Join Early Retirement Today

Babymania
Old 02-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #1

Babymania

One of DW's nieces is due to have a baby in about six weeks, and there is a baby shower for her next week. Normally very sensible and frugal, DW and her sister have gone berserk. Emotions rule, reason and logic have ceased to exist in their universe. If it is "For The Baby" it is deemed Good. I suggest everyone buy stock in Babies R Us. DW and her sister are doing their best to make sure it goes up.

Perhaps I'm missing something but AFAIK babies don't care about any of this. They're pretty simple - keep 'em warm, fed, dry and cuddled and they're happy.

Does this happen to everyone else too?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
One of DW's nieces is due to have a baby in about six weeks, and there is a baby shower for her next week. Normally very sensible and frugal, DW and her sister have gone berserk. Emotions rule, reason and logic have ceased to exist in their universe. If it is "For The Baby" it is deemed Good. I suggest everyone buy stock in Babies R Us. DW and her sister are doing their best to make sure it goes up.

Perhaps I'm missing something but AFAIK babies don't care about any of this. They're pretty simple - keep 'em warm, fed, dry and cuddled and they're happy.

Does this happen to everyone else too?
Aye. The shower is like an avalanche. It's going to happen, you can't stop it, it you try you'll just get buried, so best stay completely out of the way. It's a great opportunity to see a film that doesn't interest DW. That, and "yes dear".
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Too funny!
aim-high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't speak for all women but I will say I lose all sense of reason when it comes to babies (and weddings too). My youngest brother is getting married in October and I am beyond excited for the wedding and the babies (hopefully) to follow. There's just something about those tiny, precious, totally dependent human beings that makes me go googoogaagaa. I think you should just sit back and watch the show. And I agree with "Yes dear".
dontworry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think it is human nature to dote on one's own offspring. The level of doting depends on the person. Doting on other people's offspring is optional.

I like babies and will fuss over them (those tiny hands! Those bright eyes! Look, he/she is smiling at me!), until they start to wail, at which time I exit the room as fast as possible.

I find weddings tres boring, though.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontworry View Post
I can't speak for all women but I will say I lose all sense of reason when it comes to babies
Well, you can speak for me because I, too, lose all sense of reason when it comes to babies! It must be some sort of hormonal thing among some women, including me. My daughter (now 35), had so many toys in her room when a baby that it was, well, completely insane. And I bought almost all of her toys. I also covered an entire wall with photos of her before the age of one, because she was so adorable with those little hands and endearing smiles!

I can't even SEE a baby at a restaurant, for example, without saying "Oh, your baby is so cute! Simply adorable!" or some such thing, to the parents. That is probably obnoxious because I do that even when I don't know them. Just can't help myself.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, much like funerals are for the living who are left behind, baby showers and lavish stuff for Baby and such are for parents and onlookers. In some areas there's a lot of social pressure to show how much you "love" your baby by spending ungodly amounts of money on the baby.

Though in this day and age, I suppose a lot of the stuff that's given to Baby is recorded on video so they can see how much they were "loved" with stuff when they are older.

We don't have any of our own, but my wife usually knits something for the couples we know who are expecting or recently had a baby.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have a grand child whom I love dearly. However, when the child first arrived I was left feeling like an ignorant fool by the various questions women would ask me about the child. Birthday, gender, weight and height were not enough. I had to know the birth time, color of eyes, hair color, skin tone, who the child looked like (?), why the particular name, and other things I can't even think of now. Men were happy with date, name and size

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
... Birthday, gender, weight and height were not enough. I had to know the birth time, color of eyes, hair color, skin tone, who the child looked like (?), why the particular name, and other things I can't even think of now. Men were happy with date, name and size
Juts make 'em up. It's fun, and who's gonna know?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Yep its happening here too. Our niece is having a baby girl in April, yet DW's shopping has already begun
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:35 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
.... I suggest everyone buy stock in Babies R Us. DW and her sister are doing their best to make sure it goes up.

Here is the pacifier department at the baby store, including special pacifier sterilizing machines, pacifier wipes, and hundreds of different pacifiers to choose from. Baby doesn't care but heaven help the person who buys the wrong pacifier (I know this for a fact )

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1391283272.205608.jpg
Old 02-01-2014, 01:36 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

I went gaga when my grandchildren were born . Babies r us should send my daughter a thank you because I am sure I helped their sales that year . Now toys r us gets my money .There is something about babies especially grandchildren that melt your heart and open your wallet .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:33 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Just say "ya that really is cute" a lot. Oh wow and it was even on sale you did great honey. Much happier relationship. Oh ya I'm a guy and a sucker for babies too. I think they are great.

Sent from my HTC One using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Turboslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Here is the pacifier department at the baby store, including special pacifier sterilizing machines, pacifier wipes, and hundreds of different pacifiers to choose from. Baby doesn't care but heaven help the person who buys the wrong pacifier (I know this for a fact )
As a single guy who's hoping to get married and have kids someday (and who's never shopped for baby stuff), all I can do is look stunned at that with my mouth gaping open. Heaven help me if/when I become a dad and have to buy baby stuff!
Old 02-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I seem to live in a different world.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:04 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Babymania

Here are the gifts your baby REALLY wants:

1. A substance free uterus to grow and develop in
2. To be breastfed for as long as possible
3. A safe environment (includes a clean bottom)
4. Most importantly......your love.

And that is all.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Amongst the childfree, this phenomenon is known as "Baby Rabies."

"My sister totally has baby rabies..." (ie: gets glassy eyed and starts foaming at the mouth at the sight of adorable babies)

I've never been afflicted, but the side effects are few, and it's duration is temporary.
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #18

I have always loved babies and I absolutely adore my granddaughter. I do not feel like I go overboard on spending money on her though. I do buy her things, but I am still pretty frugal. We just bought her a DVD that she wants for Valentine's Day, but it was only $12.96. We have spent more money on experiences with her, such as Disneyland, flying to CA when she lived there and getting her and flying back to take her to Ocracoke Island NC for vacation with us and then flying her back home, taking her to Idlewild Amusement Park and paying for swimming lessons and gymnastics for her. We have her on Thursday nights (her parent's date night) and we love playing board games and card games with her also. I agree that love is the most important thing that you can give to babies and children!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

When my kids were babies in all honesty a snap on ones-ie was all I had time to dress them in. Keep it simple and keep them clean was my motto.

Now grand children, DIFFERENT STORY!
Old 02-01-2014, 11:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontworry View Post
I can't speak for all women but I will say I lose all sense of reason when it comes to babies (and weddings too). My youngest brother is getting married in October and I am beyond excited for the wedding and the babies (hopefully) to follow. There's just something about those tiny, precious, totally dependent human beings that makes me go googoogaagaa. I think you should just sit back and watch the show. And I agree with "Yes dear".
Thank you for sharing this.

All of the sentiments you express here are completely alien to me, almost bizarre. But it helps me to understand the opposite sex better and I respect your sentiments.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote