If you have a charity, you can't donate to yourself. So if the charity is a 501c3, what they did is illegal.

If you set up a charity as a 501c3, then you are not donating to yourself, you are donating to the 501c3...

I would like to see why you say what they are doing is illegal....
Old 12-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
If you set up a charity as a 501c3, then you are not donating to yourself, you are donating to the 501c3...

I would like to see why you say what they are doing is illegal....
Because my wife started a 501C3 and we know the rules.
You could potentially donate to the charity, get the tax break and yet still have access to funds.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Huh?
Old 12-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Huh?
Think about it. You might eventually get it.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:00 PM   #16

I'm stupid; what's an LD?
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Local Distribution?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:09 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Because my wife started a 501C3 and we know the rules.
You could potentially donate to the charity, get the tax break and yet still have access to funds.
I also asked for where you see that.... just saying it is because you know the rules is not authoritative...

I agree that it can be a conflict, but that in and of itself does not make it illegal....

I have looked and cannot find any reference to what you say... there is a lot about disclosing conflicts, but I do not see where they say you cannot donate to one you created...
Old 12-11-2016, 11:30 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post

Loose Diaphragm?
Old 12-12-2016, 05:37 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I also asked for where you see that.... just saying it is because you know the rules is not authoritative...

I agree that it can be a conflict, but that in and of itself does not make it illegal....

I have looked and cannot find any reference to what you say... there is a lot about disclosing conflicts, but I do not see where they say you cannot donate to one you created...
IRS guidelines for "incidental benefits".