Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2014, 05:57 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
One of DW's nieces is due to have a baby in about six weeks, and there is a baby shower for her next week. Normally very sensible and frugal, DW and her sister have gone berserk. Emotions rule, reason and logic have ceased to exist in their universe. If it is "For The Baby" it is deemed Good. I suggest everyone buy stock in Babies R Us. DW and her sister are doing their best to make sure it goes up.
Chuckle - reminds me of a Seinfeld episode.

-gausss

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 06:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontworry View Post
I can't speak for all women but I will say I lose all sense of reason when it comes to babies (and weddings too).
This is good to know that it is pretty much universal. It is kind of fun to watch DW having a good time with it all and like Michael said we've been married long enough that I know when it is best to just say "yes dear" and get out of the way.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Here are the gifts your baby REALLY wants:

1. A substance free uterus to grow and develop in
2. To be breastfed for as long as possible
3. A safe environment (includes a clean bottom)
4. Most importantly......your love.

And that is all.
I'll take 2 thru 4 in my old age and be a happy camper.

Congrats on the baby.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

This woman goes ga-ga over kittens and puppies, not babies.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanbenito1 View Post

Me too!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Dogs and puppies for me, too. If one shows up at work, I am front and center (down on the floor) engaging with it. Babies? If I know the parent/grandparent, I dredge up a polite compliment if they bring it around.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanbenito1 View Post
Baby cats and baby dogs are certainly ah-inspiring too
Old 02-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Women can get wacky and opinionated with this one too. A couple of my wife's friends vocally chose to wean their kids at six months so their boobs didn't sag as much. A couple of my kids peers chose to wean themselves just after a year and their moms were upset about it. The mom in my kids peer circle that was still breastfeeding her five and a half year old in public creeped me out, but I had heard her condescendingly lecture other mothers about the benefits. My wife chose to wean our kids over a couple months after they turned two. It wasn't a big deal announced to the world, just a family choice.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Babymania

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrak View Post
Women can get wacky and opinionated with this one too. A couple of my wife's friends vocally chose to wean their kids at six months so their boobs didn't sag as much. A couple of my kids peers chose to wean themselves just after a year and their moms were upset about it. The mom in my kids peer circle that was still breastfeeding her five and a half year old in public creeped me out, but I had heard her condescendingly lecture other mothers about the benefits. My wife chose to wean our kids over a couple months after they turned two. It wasn't a big deal announced to the world, just a family choice.

Good for you and DW! Toddler breastfeeding creeps me out too. At the other extreme, as a baby doctor, I saw far too many mothers who never tried at all, or made a half hearted effort and gave up within a couple of days. It was heartbreaking to look after tiny vulnerable preterm babies whose mothers could not or did not produce milk for them, only to see them develop severe and sometimes fatal illnesses such as Necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC), which could have been prevented with breastfeeding. The general public may not be aware, but the human milk industry is ramping up.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Baby cats and baby dogs are certainly ah-inspiring too
Oh yes!! Any baby creature brings out the and seems so incredibly cute to me. My beloved F is smart because he often cautions me not to enter a pet store (since he knows I don't want the responsibility of a pet, and also knows the appeal of kittens and puppies).

But for me, baby humans are even more special because they are little bundles of mind boggling potential - - wow, the future any one of them might have or create for the world, the accomplishments that may lie ahead. And each one is so different. Plus, they have the "cute factor" +1000. Truly amazing little sweetie-pies.

This thread reminds me of Seinfeld, "Ya gotta see the BAY-BEE!"

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #31

Baby rabies. Oh, yeah, I've seen that. Scary as hell.
Fortunately I'm in that blissful age range at the moment where there are few babies. But my penchant for befriending millennials means it is inevitable another round of the rabies is due sometime soon.
I've never wanted to hold babies, make small talk about them, or select from a wall of pacifiers a present for them.
And DON'T GET ME STARTED on toddler breastfeeding. Gross-out city.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here are the gifts your baby REALLY wants:

1. A substance free uterus to grow and develop in
3. A safe environment (includes a clean bottom)
4. Most importantly......your love.

And that is all.

Gee Doc with an attitude and advice like that the US baby industry is going to put a hit out you.. . It sounds pretty logical to me though...
Old 02-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Gee Doc with an attitude and advice like that the US baby industry is going to put a hit out you.. . It sounds pretty logical to me though...
Wouldn't be useful. I don't live or work in the US. And you would probably hear a similar list from any US based neonatologist.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Mule View Post
Dogs and puppies for me, too. If one shows up at work, I am front and center (down on the floor) engaging with it. Babies? If I know the parent/grandparent, I dredge up a polite compliment if they bring it around.
+1

To borrow DH's phrase, "Now, THAT'S a baby!"

Very few babies really engage me, but I always figured I am lacking the Mother Bone and something must be missing from my make-up.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:53 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Of course you all know the "awwww!" response is simply a biological response that evolved in humanoids to diminish the chances othat adults would abandon dependent offspring.

Y'all knew that, didn't y'all?

😛💓
Old 02-04-2014, 04:27 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Of course you all know the "awwww!" response is simply a biological response that evolved in humanoids to diminish the chances othat adults would abandon dependent offspring.

Y'all knew that, didn't y'all?

😛💓

Makes sense!!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:50 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
As a single guy who's hoping to get married and have kids someday (and who's never shopped for baby stuff), all I can do is look stunned at that with my mouth gaping open. Heaven help me if/when I become a dad and have to buy baby stuff!
Let me give you some advice, you are to buy only what you are TOLD to buy. Make your DW give you very specific instructions. Then, if possible, buy the wrong thing. That way you will never be sent out again. Everyone will be much happier.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:58 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Let me give you some advice, you are to buy only what you are TOLD to buy. Make your DW give you very specific instructions. Then, if possible, buy the wrong thing. That way you will never be sent out again. Everyone will be much happier.
This reminds me of the time when my Mom insisted that I was going to help wash dinner dishes (which I hated with a passion) when my sisters complained. After I dropped and broke three or four of them I was assigned only outside chores like taking out the trash, lawn mowing, leaf raking, etc. so I wouldn't break anything. That was fine with me.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:26 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Excellent advice !!!!!
Old 02-04-2014, 08:20 AM   #40

I think baby showers are the female equivalent of a super bowl party