Join Early Retirement Today

Baby Boomers - Greatest Victims
Old 02-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Baby Boomers - Greatest Victims

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/bu...l?ref=business
Quote:
These Americans in their 50s and early 60s — those near retirement age who do not yet have access to Medicare and Social Security — have lost the most earnings power of any age group, with their household incomes 10 percent below what they made when the recovery began three years ago, according to Sentier Research, a data analysis company.
Quote:
New research suggests that they may die sooner, because their health, income security and mental well-being were battered by recession at a crucial time in their lives.
Agree?

Is the danger a result of not LBYM? or a loss of income in the peak earning years? Since the beginning of time, the economy has always been subject to ups and downs, but it seems that the current uncertainty is causing more stress than usual, with less surety of a solid recovery.

... or something else?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The good news for Boomers is that most of them are old enough that they will probably be spared the brunt of SS and Medicare reform.

The bad news is that many of them had the plug pulled on them in terms of pensions, a lousy job market and rampant age discrimination -- at an age where it's too late to really recover from those things. And that SS and Medicare, even if they still get grandfathered into the current deal, won't be enough.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bloomers had good opportunities growing up. Dirt cheap college tuition, low housing prices and booming domestic economy in the 80s and 90s. Yes there is rampant age discrimination but I'm not so sure that it's any different than in the early 80s when I got hired in. And this talk about ones 401K getting hit by the stock market crash is simply an excuse to hide the fact that one failed to fund their 401k and/or kept taking out loans. The simple truth is that the average 401K was small even before the crash and most folks didn't have all their money in stocks. That said I do have sympathy for those laid off and unable to find another job. There are not too many good options if you're in that situation.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Makes me realize how bad things could have been. Rather than resenting what anyone may or may not have, I feel so bad for all, no matter what their age, whose hopes and dreams are dashed. I know, that is so corny but that is how I feel about the article.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have a couple of friends who got laid off and couldn't get comparable jobs for years. Pair that with kids in college and you are facing a major setback, LBYM or not. DW and I view ourselves as fortunate to have missed blows like that. Preparations and approach count heavily but sh** happens.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #6

It's been said that the boomers spent their parents retirement and their children's inheritance.

I think that's a bit harsh, but not without some truth to it. Expanding on Ziggy's point, its the generation(s) after them that will bear the brunt of the fiscal excesses for which the boomers were/are the primary beneficiary.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Looks like this is turning into another 'generational warfare' thread.

I smell bacon.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #8

So much depends on luck. Anyone sidelined by severe health issues at a young age isn't going to be able to save enough no matter how frugal their lifestyle.

Granted many have squandered their opportunities (some relatives come to mind) but (thinking of other relatives) many didn't have those opportunities in the first place.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One thing is for sure - As long as the stressed populations in our society are willing to point fingers at each other or resent each other or ..., the winners in this society can rest peacefully at night in the knowledge that they will remain the winners.

[Mod Edit]
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Timely article. Good, good friend, a single mom, just got caught in a company-wide layoff at age 61 1/2. Kid about to go to college. New (refinanced to 30 year) mortgage. Planned to work until age 66 or, at most, 65. Will try to find a needed job.

As for me, I have "the pension" but no longer feel secure about future earning power of my kid. So today's project is to rethink allocations under the "new" scenario that will be to maximize kid inheritance. No longer plan any draw-down of assets to fund fun stuff in years ahead.

Kind of think of it as the "duty" (well mine, given our circumstances) to the next generation of a baby-boomer fortunate enough through simple plain almost random luck to have ended up with a decent pension just enough to maintain pre-retirement, but not extravagant post-retirement lots-of-free-time lifestyle.
EveryLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

I smell bacon.

Mmmmmm.... bacon!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

IBTL
NotMyFault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

I smell bacon.
I hope you're going to share.

The bottom line is that probably every generation can point to *something* in terms of demographics, the economy and government programs that will feel like they are getting the worst of it. Doesn't matter whether we are talking about Boomers, Gen X or the Millennial generation -- in some ways, depending on the issue and the outlook, each of them is getting a pretty raw deal somewhere.

In reality, addressing the problems effectively and fairly requires that we resist the urge to adopt an "us versus them" mindset. That mindset has been polarizing and paralyzing inside the Beltway for years now.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 02-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

The bottom line is that probably every generation can point to *something* in terms of demographics, the economy and government programs that will feel like they are getting the worst of it. Doesn't matter whether we are talking about Boomers, Gen X or the Millennial generation -- in some ways, depending on the issue and the outlook, each of them is getting a pretty raw deal somewhere.

In reality, addressing the problems effectively and fairly requires that we resist the urge to adopt an "us versus them" mindset. That mindset has been polarizing and paralyzing inside the Beltway for years now.
I agree completely Zig. And I'd like to additionally point out the analytical mistake involved with characterizing the population into distinct groups. For example, I'm at the leading edge of the so-called "boomers." When I look at economic and social conditions over my life, they seem very different than for folks born at the trailing end of the so-called "boomer" generation. Yet we're all slapped with the same label.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I hope you're going to share.

Agreed.

But with posts like this, none of us are going to get any bacon...
Old 02-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #16

Generalizing about the behavior of a group ~ 76 million people always seemed absurd to me, but scapegoating sets a low bar.

Next up are millenials, just because again, the population is so large, it's like a high tide.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #17

Generalizing about groups is very useful, its difficult to imagine social sciences without some sort of generalization about groups.

Of course trying to infer anything about specific individuals based on group generalizations would be absurd, but I don't think that is what the article is doing, nor any poster in this thread.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-nyc View Post
Of course trying to infer anything about specific individuals based on group generalizations would be absurd, but I don't think that is what the article is doing, nor any poster in this thread.
Yet at the same time, these generalizations can be -- and often are -- used as ammunition in "generational warfare" over public policy.

We as a society are increasingly used to "us versus them" and looking at all public policy debates as zero-sum games, where there have to be clear winners and losers. I don't think that bodes well for actually addressing the fiscal and demographic issues we face in a way that is respectful and reasonably fair across generations (and other demographic groups).

Generalizations can be useful when they are used to foster problem-solving and seeking solutions, not scapegoating or engaging in "us versus them" rhetoric.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #19

Sure, but I didn't sense anything of the kind in the Times piece. In fact, very little in the piece is really specific to any named generation.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Timely article. Good, good friend, a single mom, just got caught in a company-wide layoff at age 61 1/2. Kid about to go to college. New (refinanced to 30 year) mortgage. Planned to work until age 66 or, at most, 65. Will try to find a needed job.
I obviously don't know the specific circumstances of your friend but it seems to me that taking out a 30 yr loan when you are over 60 is not good planning for the future retirement. Who wants a mortgage during retirement?