Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Back From Burning Man
Old 09-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Back From Burning Man

Our second visit, our first burn was 2007. Seemed to be a few more older folks than last time, maybe it is on their bucket list. Absolutely worth doing if you like art, really free expression and can stand heat & dust (not much of those this year, but it can happen).
The first pic is DW & I at 'The Man', the second is the temple and the third is the line for coffee, looks like any Starbucks
A couple good youtube sites for BM information & images

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050136.jpg (602.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg P1050138.jpg (580.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01083.jpg (641.7 KB, 16 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Very very cool! I would love to go sometime--def on my bucket list but I need to be a much better hooper before I go.
What was your highlight from this trip?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #3

Highlights? There is so much to like there. The largest collection of art cars on the planet, BM is to art what Woodstock is to music. And the music is good too. The amazing thing for me is the gifting. Very hard for me to get used to (an Economist subscriber for 30 years) it is not even barter. One fellow has a popcorn stand and just hands out popcorn, there was a home brewed across the street that had many, many gallons to share, pancakes, ice cream and endless open bars. The playa at night is magic, with vehicles seeming to float around. Interesting lectures, yoga classes, massages and more. Don't know where to start. Every little thing is a miracle.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

wow, far out dude... definitely on my list as well.
heyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The young singer from our band was there this year, and loved it.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Def on my bucket list. Perhaps after DH retires **sigh**
Old 09-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Fascinating. I'd like to hear more about it, if you are willing. The gifting is fascinating to me as well, as a student of behavioral finance. I am involved with some (for want of a better word) "hippie folks" around town through hooping, and it really is a window for someone like me, who sees stuff in such a b/w fiscal fashion where there is a $ sign on everything.
Really interesting! What about performance art? Best you saw?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #8

Sarah, I do find Burning Man an interesting place. IMHO it has three aspects: one is a hippie/frat party, its most common reputation; another is a major art event (I think is is really thee biggest/best art event in the country) and the other is the spiritual/consciousness aspect which includes the gifting, yoga & meditation sessions, serious environmental concerns and the classes, lectures and music. From the behavioral finance area there was a lecture by Dan Ariely who wrote Predictably Irrational Predictably Irrational I was able to talk to him for a while in a private conversation. I have seen his book reviewed on the VG Bogelheads site. There were lectures by professors of geology, hypnotherapists and more than I could find on lists, everything to do with the mind & consciousness. I find it impossible to figure out even 10% of what is going on at any time, only the main events are scheduled ahead of time and published, there are spontaneous events all over the place all the time. I missed my favorite musician, Scott Huckaby SCOTT HUCKABAY WEBSITE , in the main tent but later came across him in a side tent where he put on a two hour concert to maybe 40 people.
Another reference that you may find of interest: The Truth About Burning Man Jay Michaelson: The Truth About Burning Man
Old 09-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Loved the Jay Michaelson article. Very helpful. It would take a lot for someone of my practicality to be able to let go there. I hope that my own journey takes me there when I am ready to experience it, yakers.

Growing up the goal-centered logical person that I have, it is very interesting to at mid-life (sorta) work on ways to startle myself out of the comfort zone and just take people and places as they are, without the trappings of real-life.

If I make it to Burning Man, it will represent significant progress on my part of letting go of the "well, how's he going to make a living doing that?" part of my personality.

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
a lecture by Dan Ariely who wrote Predictably Irrational
Economics lectures are not what I would have expected.

Great summary -- I have a better understanding now. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Economics lectures are not what I would have expected.

Great summary -- I have a better understanding now. Thanks.
I would love to hear an econimics lecture at Burning Man- especially one deliverd by a 25 year old model like Jael. The dismal science no more.

No links, out of respect for the easily offended and quick to report. I figure if the board can't deal with Angela Merkel and Willy Brandt naked, what might happen if we should espy Jael?

Ha