Bacon Revelations

I looked up some nutrition facts on chicken liver and I'm afraid DW was right. One ounce is 53% of recommended cholesterol per day. Probably a good reason to go quite light on that chicken liver recipe above.

Nutrition facts: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Chicken, liver, all classes, cooked, simmered

And here is the dirt on eggs: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Egg, whole, cooked, scrambled

I know, this is no fun to read.

The problem with that is that dietary cholesterol is just not bad for you. It is in fact good for you. Crazy talk, I know, but research this obsessively as I have and you may come to the same conclusion.

Although this is just from a muscle-building site, it is a good summary of the issue:
And here's the description of this book:

Amazon.com: Fat and Cholesterol are Good for You (9789197555388): Uffe Ravnskov: Books
Did you know? ...that cholesterol is not a deadly poison, but a substance vital to the cells of all mammals? ...that your body produces three to four times more cholesterol than you eat? ...that the internal production increases when you eat only small amounts of cholesterol and decreases when you eat large amounts? ...that heart patients haven't eaten more saturated fat than other people? ...that stroke patients have eaten less? ...that people with low cholesterol become just as atherosclerotic as people with high? ...that high cholesterol is not a risk factor for women? ...that high cholesterol is not a risk factor for old people although by far most heart attacks occur after age 65? ...that many of the cholesterol-lowering drugs are dangerous to your health and may shorten your life? ...that the cholesterol campaign creates immense prosperity for researchers, doctors, medical journals, drug producers and the food industry?

Chicken livers? Bleah. Isn't this a BACON thread?

Chicken livers? Bleah. Isn't this a BACON thread?
You are right, it is definitely a bacon thread. However, in the evolution of meat, chicken livers developed before bacon. True, this goes back to ancient history. So as we move forward with bacon, we have to acknowledge the chicken liver.

Here is a link to chicken liver and bacon evolution: http://www.chicken_livers_rule.com

The problem with that is that dietary cholesterol is just not bad for you. It is in fact good for you. Crazy talk, I know, but research this obsessively as I have and you may come to the same conclusion.
And here's the description of this book:

Amazon.com: Fat and Cholesterol are Good for You (9789197555388): Uffe Ravnskov: Books
Thanks Al for the references. I notice the book author seems to have decent credentials as is creator and spokesman of The International Network of Cholesterol Skeptics. This is way more information then I want to actually read up on. So I'll just assume that maybe the cholesterol stuff is a bit more hyped then it should be by the medical profession. Still since I'm a bit on the edge despite running >20 miles/wk, I'll be a bit cautious here.

I'm still going ahead to eat some chicken liver. My plan is to have it occasionally and to saute it in butter. Probably will be no more then 1/4 lb per serving. For me the breakfast would be (1) one peeled orange, (2) chicken liver with toast, (3) glass skimmed milk, and (4) large coffee.

As a kid, I used to love my bacon (about 4 strips) on an open faced grilled cheese sandwich; I can smell it now.

I used to have bacon and peanut butter sandwiches, sounds weird, tastes great. Also bacon and avocado.

I found this interesting:

Sodium ascorbate (vitamin C) and sodium erythorbate (isoascorbate) are added to try and prevent nitrosamine formation. According to the article, "Nitrosamines and Cancer", the benefit of vitamin C was discovered serendipitously.

In the late 1960s researchers at the University of Nebraska Medical Center were studying nitrosamine formation from a drug called aminopyrine. Mysteriously, when they used a new batch of aminopyrine, no nitrosamines were formed. Further investigation revealed that the new batch of aminopyrine was formulated with ascorbic acid as a preservative, whereas the original batch that readily formed nitrosamines was not.
From: purple medical blog: Does Vitamin C Prevent Nitrosamine Formation What are Nitrites and Why are they in Hot dogs and What is the Connection to Cancer?

