Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

8 fun ways to destroy a hard drive - How To Destroy A Hard Drive - 8 Fun Ways

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We actually run two different backup drives at home, and often have a third stored in the bank safety deposit box.

They aren't identical - more like alternating. But it would make it easy enough if one drive failed, or something happened to the house, or whatever.

The one in the bank tends to be behind. But we usually put an updated one in there when we go on a trip.

Time Machine makes it really easy to maintain multiple backup drives.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

On the question of what to do with the failed drive -
I am the curious type. I need to explore for the cause of the failure. On the last two drives it was a malfunction of the actuator arm. After fiddling with them a little I was able to get 2-3 final boot-ups. Enough to recover any data. A third drive had a bad solder joint that I was able to fix and put the drive back into service.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #24
Administrator

I have had hard drive failures all too often in life and find they are so tedious.

I do almost all my computing on my laptop computer. I back up my laptop to my portable external hard drive, and for redundancy, I also copy these backups to the hard drive of my desktop computer.

I don't use my desktop for much at all other than storing backups.

The flaw in my system is that I back up when I think about it, instead of on a schedule. When my last laptop bit the dust in spectacular fashion, last October, my most recent back up was..... er..... February. Oh well. I managed to find the best of my lost photos online, and I also managed to e-mail my all important retirement/financial excel sheet to myself as the last act of that laptop during its final dying croaks.

Somehow, a fried computer just isn't as upsetting to me now as it was a couple of decades back. Don't know if I am getting more mellow, or if my hard drive contents are becoming less individual and interesting than in the past.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg croak.jpg (12.9 KB, 57 views)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Check out Mozy or Carbonite cloud-based back up. It can be used instead of or in addition to the "second storage drive" method a lot of previous posts mention. A nice bonus of these over the second drive method is if you are mobile, it's one less thing to carry or worry about.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

The disk spaces available nowadays on some hard drives are unbelievably large at 3 or 4 TB. I wonder who has that many files to back up, and what a disaster it will be to have a hard drive with that much data failed.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Drives are cheap. Use multiple.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
I apologize if this was too cryptic, it was intended as a lighthearted seque into 'how will you destroy the old hard drive'
We knew you were kidding. My technique would be the old sledge hammer. Lets the aggressive streak out a bit.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Regarding cross-pollination with respect to viruses such as Cryptolocker, that potential risk exists with any file or media server arrangement that can be accessed by multiple clients. Cryptolocker scrambles a shared network drive that is accessible to an infected PC, just like any file on that PC.

The way to reduce that risk is to limit access rights to "read only" by the client PCs, and to allow only one PC to update the media files. That way, your children's or wife's PCs cannot zap the music files or photos that you have carefully archived.

Of course, the directory where you store finance records should not even be permitted access by just any client on the network.

About WHS using "Single Instance Storage" to backup common Windows system files from client PCs, it does not cross-link files just because they have the same name. The files must compare bit-by-bit before they are stored as a single file. So, WHS will not spread a virus-infected file from one PC to another. And these backup files are only accessible to WHS and not any client PC. And WHS itself needs anti-virus protection.

On top of that, I still maintain duplicate backups on a stand-alone 1TB media server, and yet my main desktop PC with 2TB storage. The WHS PC, the stand-alone media server, and the big PC are linked with wired 1Gb Ethernet for transfer speed. And I still have another older 1TB Buffalo server with built-in RAID capability.

But I still have to remember to put a backup on my 1TB USB drive and take it out of the house for fire protection. Put it in the motorhome, perhaps?
Old 12-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #30

My Mac backs up automatically to a 2tb Wd external drive through time machine. Just had to move my photos off the Mac to the external because of memory issues. I'm racking up about 500 mb a day in new raw photo files. I need to develop a backup for these in case the external goes down. I plan on copying them to my old external drive until I run out of space on the old drive. And then maybe store it in the bank safety deposit box.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
We knew you were kidding. My technique would be the old sledge hammer. Lets the aggressive streak out a bit.
It's fun. If you are destroying the hard drive of a laptop with a glass platter, that is even more fun. Wear goggles to protect your eyes. I prefer to do it outside, so that I don't spread glass slivers all over my living room.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
The disk spaces available nowadays on some hard drives are unbelievably large at 3 or 4 TB. I wonder who has that many files to back up, and what a disaster it will be to have a hard drive with that much data failed.
It's pretty easy to get to a few TB if you have media files (music, songs, photos, videos). I've got 2TB but it's backed up several times.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #33

You can get fire/water proof enclosures for drives, ioSafe is the award winning manufacturer of hard drives, NAS network attached storage and Rugged Hard Disk Drives | Portable & Mobile Storage | Fireproof & Waterproof Desktop Backup | SSD | Network Attached Storage | Internal Disk Drives | USB 3.0, F

RAID enclosures are a good option for backup/storage, with hot swap drives.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It's fun. If you are destroying the hard drive of a laptop with a glass platter, that is even more fun. Wear goggles to protect your eyes. I prefer to do it outside, so that I don't spread glass slivers all over my living room.
LOL! Good technique on that video but I think the guy used a wimp hammer. I haven't tried it yet but a .38 from maybe 20 yards out would be fun target practice.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
LOL! Good technique on that video but I think the guy used a wimp hammer. I haven't tried it yet but a .38 from maybe 20 yards out would be fun target practice.
I asked Frank if he wanted some target practice with the hard drive from my fried computer a couple of months ago, but he declined since the local authorities might be inconvenienced if the gunshots were reported.

So, I got out my handy dandy hammer (somewhat like the one in the video, but larger!), put on my safety glasses, and easily destroyed my hard drive out on the driveway by the side door.

Very therapeutic. The experience was exactly as you might expect after watching that video.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #36

If I wasn't a cheapo I'd put that "fire proof" claim to the test.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's a well know fact that JMB designed the 1911, for the purpose of destroying hard drives:-). Oh wait, there were no hard drives then.
MRG
Old 12-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Oh man! Just think how many of these "bitty" 100 to 200 GB hard drives pulled from dead PCs or laptops that may still have a lot of life left in them.

Surely, there can be a way to wipe them clean of old data, then to use them in PCs for kids in Africa.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Oh man! Just think how many of these "bitty" 100 to 200 GB hard drives pulled from dead PCs or laptops that may still have a lot of life left in them.

Surely, there can be a way to wipe them clean of old data, then to use them in PCs for kids in Africa.
GBs ? Try MBs . I got a box full of old "working" drives less than 250MBs , just never chunked them.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
If I wasn't a cheapo I'd put that "fire proof" claim to the test.
OK, others have done it. There's a video here Keeping warm in winter the el Reg way: Setting a NAS box ON FIRE