Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-24-2007, 10:02 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Sounds like Don's wife is trying to slowly kill him off
Nah - just even things out a bit. My family has longer life genes than hers. She thinks it is unfair that silver haired old men are popular sex objects in the old folks homes and doesn't want me to outlast her for long.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2007, 01:05 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Using a bic lighter, apply a flame to the dangly end of the bacon until a flame is established and it becomes self sustaining
Yikes...I thought that I was the one that invented this sinful, unhealthy, disgusting, decadent, interesting activity. Practically every time that I fire up the BBQ, I secretly enjoy a few bacon slices that are attached to the end of skewers.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:29 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

[quote=cute fuzzy bunny;592773]

Shirred eggs soon to follow.

/quote]
whats a shirred egg?
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:07 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Those are easy. Brush a bunch of ramekins with melted butter. Break one egg into each. Top with a teaspoon or so of cream, or if you dont have that, half and half, or if you dont have that, a teaspoon size chunk of butter. You can throw some grated cheese on top if you're in the mood, but not a lot.

Put in a 350 degree oven for about 9-10 minutes, until almost set. Remove and top with foil. They should still be a little underdone in the middle since they'll stand for at least a few minutes and finish cooking. Run a butter knife around the edges and flip the ramekin upside down over a plate and you get a perfect egg.

What you get is basically a really moist, creamy poached egg without the hassle, plus a nice little lightly browned cream topping. And they hold for 10-15 minutes+ due to the heat holding power of the ramekin. So you can make a bunch of these while baking a bunch of BACON in the same oven.

If you're going to serve them quickly, you can do them the same way in muffin pans.

I can make bacon and shirred eggs for two dozen people in about 15 minutes in the oven with almost no work. Ideal for sunday football brunches.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:32 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
.... make a bunch of these while baking a bunch of BACON in the same oven.

If you're going to serve them quickly, you can do them the same way in muffin pans.

I can make bacon and shirred eggs for two dozen people in about 15 minutes in the oven with almost no work. Ideal for sunday football brunches.

Thanks for the suggestion and instructions. I'm doing this in the AM. I have waaay to many relatives in residence this week and this looks about my speed.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:49 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Glad to be of service, m'am.

Large ramekins can take two eggs or more eggs, but you might need to cook them longer. Some folks saute some vegetables like peppers or onions and spoon a bit of that into the bottom of the ramekin before cracking the eggs in. You can also cut a 2" round out of the middle of thick bread and use that as a mold for the eggs, or even bake them in a hollowed out tomato.

Emeril of course, goes nuts: Old Fashioned Shirred Eggs Recipe: Recipes: Food Network

Someone here also kicked in a recipe for the er forum cookbook that involved an omelet bar where everyone put what meats/vegetables they wanted into a little plastic bag, some beaten eggs were added and the bags were dropped into a large pan of boiling water, producing a large number of individual omelets all at once.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:01 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

For large scale breakfast feeding with minimal aggravation, try this one. Breakfast "strata" made up the night before and thrown in the oven in the morning.

* 8 eggs
* 3 cups white bread torn up
* 3 cups cooked cubed ham, sausage or bacon
* 8 oz. grated cheese
* 3 Tablespoons all-pourpose flour
* 1 Tablespoon dry mustard
* 3 Tablespoons butter
* 3 cups milk

In a medium mixing bowl, beat together the following: eggs, seasonings, butter and milk. Set aside.

In a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch pan, layer bread cubes, ham cubes and cheese. Pour ingedients from the mixing bowl over everything. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, take it out about 30 minutes in advance and then bake at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes until lightly browned. Let set at room temperature 10 minutes before serving.

You may also add cooled sauteed mushrooms, onions, peppers or asparagus in addition to or in place of the meat.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:08 AM   #28
Administrator

CFB - I took your advice and my relatives have decided that maybe I'm not such a disaster in kitchen.

I put some chopped (canned) artichoke hearts and blob of boursin in the bottom of each dish and they turned out great. I flopped them over onto a toasted english muffin half and left the dish covering the egg (on the muffin) and served them. All they had to do was pull off the dish and drool.

Thanks again.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:26 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...px-Ramekin.jpg

http://www.cheesesupply.com/images/P-23-280.jpg

Me? I'll be at Zippy's...
http://www.96seven44.com/images/zipp...o_omelette.jpg

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:32 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg baked eggs.jpg (148.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-26-2007, 08:36 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

This version has the ramekins lined with prosciutto, some sauteed mushrooms at the bottom, baked egg on top. The prosciutto crisps up and retains the cup shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bakedeggs.jpg (13.8 KB, 238 views)
Old 12-26-2007, 08:36 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I first thought Janet had misspelled bourbon.

gross.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:39 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I just wanna know if theres spam in it.

Better still, maybe I dont wanna know...
Old 12-26-2007, 08:47 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Looks great to me...no beans! (Those dark spots are raisins, right?)
Old 12-26-2007, 09:26 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Wow, I am glad the living cheap thread brought me back here. This ramekin stuff sounds great for breakfasts at the weekend cottage. I thought a ramekin was a condom.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:37 AM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ahhh - fellow bacon aficionados!! You guys are the best! Thank you CFB for the flow chart
Old 12-26-2007, 11:13 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

So CFB if things don't work out in ER you can always open a restaurant that features some of your recipes.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:52 AM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I just wanna know if theres spam in it.

Better still, maybe I dont wanna know...

mmm spam...
Old 12-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post

gross.
Looks good to me. But then I am a grossermensch.

Ha
Old 12-26-2007, 06:06 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USK Coastie View Post
So CFB if things don't work out in ER you can always open a restaurant that features some of your recipes.
The LAST thing I want to do is get involved in a restaurant. I worked in a couple when I was younger and the only job that seemed to suck more than mine was the owners.