Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
...I pour the bacon grease in an empty can, and then once it cools I toss the can in the trash.
+1. I do the same for all the fats that are solid at room temperature, like chicken fat and so on.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Given our appreciation for all things bacon, this brings to mind a question I've been meaning to ask. What do people do with all the remaining liquid bacon fat? For grease that congesls at room temperature I usually scrape it into the trash, and if it remains liquid I add soapy water and wash it down the pipes.
I save a lot of the bacon grease for cooking. I cook in bacon grease, olive oil, coconut oil, or butter, but most meat is done with leftover bacon grease.

If I'm throwing it out, I scrape it into the trash can.

Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
?.......I try not to pour anything that might clog down my drain/garbage disposal so I save glass jars from stuff like pickles, olives, etc. for this purpose.
+1
I put stuff like that either in old jars or, after it cools a little more, into a ziplock bag with other table scraps and such. Then into the garbage can!
Old 11-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of pickles and olives, I sometimes save pickle and olive 'juice' and mix it with vegetable oil instead of vinegar to use as a meat marinade. I always hate just pouring it down the drain but haven't found any better use for it. Have any of you found a better use?
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #25

If there was a way to brew beer from bacon fat, then that would be ideal. Bacon beer

I pour fat into an empty tin or jar and put it in the regular trash.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know what DW does with it.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #27

DW does not do it. Yet when I was a kid, fat from anything was saved, it is lard. Lard was spread on bread, added some raw onions, or sliced peppers, scallions, anotherwords it was food. That no longer happened once I arrived in the US.

Here in the US nowadays I dump the grease and cooking oil on the outdoor fire pit. Works well as fire starter even after weeks, unless some critter comes by and laps it up.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have noticed that my drains flow more freely if I pour boiling water in them now and then.
I once had a plumber tell me this was the best possible thing to do for your drains; it would keep them from ever clogging.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I once had a plumber tell me this was the best possible thing to do for your drains; it would keep them from ever clogging.
This is probably one of those "commonsense" things that doesn't end up to be very accurate. Water, no matter how hot initially, would cool down quite rapidly and be, at the very least (most?) "room" temperature, before reaching the main line.

I would have to fall into line with the "just don't put it in your drain" group.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #30

For those of us who spent assigned duty time as KP in army. Fondly remember cleaning out the grease traps. NOT

KP=Kitchen Patrol
Old 11-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
For those of us who spent assigned duty time as KP in army AND AIR FORCE. Fondly remember cleaning out the grease traps. NOT

KP=Kitchen Patrol
The army has no monopoly on kitchen grease. My un-fondest memory was the week I spent in the "grease rack" where 50 or more garbage cans came to me daily for steam cleaning out the grease and other smelly crap in them.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I mop mine up with paper towels (using tongs) and throw the towels into the trash. That pan is almost clean by the time it gets into the sink. Sometimes we just let the dog lick it and pop that sucker right back into the cabinet.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #33

We save cans that once held soup or beans or something and pour any grease in those, put it in the freezer for a while, and it goes out with the next trash pickup. That's what we've been doing with it but after reading this thread I'll have to reconsider. We don't have dogs to feed it to though.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I had friends (married couple) that used to fry up 3 packages of bacon, then take all the grease and mix it in with potatoes and eggs hobbo breakfast. OMG it was good when they cooked in camp. Sadly to say the key word here is "HAD". They both died of heart disease. Both died from heart attack.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #35

Since we live in the boonies, we throw our leftover grease outside for the wild animals to eat
Old 11-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYDREAMER View Post
ISadly to say the key word here is "HAD". They both died of heart disease. Both died from heart attack.
Quote:
Does a set of data make you feel more comfortable? More successful? Then your interpretation of it is likely wrong.
Susan Etlinger: What do we do with all this big data? | Talk Video | TED.com
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #37

I cook bacon in an iron skillet and save some fat for cooking, baking.....great in potato salad (potatoes, celery, hardboil egg, mayo, crumbled bacon, 2 tablespoons bacon fat).
Husband microwaves his bacon on paper plate and paper towels. Grease absorbed by paper towels and thrown in trash.
I can remember a friends father, use to smear bacon fat on baking potatoes then wrap in foil to bake. I can't remember if it added any flavor to the potato.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

LOL, are you implying that I'm making an incorrect assumption that these people died from their extremely high fatty diet?

I love bacon like everybody else, but the idea of eating bacon fat scares me to death. The fat doesnt only clog house plumbing!
Old 11-25-2014, 11:33 PM   #39

We don't have it often thanks to DW. But when we do, I save the grease in closed lid jar in the freezer.
Once its enough, I put bird seed into a can without ripples on it, or a frozen OJ cardboard 'can' is best.
Then pour in the melted fat.
let it harden and the wild birds love it in the winter.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:18 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
If there was a way to brew beer from bacon fat, then that would be ideal. Bacon beer .
Bacon beer? That's a Nobel Prize level discovery, and I bet whoever did it would be richer than Bill Gates.