Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Baby and small dog containment
Old 12-23-2005, 09:41 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Baby and small dog containment

Last summer I was looking for a way to keep my (then) six month old within the confines of our outdoor patio. I was going to fence it off for about a grand, but then I found this cool product called a "superyard". It comes in two forms, a six panel and a two panel 'extension'. Whether you buy it in six or two panels is irrelevent, each panel can be separated or joined so three 'extensions' can be linked to make a 'superyard xt'. I got a great deal on the two panel version and bought eight of those.

Once linked, each joint can bend on a ratcheting mechanism that takes some force to overcome (or you can push down on the joint with about 30lbs of force and move it smoothly. You can shape it to suit the area to be contained, or join the ends and make a big play yard. As long as you make a few "L"s in it or zig zag it deeply enough, its fairly stable.

For storage, you can fold the thing down completely flat, each panel is ~30x30 and a little over an inch thick, so my 16 panel, 40 foot deal flattens out to about 18" thick.

After using it with no problems on the patio, this winter we took it in the house and used it to fence off the big screen, christmas tree, and the kitchen area from the rest of the house. My in-laws have a bunch of those little bug eyed rat dogs, and an RV they travel in all the time. When they saw this, they bought about the same amount and deploy it around the entrance to the rv, taping the ends to the side of the rv. That lets them leave the rv doors open for the dogs to come and go and prevents other peoples dogs, kids and whatnot from running through their area.

Really innovative and easy product to use to solve 'containment' problems.

Yesterday, my little 11 month old monkey showed me a new trick though. He can climb up the panels by holding onto the top rail and sticking his big toes through the holes, but so far hadnt come close to 'going over'. Yesterday he hiked up, reached over the gate to a railing thats about a foot taller than the gate, and pulled himself up and over and dropped back down to his feet on the other side.

I should have known by the monkey feet...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Baby and small dog containment
Old 12-23-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

() I'm always amazed at how kids can find away around something meant to keep them from harm.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
Yesterday, my little 11 month old monkey showed me a new trick though. He can climb up the panels by holding onto the top rail and sticking his big toes through the holes, but so far hadnt come close to 'going over'. Yesterday he hiked up, reached over the gate to a railing thats about a foot taller than the gate, and pulled himself up and over and dropped back down to his feet on the other side.
Amazing coincidence that you bring up this subject.

Late yesterday, my 18-month old grandson found a way to climb on something and get his hand up to kitchen counter top height. He pulled a pan of very hot liquid off the counter top, spilling it all over himself. This led to a very exciting ride in an EMS ambulance during rush hour, with me arriving just as they pulled away from the house and trying to follow them to the ER.

RANT: If you are in heavy traffic and see/hear an ambulance with lights/siren GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY!!!

He is currently in a pediatric burn unit with 2nd degree burns on 30% of his body, primarily his arms and chest. For those of you not familiar with the specifics of a 2nd degree burn, that's when the top layer or two of skin blisters and peels off. 2nd degree is more painful than 3rd degree burns (but not less damaging) since 3rd degree also destroys the nerve endings in the skin and therefore "hurts" less. Doctors are using something called "bio-med" wrap on his arms. We are not sure yet about scarring or other potential long-term effects, but I know the recovery will be more painful and much longer in duration than any little kid deserves it to be. We aren't sure when he will get to go home, but it looks like Christmas will be quite a bit different for our family this year than planned.

Also, beyond the nasty burns to that little guy, there are other wounds. My "mister mom" SIL, who was watching his little one and cooking dinner, is beating himself up severely for not preventing the accident. His wounds are all internal, and they are severe.

My point here is simple: TH, and anyone else out there with very small children, please understand just how dangerous the climbing and curiosity genes can be, especially when combined.

Old 12-23-2005, 05:46 PM   #4

REWahoo,

I also have a Grand Child about 18 months old. I hear your pain and I hope things go well.

I always fear that I'll be alone with her and she'll get hurt some how. The guilt would be too much for me.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:41 PM   #5

REW

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandson. How terrible. I hope he heals well; you're right...it only takes an instant.

Unfortunately, we humans do make mistakes and accidents happen. I feel for your SIL also.

TH, those walls sound pretty cool. My oldest was a climber....scary stuff.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:47 PM   #6

Sorry about your grand kiddo REW.* I suspect the worst thing about this will be that the healing period is so dang slow and the little ones are a good bit less patient than older folks.* Hope your SIL understands you can be the best parent in the world and still nothing is 100%.* That's painfully proven day in and day out.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:31 PM   #7

I am so sorry to hear about your grandchild. What a horrible thing for everyone.
It does happen so quickly. You always have to have your guard up with small children and at times it is still not enough!

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:07 AM   #8

ReWahoo:

Just noticed your post re: Grandson.

Poor little guy.

As all parents with small children understand, they are curious, and fast at that age.

Your SIL is in a tough place. I don't envy him.

They are doing some fantastic work in "burn units" nowadays, and hopefully they'll get the little guy patched up.

Hang in there, as no doubt, this will be a very different Holiday Season for all of you.

Regards, Jarhead

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 01:24 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

ReWahoo,

I had missed this thread. My heart goes out to you, I really hope your grandson will be fine, and that his hurting will be not too bad.

Poor guy!

Ha
Old 12-24-2005, 04:59 AM   #10

REW, My heart goes out to you, your family and your grandson. Children are fast and in the blink of an eye things like this happen, it's no ones fault. I pray for a speedy and full recovery and take heart that children that age heal incredibly fast and he'll probably never remember the incident.

Carolyn

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 06:29 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

REW, are you bringing Christmas to the hospital? Hope both you grandson and son in law are doing better.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 07:35 AM   #12

REWahoo,
Hope all is well with your grandson. That's terrible news and illustrates the necessity of watching kids closely because they are so fast. I hope recovery is fast and complete. Tell SIL there are no guarantees and no fault is indicated. Bad stuff does happen to good people, occasionally.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 07:51 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

REW - I'm very sorry to hear about your grandson. This is the stuff my worst nightmares are full of.

I put a larger temporary gate on the kitchen, and have my eyes on a 42" high permanent non-climbable one. To date he's not allowed in the kitchen at all unless he's strapped in his highchair, and thats going to continue for some time.

Hopefully this presses folks to find better solutions for containing their little ones.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 08:45 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Add my voice to the chorus, REW; may the recovery be swift and complete for all!!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 02:37 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Wishing your grandson a speedy recovery, REW. Poor little fellow!

When my daughter was about two, I found her in the kitchen making a big pile of books and magazines in front of the stove. I asked her what on earth she was doing?

"I'm making a BIG pile of books, then I'm gonna to climb on it, get on the counter, then I'm gonna get into the medicine cabinet and get ALL of the vitamins!" she lisped in a happy tone.

Needless to say the medicine and ALL of the vitamins were whisked away to a safer location immediately. My daughter at that age was both bright and fearless, and never hesitated to act on any "good" idea she had.
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 02:49 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

My sincere thanks to all of you who expressed your concern and well-wishes. I am very happy to report that youngest grandson was released from the hospital this afternoon and is now home with his two older brothers eagerly awaiting the arrival of Santa tonight. His burns look like heck, gauze bandages wrapping both arms, his chest and lower face the color of crisp bacon. But he is in great spirits, running around the house and bugging his big brothers. It is truly amazing how quickly the young can bounce back from life-threatening injuries.

His dad is doing pretty well, no doubt as a result of how much the little guy has improved. But when a neighbor came over to see how the grandson was doing, I could see my son-in-law’s guilt return as he once again described how the accident happened. I suppose both dad and the little guy will heal over time.

Getting that little guy home was my Christmas present. I hope all of you get something really nice, but I've got to tell you my gift is going to be hard to beat.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:10 PM   #17

I'm so happy to hear that he is home. That's great news.
Enjoy your Holiday with your family.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 06:35 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I am very happy to report that youngest grandson was released from the hospital this afternoon and is now home with his two older brothers eagerly awaiting the arrival of Santa tonight.* His burns look like heck, gauze bandages wrapping both arms, his chest and lower face the color of crisp bacon.* But he is in great spirits, running around the house and bugging his big brothers.* It is truly amazing how quickly the young can bounce back from life-threatening injuries.*
Great news ReWahoo! Your little guy has the right stuff for sure.

Ha
Old 12-24-2005, 09:20 PM   #19

That put a smile on my face! Congratulations on a great Christmas present. Life is good!

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 09:38 PM   #20

That's good news, hope you have a great Christmas with your family.