Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I think baby showers are the female equivalent of a super bowl party
Nope, not even close. They are held in the daytime and don't serve nearly enough alcohol to be able to tolerate the amount of oohing and aahing that is required.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:13 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Nope, not even close. They are held in the daytime and don't serve nearly enough alcohol to be able to tolerate the amount of oohing and aahing that is required.
+1

In addition, they are mostly forgotten the next day or so. Baby showers are the opening lines of the Neverending Story...

Old 02-04-2014, 09:28 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

As a 56 year old retired school teacher....I used to get damn near shot at school for saying this.....but babies are evil. Just kidding of course.....kind of. I've never had an urge to raise kids. I didn't get married until I was 49.....and to a lady with 4 kids. Youngest was 16 so I avoided the "baby" issues. I don't get the "I need a baby" syndrome of most people. I would like to think I was wise enough to know I didn't want one, and wasn't about to have one to see if I did or not. I caught hell from the family though.....the Hicks line ends with me.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
So are you trying to deny the level of excitement isn't equivalent
Old 02-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
So are you trying to deny the level of excitement isn't equivalent
Admittedly, this past Superbowl was about as exciting as the average baby shower.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I was completely oblivious to babymania until I had my own. I couldn't believe the number of people who insisted on coming over to my house to see my newborn (men and women equally). I love my DD more than anything, but I don't get the craziness over someone else's baby.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausfrau View Post
I was completely oblivious to babymania until I had my own. I couldn't believe the number of people who insisted on coming over to my house to see my newborn (men and women equally). I love my DD more than anything, but I don't get the craziness over someone else's baby.
We are a product of a million+ years of evolution in small mostly kin-based social groups. In these circumstances other clan members' babies as well as your own represented the survival of the group, not some supposed brats down the street that you wish you didn't know.

I am all for babies, and I love to see responsible looking moms and dads pushing carriages or waking to the park with toddlers. My children and my grandchildren are dearest to me, but all babies bring an automatic smile. I have never been to a baby shower, and I wouldn't want to as I would feel that I was crashing a long lived and important maternity ritual.

Ha
Old 02-04-2014, 03:02 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Babymania

I never heard of this before (but then I never heard of a push present or a "sip and see" gathering until three years ago), but recently someone told me all newborn babies initially look more like the father so that the father will know the baby is his and therefore bond more. I have a hard time believing that, otherwise all those Jerry Springer are-you-the-father shows would not be necessary.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Sip and see.....I had never heard of this till I saw your post, BWE, so I looked it up. I like this idea better than a baby shower, which always gave me the creeps, because bad things sometimes happen in labor. Don"t count chickens till they are hatched, I maintain!
Old 02-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #50

I also had to look it up. The "sip and see" is how they do it in many parts of South America, often while the mother is still in the maternity ward. In Venezuela they call it "tomar unos meados", which in any other context would be inappropriate, but in this context can be used in (mostly) polite company.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I never heard of this before (but then I never heard of a push present or a "sip and see" gathering until three years ago), but recently someone told me all newborn babies initially look more like the father so that the father will know the baby is his and therefore bond more. I have a hard time believing that, otherwise all those Jerry Springer are-you-the-father shows would not be necessary.
I must lack the software for this level of recognition. Newborn and young babies never look like anyone in particular as far as I can tell. It seems that they need to be several months old before I can discern a likeness to the parent or other relatives.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
We are a product of a million+ years of evolution in small mostly kin-based social groups. In these circumstances other clan members' babies as well as your own represented the survival of the group, not some supposed brats down the street that you wish you didn't know.

Ha
True, I guess I didn't think of it that way. I totally expected my mother, MIL, etc. to go ga-ga over the baby (which they did), but I never expected a couple of DH's blue-collar co-workers to want to stop by. It was kind of sweet.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #53

Quote:
I have never been to a female baby shower. But our little group of home brewers held one last week for the son of one our group members. Held at night and we had more than enough alcohol. Everyone brought a package of diapers for the father to be. There was a lot of oohing and aahing going on - but only over the taste of the peanut butter porter or other concoctions.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #54

Best baby shower I went to was for a friend who was adopting from China. Lots of booze - even for the expecting mom. LOL. Dad's were there too.

Most baby showers are boring.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I'm a reformed baby doctor. I've been to two or three baby showers, and I found them totally cringeworthy.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #56

I guess that I had a traditional baby shower for my first child and a Sip and See for my second child, although I had to look up Sip and See myself. My baby shower was at work after the work day was done for my son and he was born the next morning. I had my daughter 10 1/2 yrs later and it was supposed to be at work also, but she came early, so my friend who lived next door, had a Sip and See and I brought my daughter.

I have been to baby showers where I had a lot of fun and I have also been to ones that were extremely boring. Just depends on the people who were there. Same thing applies to other types of parties, dinners etc.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Babymania

Even though I love babies, I am not too in love with the "baby shower". I have a huge extended family and we always do some kind of "craft" for the baby (ugh). We also play games which are not always fun. One of the recent ones I attended was pretty competitive. We had a relay blind-folded diaper changing contest (with dolls . Such fun!

I should add...my three babies (now 9, 11, 12) came to me from Guatemala thru adoption. My oldest was the youngest homecoming at seven months. My family waited to have the shower until after he came home. I treasure the pictures from that day!!! Oh how cute my chubby little guy was!
Old 02-04-2014, 08:17 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Our first daughter came premature at 6+ months. We did not know it was going to be a girl. Our other siblings (wife's and mine) had a string of boy babies and ours was the first girl. We were not ready for the early birth and had not picked out a name.

So at the hospital, we made a decision to name our daughter after both grandmothers as they had no granddaughters as of yet. So we named her Angela Rose (Angela after my mother and Rose after DW's mother)

Boy you should have seen the gift giving after we pulled that off!
Old 02-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Aja...love your daughter's name! I gotta quit reading this baby thread or I might find myself wanting another one...that might put a damper on our early retirement plans
Old 02-05-2014, 06:39 AM   #60

Really? It does not take much to creep you out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

Toddler breastfeeding creeps me out too.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote