Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-02-2007, 07:41 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
What? You think I make this stuff up?

Off the top of my head, google's had at least two big problems. One was the "google desktop" which was scrounging up peoples files and exposing the data on googles servers without letting the users know such a thing was even happening, and the other was exposing peoples personal google calendars to anyone on the planet, again without notifying the user.

Google admits Desktop security risk | CNET News.com
Corporate data slips out via Google Calendar

Theres a pretty good reason why most of this stuff has "beta" stamped all over it.
Ok thats not good, What about stuff stored in Documents & Gmail? Thanks

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Oh, and so far my first computer could crush all of your first computers.

My first computer was a VAX 11/780. Ok, it wasn't mine personally, but it was the first one I used full-time for programming (Fortran), word-processing (Digital Standard Runoff), e-mail, and games (VT100 version of Space Invaders). (Prior, limited experimentation with PETs, Apple IIs, and PDP-11s doesn't count.)

But the first computer I actually owned was a Tandy Color Computer. Or maybe it was the VIC-20.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:46 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd treat my gmail and google documents as open files. As far as I know, all the data is transmitted unencrypted and I have no idea how its stored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp3 View Post
My first computer was a VAX 11/780.
My name is written inside the very first vax 11/780, along with all of the other vax and vms developers who contributed to it.

So I touched it before you did
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:52 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh, and so far my first computer could crush all of your first computers.
Come to think of it, crushing would have probably been an upgrade...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:53 PM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
I'd treat my gmail and google documents as open files. As far as I know, all the data is transmitted unencrypted and I have no idea how its stored.

My name is written inside the very first vax 11/780, along with all of the other vax and vms developers who contributed to it.

WOW!!! That is pretty impressive. I feel like I just met one of the Beatles.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:57 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
WOW!!! That is pretty impressive. I feel like I just met one of the Beatles.
Ringo?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:58 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Nah, I just wrote a couple of device drivers and worked on the boot up interface.

Inside each 780 was a little pdp-11 (an /03 if IRC) with an 8 inch floppy that loaded the 780's microcode and started it. Since I was the resident PDP-11 guru (I did a lot of RSTS and RT-11 work), I got hauled into that.

And I was the only guy around stupid enough to not step a foot backwards when Cutler asked who wanted to port the PDP-11 2780/3780 RJE code over.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes, I remember. Figured you'd appreciate having contributed to my early corruption education.

But I'm really jealous of your PDP-8 and SoonToRetire's Imsai 8080. What I wouldn't give for some toggle switches and blinkenlights. Even better would be one of those Star Trek-y PDP-4s. Swoon.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:13 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien View Post
Let's take a step back to a time when computers were....well...not like they are today..

Is it wrong that I immediately recognized the game on the screen?

My first PC was an Apple ][+ when I was 9.

Google mail is designed to provide you with context-appropriate ads, so I wouldn't put anything private there. Besides, last I looked the Google GMail "filesystem" was a 3rd-party development, and I wouldn't count on Google keeping GMail compatible with it.

Any backup needs to be tested occasionally or it's likely worthless. I've seen quite a few times where backup tapes/CDs/floppies/whatever couldn't be read when needed.

I don't have a designed home backup plan, but my photos are copied to a web server in another state for sharing purposes. I suppose it doubles as a backup. I back up "My Documents" occasionally to another PC or a DVD. Aside from the photos I haven't made efforts to backup offsite yet. I personally wouldn't bother with imaging and backing up my PC.

I think if I were to make and follow a backup plan it would involve keeping all my important stuff in a subfolder of My Documents and cloning/mirroring/syncing that subfolder to another PC or external drive. Photos would be in a different folder but also cloned.

Actually I'm thinking I should probably vet the photos for the good ones, make a DVD and pass it out to family. There, distributed backups.

By the way, it occurs to me that written/printed documents will likely outlast any PC media we have today.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:20 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim View Post
I think if I were to make and follow a backup plan it would involve keeping all my important stuff in a subfolder of My Documents and cloning/mirroring/syncing that subfolder to another PC or external drive. Photos would be in a different folder but also cloned.
Actually, I do have a pc sans keyboard & monitor that I've networked and have sent my Red Rover docs over to. problem is I haven't refreshed it for a while, but if the house goes in the next global warming spawned tornado - could be a problem. I think the best if I could figure it was secure would a web based storage - they most likely have redundancy in their backups and it would be accessible hopefully only by me anywhere.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I use GMail, and I I've found that having all my email online is a problem when our Internet is down. Anybody use the software that allows you to download all your gmail mail to your system as a backup?
You can use Microsoft Outlook or the free Mozilla Thunderbird (link) to access your Gmail via POP3 access. To do this in Gmail go to settings >> Forwarding and POP >> then at the bottom select the right setting (enable) and I choose to leave a copy in the inbox.

If you want your sent messages downloaded to the sent folder on your local mail software you will have to setup some rules for that. If you want me to post the ones for Outlook, let me know.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:34 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What? You think I make this stuff up?
No, no, here's why:

" Your search - "Cute Fuzzy Bunny Google data insecure" - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:
Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords.
"

So you must be mistaken!

I'm sure that an e-mail from Larry & Sergey is on its way to you as we speak...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp3 View Post
What I wouldn't give for some toggle switches and blinkenlights.
Many's the time I've wanted to empty a fire extinguisher into a military AN/UYK-7 fire control computer. Especially when running diagnostics while the entire chain of command looked over our shoulders offering helpful suggestions.

Is it just the Navy, or do civilian computers also have chill-water supplies?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Is it just the Navy, or do civilian computers also have chill-water supplies?
The big ones in the basement of the Air Force building did.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:30 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

If you have an AMD computer, you better have a supply of chilled water to put out the flames. And some iron underpants to protect you from the teeth.