Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.
flyfishnevada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Smith
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro3 View Post
I make my own bacon. Cured for 3 days, smoked for 3 days then chilled, sliced and vacuum sealed.





You are evil! In a good way, though!
__________________

__________________
Retired July 4th, 2010 at age 43
Trout Bum, Writer, Full-Time Dad and Husband


flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
So, who eats more bacon
Uh, that would be me.
It's my most essential nutrient.
__________________

__________________
Pas de lieu Rhône que nous.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 230
Thanks for this thread. I had a piece of mahi mahi that I was going to make for dinner tonight and was thinking about how I was going to prepare it, when I stumbled across this thread.

Marinated the fish, cut up some bacon and fried it in pan, removed the bacon and pan-fried the fish in the bacon fat. Ate it with rice and the bacon bits on top.

Hit the spot. God I love bacon.
__________________
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 5,686
It's not quite bacon, but does anyone here like chicken liver?

One good thing is it's very cheap. Seems to have a poor reputation. I only eat it a few times a year in the winter, sautéed with butter.

I'm no cook but came across the following recipe:
Quote:
FRIED CHICKEN LIVERS WITH EGGS
1/2 lb. washed chopped chicken livers
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 beaten eggs


Fry washed chopped chicken livers in garlic and butter. Add salt and pepper. Stir well. Pour over beaten eggs and cover. Cook on very low heat until eggs are set.
Might cut this down by 1/2 or even 1/4 for a very hearty breakfast.
__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
It's not quite bacon, but does anyone here like chicken liver?
I like chicken livers, also sautéed in butter, with onion and garlic and heavily peppered. I usually eat them for lunch or better yet dinner, as a glass of red wine is really good with them.

You can get quite full on $1.25 worth of chicken livers. I think I might try your recipe with the leftovers- just chop the cooked liver and continue with your recipe. Leftovers are also good with some more onion and some cheese melted on top. Nice dinner with salad and some broccoli.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
Today we had beef liver prepared Swedish style, and I've started eating chicken livers again. I got started on this when someone posted the article on 9 steps to perfect health.

Liver has gotten a bad rap based on the idea that it filters out toxins, but that doesn't mean that the toxins stay in the liver.
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 5,686
Somehow I had gotten the idea that there is bad cholesterol in chicken liver. DW doesn't like chicken liver so she might have been the source . Is this wrong? If it is I might go hog wild on chicken liver.
__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rambler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro3 View Post
I make my own bacon. Cured for 3 days, smoked for 3 days then chilled, sliced and vacuum sealed.





Living in Japan, we can't always get good bacon. It all depends on whether Costco has it in stock or not. The local stuff is not worth buying. Costco does, however, stock pork belly, as it is popular in Japanese cooking. So, I bought a smoker (at Costco), a big bucket and salt and sugar (all at Costco), cured and smoked my own. It was really good the several times I did it (8-9 pounds at a time), but when you travel as much for work as I do, it is really tough to keep a good stash of bacon going. I'm definitely going try it again when I retire.

R
__________________
Find Joy in the Journey...
Rambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 5,686
I looked up some nutrition facts on chicken liver and I'm afraid DW was right. One ounce is 53% of recommended cholesterol per day. Probably a good reason to go quite light on that chicken liver recipe above.

Nutrition facts: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Chicken, liver, all classes, cooked, simmered

And here is the dirt on eggs: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Egg, whole, cooked, scrambled

I know, this is no fun to read.
__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro3 View Post
I make my own bacon. Cured for 3 days, smoked for 3 days then chilled, sliced and vacuum sealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Living in Japan, we can't always get good bacon. It all depends on whether Costco has it in stock or not. The local stuff is not worth buying. Costco does, however, stock pork belly, as it is popular in Japanese cooking. So, I bought a smoker (at Costco), a big bucket and salt and sugar (all at Costco), cured and smoked my own. It was really good the several times I did it (8-9 pounds at a time), but when you travel as much for work as I do, it is really tough to keep a good stash of bacon going. I'm definitely going try it again when I retire.

R
skipro and/or Rambler - Please post your recipe/process. That looks fantastic, and since you say Costco carries this, I just have to give it a try. Three days of smoking will require some thought....

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I looked up some nutrition facts on chicken liver and I'm afraid DW was right. One ounce is 53% of recommended cholesterol per day. Probably a good reason to go quite light on that chicken liver recipe above.

Nutrition facts: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Chicken, liver, all classes, cooked, simmered

And here is the dirt on eggs: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Egg, whole, cooked, scrambled

I know, this is no fun to read.
The problem with that is that dietary cholesterol is just not bad for you. It is in fact good for you. Crazy talk, I know, but research this obsessively as I have and you may come to the same conclusion.

Although this is just from a muscle-building site, it is a good summary of the issue:
I want to put to rest the belief that fat and dietary cholesterol are bad for us. I will also show proof that aside from being the best diet for stripping fat, low-carb nutrition actually improves health markers.
And here's the description of this book:

Amazon.com: Fat and Cholesterol are Good for You (9789197555388): Uffe Ravnskov: Books
Did you know? ...that cholesterol is not a deadly poison, but a substance vital to the cells of all mammals? ...that your body produces three to four times more cholesterol than you eat? ...that the internal production increases when you eat only small amounts of cholesterol and decreases when you eat large amounts? ...that heart patients haven't eaten more saturated fat than other people? ...that stroke patients have eaten less? ...that people with low cholesterol become just as atherosclerotic as people with high? ...that high cholesterol is not a risk factor for women? ...that high cholesterol is not a risk factor for old people although by far most heart attacks occur after age 65? ...that many of the cholesterol-lowering drugs are dangerous to your health and may shorten your life? ...that the cholesterol campaign creates immense prosperity for researchers, doctors, medical journals, drug producers and the food industry?
__________________
TromboneAl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets
BOBOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 415
Chicken livers? Bleah. Isn't this a BACON thread?
__________________
I still don't get it...
BOBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 5,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
Chicken livers? Bleah. Isn't this a BACON thread?
You are right, it is definitely a bacon thread. However, in the evolution of meat, chicken livers developed before bacon. True, this goes back to ancient history. So as we move forward with bacon, we have to acknowledge the chicken liver.

Here is a link to chicken liver and bacon evolution: http://www.chicken_livers_rule.com
__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 5,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The problem with that is that dietary cholesterol is just not bad for you. It is in fact good for you. Crazy talk, I know, but research this obsessively as I have and you may come to the same conclusion.
....
And here's the description of this book:

Amazon.com: Fat and Cholesterol are Good for You (9789197555388): Uffe Ravnskov: Books
Thanks Al for the references. I notice the book author seems to have decent credentials as is creator and spokesman of The International Network of Cholesterol Skeptics. This is way more information then I want to actually read up on. So I'll just assume that maybe the cholesterol stuff is a bit more hyped then it should be by the medical profession. Still since I'm a bit on the edge despite running >20 miles/wk, I'll be a bit cautious here.

I'm still going ahead to eat some chicken liver. My plan is to have it occasionally and to saute it in butter. Probably will be no more then 1/4 lb per serving. For me the breakfast would be (1) one peeled orange, (2) chicken liver with toast, (3) glass skimmed milk, and (4) large coffee.
__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #55
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
As a kid, I used to love my bacon (about 4 strips) on an open faced grilled cheese sandwich; I can smell it now.
__________________
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
I used to have bacon and peanut butter sandwiches, sounds weird, tastes great. Also bacon and avocado.
__________________
TromboneAl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
I found this interesting:
Sodium ascorbate (vitamin C) and sodium erythorbate (isoascorbate) are added to try and prevent nitrosamine formation. According to the article, "Nitrosamines and Cancer", the benefit of vitamin C was discovered serendipitously.

In the late 1960s researchers at the University of Nebraska Medical Center were studying nitrosamine formation from a drug called aminopyrine. Mysteriously, when they used a new batch of aminopyrine, no nitrosamines were formed. Further investigation revealed that the new batch of aminopyrine was formulated with ascorbic acid as a preservative, whereas the original batch that readily formed nitrosamines was not.
From: purple medical blog: Does Vitamin C Prevent Nitrosamine Formation What are Nitrites and Why are they in Hot dogs and What is the Connection to Cancer?
__________________
TromboneAl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I used to have bacon and peanut butter sandwiches, sounds weird, tastes great. Also bacon and avocado.
Love bacon, love peanut butter sandwiches - never, ever gave thought to have them together. I'll have to try it.
__________________
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,199
The article below seems like a good summary of the nitrosamine issue. It talks about how vitamin C reduces the amount of nitrosamines that are created during cooking, but I don't see any direct evidence that taking vitamin C with bacon will help.
Nitrosamines are carcinogenic in animals. What level of exposure to these carcinogens do humans have? A 1981 report from the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) estimated that the per capita exposure is about 1 microgram per day from foods and beverages, mainly from fried bacon and beer. Current exposure is probably closer to 0.1 microgram per day due to successful efforts over the past 20 years to reduce nitrosamine formation in foods and beverages. In contrast, the NAS report estimated an exposure of 17 micrograms per day from cigarette smoking, although the use of filters has somewhat lowered smokers' exposure. Recent reports indicate that industrial exposure, such as found in a rubber or chemical manufacturing plant, can be relatively high.


Do these types of exposure to nitrosamines cause human cancer? An enormous amount of indirect evidence indicates that nitrosamines are human carcinogens. For instance, tobacco-specific nitrosamines are one of the major groups of chemical carcinogens in tobacco products, and no doubt remains about the causal link between tobacco use and cancer. But it is difficult to evaluate the risk of cancer from daily exposure of 1 microgram from foods and beverages.
__________________
TromboneAl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Huston55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Bay Area
Posts: 1,802
OK, you got me...I suppose some level of nitrosamines is acceptable.

The only other choice would be to just give everything away now and walk off the end of the pier. Well, there's always wine.
__________________

__________________
You may be whatever you resolve to be.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bacon Flowchart cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 472 07-24-2016 11:24 PM
What is actually going to happen? SecondCor521 FIRE Related Public Policy 17 07-26-2011 09:33 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:52 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.