The article below seems like a good summary of the nitrosamine issue. It talks about how vitamin C reduces the amount of nitrosamines that are created during cooking, but I don't see any direct evidence that taking vitamin C with bacon will help.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif]Nitrosamines are carcinogenic in animals. What level of exposure to these carcinogens do humans have? A 1981 report from the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) estimated that the per capita exposure is about 1 microgram per day from foods and beverages, mainly from fried bacon and beer. Current exposure is probably closer to 0.1 microgram per day due to successful efforts over the past 20 years to reduce nitrosamine formation in foods and beverages. In contrast, the NAS report estimated an exposure of 17 micrograms per day from cigarette smoking, although the use of filters has somewhat lowered smokers' exposure. Recent reports indicate that industrial exposure, such as found in a rubber or chemical manufacturing plant, can be relatively high.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif]Do these types of exposure to nitrosamines cause human cancer? An enormous amount of indirect evidence indicates that nitrosamines are human carcinogens. For instance, tobacco-specific nitrosamines are one of the major groups of chemical carcinogens in tobacco products, and no doubt remains about the causal link between tobacco use and cancer. But it is difficult to evaluate the risk of cancer from daily exposure of 1 microgram from foods and beverages.[/FONT]

Last edited:
The article below seems like a good summary of the nitrosamine issue. It talks about how vitamin C reduces the amount of nitrosamines that are created during cooking, but I don't see any direct evidence that taking vitamin C with bacon will help.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif]Nitrosamines are carcinogenic in animals. What level of exposure to these carcinogens do humans have? A 1981 report from the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) estimated that the per capita exposure is about 1 microgram per day from foods and beverages, mainly from fried bacon and beer. Current exposure is probably closer to 0.1 microgram per day due to successful efforts over the past 20 years to reduce nitrosamine formation in foods and beverages. In contrast, the NAS report estimated an exposure of 17 micrograms per day from cigarette smoking, although the use of filters has somewhat lowered smokers' exposure. Recent reports indicate that industrial exposure, such as found in a rubber or chemical manufacturing plant, can be relatively high.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif]Do these types of exposure to nitrosamines cause human cancer? An enormous amount of indirect evidence indicates that nitrosamines are human carcinogens. For instance, tobacco-specific nitrosamines are one of the major groups of chemical carcinogens in tobacco products, and no doubt remains about the causal link between tobacco use and cancer. But it is difficult to evaluate the risk of cancer from daily exposure of 1 microgram from foods and beverages.[/FONT]

OK, you got me...I suppose some level of nitrosamines is acceptable. ;)

The only other choice would be to just give everything away now and walk off the end of the pier. Well, there's always wine.

After nine days of lower sodium, and higher potassium, I have seen no change in my blood pressure. If something were going to happen, I think it would have happened by now, right?

Based on an email from HaHa, I realized that I really hadn't increased my potassium by that much. I started eating a lot of spinach, and also taking a magnesium supplement, and my systolic blood pressure has dropped by 15 points. We'll see if that holds.

And, in case you didn't see the SuperBowl

Based on an email from HaHa, I realized that I really hadn't increased my potassium by that much. I started eating a lot of spinach, and also taking a magnesium supplement, and my systolic blood pressure has dropped by 15 points. We'll see if that holds.
I'd be curious if it was the spinach or the magnesium supplement.

I'd be curious if it was the spinach or the magnesium supplement.

Right, me too. I want to get it down fast, and hopefully by my appt with the doc (Feb 29). If it stays down, I'll eliminate one of those two things, and see what happens.

Spinach is one of the few sources of potassium that isn't high carb. And it really tastes good. I roast garlic pieces in butter and olive oil in a big pot, then fill it with spinach, salt it with potassium salt, and add grated cheese and heavy whipping cream, and it wilts down to a good side dish size. It's
"wow" food.

I'm also eating more almonds that usual (salted with potassium salt). Systolic was 128 today.

Right, me too. I want to get it down fast, and hopefully by my appt with the doc (Feb 29). If it stays down, I'll eliminate one of those two things, and see what happens.

Spinach is one of the few sources of potassium that isn't high carb. And it really tastes good. I roast garlic pieces in butter and olive oil in a big pot, then fill it with spinach, salt it with potassium salt, and add grated cheese and heavy whipping cream, and it wilts down to a good side dish size. It's
"wow" food.

I'm also eating more almonds that usual (salted with potassium salt). Systolic was 128 today.
Great results- congrats.

Ha

...(snip)...
"wow" food.

Just notice that the V8 (low sodium) at Safeway had 34% of recommended daily (1180 mg) of Potassium.

Nice, but probably expensive. The frugal-minded among us would opt to be embalm in bacon grease.

I wonder if that would make the funeral-goers feel hungry. :hide:

I know it's an old thread but couldn't let this one get past notice. From the same company that brought you the bacon coffin now arrives... Ta Da!...

The Bacon Condom

The standard of living is thus increased another notch.

Honestly, who buys these things anyway? I guess someone must since there is a market for it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom