Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-13-2014, 07:16 AM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I backup photo's to One drive and ICloud but use USB devices to backup personal files. Don't want Kim jong un to see my new screen plays.
+1, these backup services seem to me to be a treasure throve for those super hackers
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2014, 07:20 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Bits and bytes hoarding does not cost much anymore,
I'll say... Seagate to sell 8TB HDD for $260 - AfterDawn
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:22 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use ibackup. It is not an apple thing, and I am not overly computer literate. My 'computer guy' said the IT people favor it, so he set it up, and my hard drive fried from a lightning hit 2 years later, and *poof* - after I bought a new computer, he did his thing and it was like having the same computer. I don't know which cloud service backup is better, but as long as they do what they are supposed to do, I highly recommend it. It also is good in case of fire or theft, etc.
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love Time Machine on the Mac. It's painless and is easy enough to use that my relatives actually use it - they've lost important data in the past and I've been the one to help them try to recover data. Such fun!

I also have another drive (3TB!) that spends most of it's time in a safe deposit box. Every month or two I pick it up, attach it to my and DWs Macs, let it do its thing, then return it to the bank.

I'm OK with losing a week or two of changes in the rare case of fire or theft, but would hate to lose the old photos and other files I have accumulated.

I've toyed with the idea of cloud backup. I like the idea, but don't like the monthly cost (I'm on a (often losing) personal campaign to minimize monthly charges. (Yes, I know the SDB is a monthly change (maybe annual :-) ), but we use it to store quite a few important items besides just backups. And then there is the privacy issue.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:10 PM   #25

File History that comes with Windows 8 seems to work pretty good although I haven't had a need to do a major restore yet. Just need to connect an external HD (USB or network) and turn File History on. It does take a long time (several hours for me) to backup the first time but once that's done the backup of any changes goes quick. It also keeps file versions so you can go back and retrieve different versions of the same file if needed.

I also like to do an image backup of my laptop a couple times a year, I just use the Windows 8.1 imaging feature that's part of File History.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #26

I use Mozy. Carbonite is good as well.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

Crashplan is a good choice for cloud backup.
Blooming Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:02 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Like some others here, we don't use the cloud. I had all our pics on OneDrive, but I took them back off after about six months, access was too slow.

Conceptually the cloud is ideal, but it's still just a remote hard drive that can be hacked despite security claims. All indications are hacking and phishing (another easy way in) will get worse before it gets better IMO, and hackers are being discovered long after they hack in if at all. Who believes all hackers have been caught? No matter how cautious you are, another cloud user might be manipulated into giving access, exposing your data. Many of the services mentioned above have been hacked to some extent. Why would I pay for such a service?

So I just use File History to backup to a WD external HD. I am sure there are more robust plans, but it's been more than adequate for us.

If the cloud ever becomes truly secure, I'll probably gladly backup there. Again, it's an outstanding concept.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
+1, these backup services seem to me to be a treasure throve for those super hackers
There's no reason to believe that the risk a typical cloud backup user faces is any greater than the risk a typical home on premises backup user faces. There is a lot of "fear, uncertainty, and doubt" thrown around with regard to this issue, but when you go looking for the data to back up claims about the risk, the claims don't hold water.

Reflexively, the more your home backup setup resembles that of cloud backup services, the most likely it is that you'll face less risk than the cloud backup services: Do you lock your computer in a separate room with higher security than a typical home is secured, or lock the computer in a cage cemented into the foundation? How strong is your firewall?

What about passwords for online services? Are they all 32 characters with numbers and symbols? You could be securing the backups, but what good is that if you're leaving the source data too easily obtainable? The risk people incur from doing business online makes the risk of using a cloud backup service look like noise.

Then there are the interim data risks: Do you run a nightly backup and take the backup media to a remote location daily? If you only do it weekly or monthly you have a lot more risk to data recently updated or generated as compared to instant backup to the cloud. The reality is that most home users don't make computer backup a part of their daily life. It is a chore that they fit in when they can and care to, and that's simply not enough consistency to make it less risky than cloud backup.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:37 AM   #30

Mozy and Carbonite are both good and I use one. As others have mentioned, they automatically accomplish the two critical parts of data backup: 1) Automating the process of copying data and 2) getting it offsite.

You can choose to let them store your encryption key (the default) or, if you are concerned about hackers or their employees stealing data, you can choose to manage your own key. If you choose the latter and lose your key, your data in the cloud becomes inaccessible. So you have to make sure you keep an offsite backup (backups, more likely) of your key.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:28 AM   #31

From all of the huge storage needs many folks are reporting, I feel like I must be missing something important that I need to backup. For backup of all files/photos that I care to keep, I use thumb drives and have yet to exceed an 8GB stick. I do keep copies of everything on both computers (MacBook Air and Mac Mini).
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
From all of the huge storage needs many folks are reporting, I feel like I must be missing something important that I need to backup. For backup of all files/photos that I care to keep, I use thumb drives and have yet to exceed an 8GB stick. I do keep copies of everything on both computers (MacBook Air and Mac Mini).
Me too..We have a lot of old photos in albums that no one ever sees (or cares to..maybe someday?). All the digital files we have and are earmarked as important are stored on a USB connected remote hard drive and I think there are a few Gigs on that drive, tops.

I guess a lot of people who have massive amounts of photos in storage have a photography business or some other reason to have 10's of thousands of photos.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #33

Although I do have tons of media files, sadly I find it easier to save everything than to sort through and discard stuff I don't need.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I have a weekly backup plan that I actually execute. Plan ... execute.

I do have some minor concerns about unlikely events (1) burglary, (2) fire.

Most of my key Excel files are strong password protected. I can identify the key data folders that are under 2GB so that I can use a free service like Spideroak. I'm thinking of doing this. Anyone used Spideroak or another good, free cloud storage service?

Link to Spideroak: https://spideroak.com/features/
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

What about keeping a backup drive in a fireproof safe? Does those get too hot to protect the drive? I'm lazy enough about getting the drive out of my safe to do regular backups. If I keep one in a safe deposit box I'm afraid I'd rarely get around to swapping them.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:36 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
Just got a new PC with Win 8.1 and wonder how best to back up my computer? Still trying to get used to the 8.1 interface.

Win 8.1 comes with One Drive (don't remember the capacity), does anybody use One Drive to back up their computer? How about other cloud services and costs?

My wife uses iCloud to back up her iphone and ipad and it is costing her $1/month.
My new PC arrived this week. Haven't had a chance to boot it up, but I will probably use the Windows 7 option for now. Personally, I wouldn't use any of the services, but understand why many do. Once you get the options straight, your backups go off according to plan. For most people this solution is fine. What happens is that over time you accumulate more than can fit into the free option, and will have to pay for more space.

What I consider is the number of ways the data can be lost. In my office it can be corrupted, destroyed, or stolen.

In a small business office the number of hands that can get at your data increases to a concerning level.

When you upload your data to an unseen data center, the number of attack vectors is huge.

I'm not familiar with the details of cloud backup companies, but what level of protection do they offer? For instance, if your data leaks out, do they insure for the damages?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Guessing the answer might be "It depends" I read the specs on my Sentry safe and it says
ETL Verified 1/2-hour fire protection for CDs, DVDs, USB drives and memory sticks up to 1550°F

It's also got a waterproof seal to protect against water damage.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
What about keeping a backup drive in a fireproof safe? Does those get too hot to protect the drive? I'm lazy enough about getting the drive out of my safe to do regular backups. If I keep one in a safe deposit box I'm afraid I'd rarely get around to swapping them.
Depends on the safe, they're not all the same. The ratings are based on max temp and a stated duration, here's some general info from UL with more detail in link, and you can Google for still more.

When I was researching before buying our safe, while safe can save your valuable and documents, there's no safe that will guarantee their safety in all fires/durations.

UL Fire and Impact Ratings : SafetyFile - FireProof Safe, Fireking Files, FireKing Safes, Data Safes, Media Safes, Fire Resistant Lateral and Vertical files, Fire King Storage Cabinets, Insulated Files, Securall Flammable Storage Cabinets, Burglary R
Quote:
Underwriters Laboratories uses three different listings* to evaluate records protection equipment:
1. Class 350-rated files and safes protect paper products
2. Class 150-rated files and media safes protect magnetic tapes and photographic film
3. Class 125-rated files and data safes protect flexible computer disks

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #39
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
There's no reason to believe that the risk a typical cloud backup user faces is any greater than the risk a typical home on premises backup user faces. There is a lot of "fear, uncertainty, and doubt" thrown around with regard to this issue, but when you go looking for the data to back up claims about the risk, the claims don't hold water.
I am much more concerned about my personal data being compromised on some other entities data repository than on my own home system and backup approach , and your comments still do not convince me otherwise.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I am much more concerned about my personal data being compromised on some other entities data repository than on my own home system and backup approach , and your comments still do not convince me otherwise.
+1 Maybe someday, but anytime soon.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote